The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal]Artemi Panarin has listed Vancouver and Toronto as “Canadian options” (and Toronto can’t afford him)

I'm interested but also gotta keep Boes.

Pain Pete Boes

Pearson Bo Leivo

Bae Sutter Goldy

Roussel Beag Virt

Motte Gaud

I think our D will be fine sure a high end RHD would be nice but I think once Juolevi Hughes and Woo solidify themselves we will be respectable on the back end. 

It's rumored that Panarin and Bobrosky want to go to the same team as a pair.

Re-sign Ian Clark (Bobs former goaltender coach).

Trade 2 x 6th round picks (2019) for Pan and Bob rights with future considerations (2nd and 3rd 2020) if they sign.  Trade Markstrom for a pick (2nd in 2020).

56 minutes ago, mpt said:

Just remember at the time they signed their contracts Sidney Crosby was paid the same % of team cap as McDavid. 

Yes, and the Penguins didn’t win a cup for another 7 years.   It was only after Chicago and LA gave raises to Kane, Toews, and Kopitar, combined with the cap continuing to increase, that Pittsburgh was able to re-emerge as the alpha.

50 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I'm interested but also gotta keep Boes.

Pain Pete Boes

Pearson Bo Leivo

Bae Sutter Goldy

Roussel Beag Virt

Motte Gaud

I think our D will be fine sure a high end RHD would be nice but I think once Juolevi Hughes and Woo solidify themselves we will be respectable on the back end. 

That 1st line would be a major pain in the butt to opposing teams .

• Cheers 1

Brock Boeser:

I’m getting a lot of feedback with regards to the idea of moving Boeser if we were to land Panarin.   First off, I just want to make it clear to everyone that I do love Boeser and am glad that he plays for us.    Having said that, let me explain my line of thinking here:

1) Getting a good young quality Right Sided defenseman is MUCH MUCH more difficult than a Top 6 right winger.  It’s not even really close really.  Teams very rarely give up such an asset but if you ever have a chance to acquire one, you take it.

2) In terms of having a top line, not every single player on said top line, has to be a superstar.   More times than not, one of the guys on the top line serves as the “ying” to the “yang” of the other two guys and helps cover up any limitations of the other two players.  Case in point - Brendan Morrison brought some defensive acumen and responsibility to the WCE line.  Burrows brought a net presence and defensive acumen to the Sedin line.  Neither Burrows nor Morrison were superstars, but played very integral roles on highly successful top lines.

Hence - I disagree with the notion that we’d need BOTH Panarin and Boeser.  

IF the Canucks were lucky enough to sign Panarin, I would argue that our next biggest task would be in finding a young blue chip right sided defenseman that could form a future “alpha” top pairing with Quinn Hughes one day and have a legit shot at being one of the top defensive pairings in the league........our own Keith and Seabrook if you will (not a stylistic comparison btw.

Keith-Seabrook, Chara-Seidenberg, Muzzin-Doughty, Dumoulin-Letang, ???-Carlson, Bouwmeister-Pietrangelo.

Having that “alpha” top pairing is something that can’t be ignored and really is something that the Canucks need for their future.  Having a guy like Woo in our system is great, but I don’t think many posters truly realize just how depleted our right side D is.  Not only do we need a heir apparent to Tanev (which Stecher, Schenn, And Woo likely won’t be), but we need a legit heir apparent to both Edler and Tanev in terms of having a legit top pairing in the NHL.  Hence - that’s where Hughes and [BoeserTrade] would come in.

So - lets look at the lines again:

Panarin-Pettersson-Eriksson

Pearson-Horvat-Goldobin

Baertschi-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Sutter

Edler-McAvoy

Hughes-Tanev

Hutton-Stecher.

Markstrom

Demko

While I completely agree that the above right side would look fairly weak, right wing is the EASIEST position in the league to fill holes.  

Nevermind the fact that the Canucks have a few decent prospect in their system on RW (Lockwood, Jasek, etc.,) that could conceivably take the next step, but there would be plenty of UFA’s and/or players that could be had via trade in a year’s time.  

If the Canucks are a team that is classified as rebuilding, then establishing building blocks is the key.......and developing your Center and Defensive positions takes precedence over your wingers.  

Edited by Hindustan Smyl
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, Baer. said:

Buffalo laughs at you and hangs up.

Tryamkin still has years left on his KHL deal.

Why the hell would Boston move McAvoy? They are stacked at forward and after Chara is gone they really don't have much on the back end. Bowser would be a second liner on the Bruins.

Fair enough about Boston.   I’m not overly familiar with their team strengths, weaknesses, and needs.

If not McAvoy however, then perhaps another young ‘stud’ right defenseman (ie  If Minnesota has an interest in Boeser, then maybe we can demand Dumba+).

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Please point to him making this statement.

He alluded to it a few months back that he’d consider both Toronto and Vancouver If he was thinking Canada.

Also - check out this link:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/artemi-panarin---likes-the-canucks-on-social-media/ar-AACl5ST

@Jimmy McGill

Edited by Hindustan Smyl
  • Cheers 1

Adding Panarin would be fine.  I’d rather that then another LE contract fail.   You know he’s going to be great for most of his contract length and it would send a message that we mean business.   

However I agree with the OP that top heavy teams can’t compete...and what he’d do to EPs next contract would definitely make us top heavy.  Wouldn’t be the the worst idea in the world though, we could have a top line that would rival the WCE years...and back the we didn’t have a Horvat for the second line.   If Hughes is a good as we think he is and OJ works out our defense won’t be all that bad either ... and we didn’t have great goaltending like we do now in the WCE years either.

5 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

You have Sutter as a first line RW and think we are balanced with no organizational weakness?

Think long term.

Improving right wing is the EASIEST position to improve in the NHL while Right Side Defense is the most difficult.

Furthermore, teams can win without right wing superstars as long as you are solid and deep in more important positions.  

In a situation where we’d hypothetically have both Pettersson and Panarin, all you’d really need is a solid guy that could go to the net, play defensively responsible, and perhaps go to the dirty areas on that top line.  A Burrows or a Morrison type of guy.

On your second line RW, you’d just need a solid player that could contribute regularly (ie a Mikael Samuelson type).  

Those guys don’t fall on trees, but are MUCH MUCH easier to get then a young top pairing dman.  It’s infinitely easier.

I think people are understating the fact as to just how HUGE it would be for this organization to have a legit superstar top defensive pairing in the NHL for potentially the next 10+ years (ie [Hughes-McAvoy], [Hughes-Dumba], etc.).

Edited by Hindustan Smyl

2 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Yes to Panarin, and obviously keep Boeser.  Not sure how this is a discussion as both are obvious keepers.

As I have said many times before:

Sign Pararin (Should be our #1 target)

Trade for Ristolainen (Using next years first + Hutton)

Trade for Puljujarvi (Using a second or third this year)

Draft one of Broberg/Zegras/Boldy

Bring back Tree ASAP

Welcome to the playoffs.....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

That 1st line would be a major pain in the butt to opposing teams .

It would become one of the most dangerous lines in the league, easily capable of scoring 120plus goals...would rival any line really.   Reminds me of when Healty-Spezza-Alfie were roasting the league...almost worked too until ANA dismantled them.

Could actually become the highest scoring line we’ve ever had...hard not to like the idea of that.. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It would become one of the most dangerous lines in the league, easily capable of scoring 120plus goals...would rival any line really.   Reminds me of when Healty-Spezza-Alfie were roasting the league...almost worked too until ANA dismantled them.

Could actually become the highest scoring line we’ve ever had...hard not to like the idea of that.. 

I’m also intrigued at the idea of having Panarin-Pettersson-Boeser as a top line, but that could just as easily make us a poor man’s Toronto or even an Edmonton.

Having that top alpha defensive pairing is just so crucial in my opinion.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

I’m also intrigued at the idea of having Panarin-Pettersson-Boeser as a top line, but that could just as easily make us a poor man’s Toronto or even an Edmonton.

Having that top alpha defensive pairing is just so crucial in my opinion.  

That's why I'm hoping for EK.

Panarin isn’t coming to Canada. Let alone the west coast. Rangers or Florida are the teams to beat

But if he was legitimately interested id offer a 7 year/70m deal and get’er done

Panarin-pettersson-boeser

instantly one of the best lines in the game

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That's why I'm hoping for EK.

My concern with EK is that his body is starting to break down.   I’m not so sure how effective he’ll be after a few years.  He’s already nearing 30.  Also - Given that Karlsson is a Norris Trophy winner, I think his asking price would be 11 million minimum.  I’m just not sure if he’s the type of guy that we should be looking at.

I’d rather have the next ‘alpha’ top pairing D for the next 10+ years!