The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jeff Skinner and Sabres closing in on deal

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1767368

The Buffalo Sabres and forward Jeff Skinner are closing in on an eight-year contract extension with an expected average annual value of $9 million, according to TSN's Bob McKenzie.

Skinner is set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. A $9-million AAV would make him the sixth-highest paid winger in the league.

Buffalo traded prospect Cliff Pu and three draft picks to acquire Skinner from the Carolina Hurricanes last summer. The 27-year-old went on to tally a career-high 40 goals in his first season with the Sabres.

Edited by DontFockWithBrock

1 minute ago, billabong said:

My god...skinner is a 9 MILLION dollar winger?! 

Sure hes scored a couple goals but he faded away when buffalo needed him down the stretch and he’s had a concussion history

Kucherov is getting 9.5m (state tax is a factor) and he’s a dominant 100+ point player 

couture is at 8m and he’s been clutch in the ploffs 

Kane is at 10.5m and he’s a first ballot hall of famer, scoring titles and all the hardware. That’s only worth 1.5m than skinner at 9m? 

Salary cap has also gone up since these HOFers you mentioned have signed these contracts 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't see how the back 1/2 of this deal is going to be anything but ugly. 

Me too. Guess I'm old school but that's a ridiculous contract for a one dimensional player that just careered it. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Me too. Guess I'm old school but that's a ridiculous contract for a one dimensional player that just careered it. 

yeah dunno.... seems like a big overpayment to me but I guess we'll see what the term is. Panarin's agent just threw another steak on the bbq I bet. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jaku said:

Pretty much market value for a player that just scored 40 goals. No surprise here.

Is he a 40 goal guy from this year or the 24 goal guy from the year before? Career assists per season very underwhelming for that kind of money. I'd be choked if JB just signed Skinner for that much, that long. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah dunno.... seems like a big overpayment to me but I guess we'll see what the term is. Panarin's agent just threw another steak on the bbq I bet. 

Well if Skinner gets 9 and JT gets 11 I gotta think 10 to 10.5 for Panarin. Wow. 

Skinner:  (2018 -2019) GP:  82;  Points: 40 + 23 = 63;  +/-  = 0

Boeser:   (2018-2019)  GP: 69;  Points: 26 + 30 = 56;  +/-  = -2

Granted Skinner has played several more seasons, however - the comparables here are likely to be critical in Boeser's RFA contract negotiations.  How close to $9MM/season AAV will Boeser's agent be looking for ?