The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal]Artemi Panarin has listed Vancouver and Toronto as “Canadian options” (and Toronto can’t afford him)

Artemi Panarin has listed Vancouver and Toronto as “Canadian options” (and Toronto can’t afford him)

For those of you poor souls that have been reading my posts these past few months, you’ll know that I’ve never been aboard the Artemi Panarin train.    

Why?  Because - I’ve yet to see evidence of a team winning a cup when the core takes up an inappropriately high percentage of the cap.  Washington was the only team to have “kinda sorta” achieved this feat last year (even then, Ovie’s 9.5ish cap hit isn’t outrageously high in today’s NHL), but aside from that, all cup winning teams these past 10 years had relatively (relatively being the key word) cost controlled cap hits to their top players, whether it was Chicago, LA, Boston, Pittsburgh, or one of St.Louis/Boston this year.

Cost Controlled elite talent + depth is the key.

Having said that, I now do see one HUGE opportunity in signing Panarin.....an opportunity that I didn’t see before.

IF the Canucks can sign Artemi Panarin on July 1st, I would absolutely move Brock Boeser for a young proven defenseman....preferably one that plays the right side.  

I’m talking Miro Heiskanen, Charlie McAvoy, etc.  Those kind of guys.  (Although I can’t see Dallas moving Heiskanen).

NOW all of a sudden, the Canucks would have one of the future strongest and most balanced line-ups in all of hockey.  Furthermore, trading Boeser for someone with a year left on an ELC (McAvoy) would give the Canucks more future cap flexibility and would increase our window.

Panarin-Pettersson-Sutter (I’d use Sutter here since he can score goals when placed in offensive roles and also has a strong defensive sense.  As a winger, his non-existent playmaking ability also wouldn’t be an issue.  Just go to the net and the two superstars will find you).

Pearson-Horvat-Goldobin

Baertschi-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Eriksson (put LE on a higher line if one of the above 3 RW’s falter.  Given LE’s success with EP at the World’s, maybe you can just put LE on the Pettersson/Panarin line to begin with.....and have Sutter on the 4th).

Edler-McAvoy

Hughes-Tanev

Hutton-Stecher

Markstrom

Demko

Bringing In a guy like McAvoy would also allow us to move on from Tanev (via trade or letting walk away) without having to worry about our RD being completely shackled in his absence.

From an organizational depth standpoint, prospects such as Lockwood and Jasek might be able to realistically step into the line-up sooner than later since there would be an extra vacancy on that RW side.

The Tl;dr version of this post:

If the Canucks sign Panarin, they should trade Boeser for a young proven RD on an ELC like Charlie McAvoy since we would now have an extremely balanced line-up with no major organizational weaknesses.

Edited by Hindustan Smyl
  • Haha 3
  • Wat 2

Panarin is a great player, but UFA signings rarely work on the back end of the contract (unless your name is Chara) so if you are putting out the $$$ now in hopes our team has a legit SCF chance in the next 3-4 years.  I could get onboard as long as JB doesn't do anything else stupid with his cap... because these signing tighten things up big time.

Yes to Panarin, and obviously keep Boeser.  Not sure how this is a discussion as both are obvious keepers.

As I have said many times before:

Sign Pararin (Should be our #1 target)

Trade for Ristolainen (Using next years first + Hutton)

Trade for Puljujarvi (Using a second or third this year)

Draft one of Broberg/Zegras/Boldy

Bring back Tree ASAP

Welcome to the playoffs.....

Edited by Kobayashi Maru
  • Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Yes to Panarin, and obviously keep Boeser.  Not sure how this is a discussion as both are obvious keepers.

As I have said many times before:

Sign Pararin (Should be our #1 target)

Trade for Ristolainen (Using next years first + Hutton)

Trade for Puljujarvi (Using a second or third this year)

Draft one of Broberg/Zegras/Boldy

Bring back Tree ASAP

Welcome to the playoffs.....

Buffalo laughs at you and hangs up.

Tryamkin still has years left on his KHL deal.

4 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Artemi Panarin has listed Vancouver and Toronto as “Canadian options” (and Toronto can’t afford him)

For those of you poor souls that have been reading my posts these past few months, you’ll know that I’ve never been aboard the Artemi Panarin train.    

Why?  Because - I’ve yet to see evidence of a team winning a cup when the core takes up an inappropriately high percentage of the cap.  Washington was the only team to have “kinda sorta” achieved this feat last year (even then, Ovie’s 9.5ish cap hit isn’t outrageously high in today’s NHL), but aside from that, all cup winning teams these past 10 years had relatively (relatively being the key word) cost controlled cap hits to their top players, whether it was Chicago, LA, Boston, Pittsburgh, or one of St.Louis/Boston this year.

Cost Controlled elite talent + depth is the key.

Having said that, I now do see one HUGE opportunity in signing Panarin.....an opportunity that I didn’t see before.

IF the Canucks can sign Artemi Panarin on July 1st, I would absolutely move Brock Boeser for a young proven defenseman....preferably one that plays the right side.  

I’m talking Miro Heiskanen, Charlie McAvoy, etc.  Those kind of guys.  (Although I can’t see Dallas moving Heiskanen).

NOW all of a sudden, the Canucks would have one of the future strongest and most balanced line-ups in all of hockey.  Furthermore, trading Boeser for someone with a year left on an ELC (McAvoy) would give the Canucks more future cap flexibility and would increase our window.

Panarin-Pettersson-Sutter (I’d use Sutter here since he can score goals when placed in offensive roles and also has a strong defensive sense.  As a winger, his non-existent playmaking ability also wouldn’t be an issue.  Just go to the net and the two superstars will find you).

Pearson-Horvat-Goldobin

Baertschi-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Eriksson (put LE on a higher line if one of the above 3 RW’s falter.  Given LE’s success with EP at the World’s, maybe you can just put LE on the Pettersson/Panarin line to begin with.....and have Sutter on the 4th).

Edler-McAvoy

Hughes-Tanev

Hutton-Stecher

Markstrom

Demko

Bringing In a guy like McAvoy would also allow us to move on from Tanev (via trade or letting walk away) without having to worry about our RD being completely shackled in his absence.

From an organizational depth standpoint, prospects such as Lockwood and Jasek might be able to realistically step into the line-up sooner than later since there would be an extra vacancy on that RW side.

The Tl;dr version of this post:

If the Canucks sign Panarin, they should trade Boeser for a young proven RD on an ELC like Charlie McAvoy since we would now have an extremely balanced line-up with no major organizational weaknesses.

Why the hell would Boston move McAvoy? They are stacked at forward and after Chara is gone they really don't have much on the back end. Bowser would be a second liner on the Bruins.

Move Boeser.lol. So we get a top line winger and lose a top line winger so we don’t actually have any more scoring depth. 

Get panarin keep boeser and stay the course don’t make the same mistakes Edmonton did and start trading away young top guys to fill holes it didn’t work there it won’t work here. 

Keep drafting welll and have depth  and not be a  one line team with two stars. The blues don’t have a bonified #1 theynseem to be doing fine so much for that argument. Sjs had two #1 dmen they shouldn’t have made past the first round. 

We need to keep adding skill and start subtracting the duds. Spooner eriksdone sutter schaller grandlund ect........

Nows the time for patience not shortsighted bandaids trades that will cost us in the long term. 

13 minutes ago, Baer. said:

Buffalo laughs at you and hangs up.

Tryamkin still has years left on his KHL deal.

Why the hell would Boston move McAvoy? They are stacked at forward and after Chara is gone they really don't have much on the back end. Bowser would be a second liner on the Bruins.

I don't think any of us know the true value but there have been rumours that they are willing to move him.  If we need to add some more like DiPietro/Lind/Lockwood then we find a way to make it work because that is what we need and his value appears lower than potential at this point.  Tryamkin's contract ends in early next year.  He's not signed for years.  If he doesn't pay out his contract he likely joins at the end of our season.