The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jeff Skinner and Sabres closing in on deal

Keep in mind the Sabres are a terrible team (sorry @SabreFan1) and you have to overpay to keep players around. This is similar to us needing to overpay a bit to bring in the likes of Beagle and Roussel. If Buffalo didn't offer this, he was going to walk.

Certainly an overpayment and hopefully it doesn't affect all the future signings. I expected Panarin to get around 10 million anyway (I was hoping for a shade below 10, but this probably nixes that).

• Upvote 2

Just now, theo5789 said:

Keep in mind the Sabres are a terrible team (sorry @SabreFan1) and you have to overpay to keep players around. This is similar to us needing to overpay a bit to bring in the likes of Beagle and Roussel. If Buffalo didn't offer this, he was going to walk.

Certainly an overpayment and hopefully it doesn't affect all the future signings. I expected Panarin to get around 10 million anyway (I was hoping for a shade below 10, but this probably nixes that).

No worries.   I posted the same exact thing.  P*ss poor teams can't continue to bleed away talent.

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Overpayment for a player who is highly dependent on having a good centreman and who doesn't generate supplementary offence (low assist totals).

$9 million/season contracts should be reserved for players who make others around him better.

That said, it's tough to blame Botterill for acquiescing.  The Sabres can't keep bleeding away talent if they ever want to make the playoffs again any time soon.  They are a top heavy team that is going to have to build the bottom half of the roster with younger and cheaper players now.

Reinhart's bridge deal is up after this season so he's going to need to get paid as well.  Fortunately Sobotka and Sheary come off of the books after this season.  The only albatross contract after that will be Okposo's.

AND Skinner's

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I'd give Panarin 11. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Overpayment for a player who is highly dependent on having a good centreman and who doesn't generate supplementary offence (low assist totals).

$9 million/season contracts should be reserved for players who make others around him better.

That said, it's tough to blame Botterill for acquiescing.  The Sabres can't keep bleeding away talent if they ever want to make the playoffs again any time soon.  They are a top heavy team that is going to have to build the bottom half of the roster with younger and cheaper players now.

Reinhart's bridge deal is up after this season so he's going to need to get paid as well.  Fortunately Sobotka and Sheary come off of the books after this season.  The only albatross contract after that will be Okposo's.

Any chance we could trade Loui for Okposo?  I would bank on a turnaround for Okposo over Lucic?  

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't see how the back 1/2 of this deal is going to be anything but ugly. 

That is when Edmonton steps in and deals for him lol...

Edited by 6string
spell
  • Haha 2

Just now, DontFockWithBrock said:

As individual players, I like Okposo more than Loui. But...

Okposo has 4 years left @ 6 mil. Loui only has 3 years left.... still worth the risk? 

Definitely a risk but only one more year.  I think Okposo still has all the tools to be top 6 so we’d get some actual value out of him.  Sign Panarin and trade for Okposo and we’re looking good:

Panarin Pettersson Boeser

Baertschi Horvat Okposo

Pearson could also be in Baertschi’s spot which would give that line some more jam.

I know he got 40 goals last season, but his career best is 63 points. And considering he doesn't provide much else to his game, 9 million a season is very steep. I would say 2 million too much and that's even at a UFA value. Add in the term and a full NMC (did he take a discount for this clause?) for the entire contract and this deal is going to be one of the worst in the league.

I really hope the league understands that Buffalo is simply desperate to keep their talent, but we all know the agents are going to smell blood on this one. I hope the players are planning on what they'll do for the imminent lockout especially if RFAs are also getting these outrageous contracts as well.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Dibs on the thread 3 years from now for the Canucks trying to get an extra 1st round pick if we take on this  contract 

We won't have the cap space at that point to "weaponize". Hopefully because our young guys are outstanding and also maybe we have signed someone like Panarin who at 10 million should be worth his contract.

1 hour ago, rekker said:

I'd give Panarin 11. 

I would think that's slightly overpriced, but given the market if this is a new benchmark, then I'd take him at 11 as well. Hopefully now as a 7 year deal versus a sign and trade 8 year deal. If we can lock in Panarin at 10 million for 8 years, I'd surely give up the 2nd to make it happen.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

We won't have the cap space at that point to "weaponize". Hopefully because our young guys are outstanding and also maybe we have signed someone like Panarin who at 10 million should be worth his contract.

Sure we will - Toronto is going to need a 120 mil cap by then so we'll be good 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

AND Skinner's

Skinner will get traded after the Sabres roster fills out in a few years.  He'll be perfectly fine for the first 5 years of of that contract, so the Sabres will have to trade him in the first 4.

2 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Any chance we could trade Loui for Okposo?  I would bank on a turnaround for Okposo over Lucic?  

Okposo is a good leader in the locker room.  The Sabres need all of the leaders that they can get.  It just would be nice if he didn't cost 6 million per.

• Cheers 1