The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Lucic Trade

44 minutes ago, Alflives said:

For Lucic to accept a trade the team acquiring him would have to sign an addendum (written by Lucic's agent) to the effect that the his waiving is only a one time deal, and the NMC is goes with him.  

That is true. But if the Canucks have a few players unprotected they can do what a bunch of teams did with Vegas and give up a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Seattle to take or not take a certain player. 

If say Lind gadjovich and some of those college guys they signed at the end of this year or fringe guys are unprotected then as an example here’s a 3rd if u take teves or rafferty or sautner. If those guys aren’t in vans future

Edited by Bure1010

20 minutes ago, Bure1010 said:

That is true. But if the Canucks have a few players unprotected they can do what a bunch of teams did with Vegas and give up a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Seattle to take or not take a certain player. 

If say Lind gadjovich and some of those college guys they signed at the end of this year or fringe guys are unprotected then as an example here’s a 3rd if u take teves or rafferty or sautner. If those guys aren’t in vans future

Or just keep Loui, not trade for Milan, and then we don't need to worry so much about the Seattle draft?

Milan's contract is about the worst it can be.  His cap is his salary.  He has a NMC, so he can't even be sent to the minors.  And he's got one more year than Loui.

The Oilers, if we were going to take on Milan's contract, would have to add a lot for that to happen.  At least the 8 OA.  

37 minutes ago, luckylager said:

But it could be negotiated to remove/alter the clause when he comes to town?

Lucic could waive when the Seattle expansion comes.  I don't know if the addendum could include waiving for the coming Seattle expansion.  Then it's not really a NMC anymore.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Lucic could waive when the Seattle expansion comes.  I don't know if the addendum could include waiving for the coming Seattle expansion.  Then it's not really a NMC anymore.  

I dunno Alf, I'm pretty sure his clause becomes void once it's waived and JB would have to allow any clause to be rewritten, which IMO he wouldn't do. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I dunno Alf, I'm pretty sure his clause becomes void once it's waived and JB would have to allow any clause to be rewritten, which IMO he wouldn't do. 

And that's exactly what makes Lucic's contract so terrible. Milan needs to be protected in the Seattle draft, and must take a roster spot until that contract is finished.  Can't even send him to the minors.  Is taking that contract even worth it if getting 8 OA?

• Upvote 1

really want Bouchard from Edmonton.

Lucic + 8th for Eriksson and the 10th is a decent enough deal, but I’d still try and push for Bouchard.   It’s probably not a realistic wish on my part, but I’d kick the tires for sure. 

I do believe that Lucic has more to offer as a player, and that Vancouver could easily be the place where he rediscovers his passion.  Lucic hasn’t been the same since he lost his father a few years back.   What better way than to get Lucic going by being surrounded by family and friends?   

I also believe that there’s a part of Milan that wants to repair his relationship with the city of Vancouver, and that he’d do whatever he could do get back on track.

We all saw what Horvat’s skating coach did for Horvat a few years back.  Why couldn’t Horvat’s skating do the same for Lucic?

Maybe it’s just me, but I think Milan coming back to Vancouver has all the signs of him rediscovering his game and himself.   Being one of the toughest guys in the league, absolutely no one is going to mess with Hughes and Pettersson.  With respect to Roussel and Schenn, they aren’t in the same weight class as Lucic when it comes to fighting and striking fear in opponents.  Even I would be challenged by Lucic if him and I fought (albeit, slightly).

Eriksson on the other hand, seems done like dirt.  He’ll be the guy serving as Darnell Nurse’s jockstrap in the lockerroom.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And that's exactly what makes Lucic's contract so terrible. Milan needs to be protected in the Seattle draft, and must take a roster spot until that contract is finished.  Can't even send him to the minors.  Is taking that contract even worth it if getting 8 OA?

As his contract stands for Edmonton, yes. But as soon as Lucic waives his NMC to go to another team the clause is toast and no GM in their right mind would allow it to be renegotiated in upon arrival. Maybe a limited NTC which wouldn't protect him from expansion.

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

As his contract stands for Edmonton, yes. But as soon as Lucic waives his NMC to go to another team the clause is toast and no GM in their right mind would allow it to be renegotiated in upon arrival. Maybe a limited NTC which wouldn't protect him from expansion.

Then Milan won't accept the trade.  He needs to approve the deal, and the addendum would need to be signed before the trade is done.

I really see the Oilers stuck with Milan for the term of this contract. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Then Milan won't accept the trade.  He needs to approve the deal, and the addendum would need to be signed before the trade is done.

I really see the Oilers stuck with Milan for the term of this contract. 

Maybe Lucic wants out of Edmonton though.

48 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Then Milan won't accept the trade.

Do you have insider information we do not? There is little to no risk to him to lose his clause.  Seattle won't pick him up at his salary and Vancouver knows what we are getting with him already and what it would take to move him out, so chances are he sticks with us until the end of his contract.  

He may want to add a clause that he stays in the NHL (which is fair) but other than that I think he should have no trouble waiving if he wants to come here.

Really, I see the potential here for a slight resurgence of both players in such a move (moreso for Loui) and it could be good for both. I just want to see us get the sweetener for that extra year.

Edited by kloubek

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sure sounds like he does, and Loui (maybe?) wants out of here.  That contract of Milan's though, is really nasty.  

Agreed. But if a Loui for Lucic+ trade were to happen at the draft, the dollars make a bit more sense

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Plus Lucic wants to be closer to family, so in reality he's only going to waive to come here most likely. And LE will have a much more moveable contract after July 1st, therefore Edmonton could flip him out and rid themselves altogether of the anchor and we will be helping out a divisional rival. Edmonton would take some value off if they are willing to make the deal before July 1st to eat the payout, but even then I would expect more in return.

Edmonton gains way to much between LE and Lucic, so it'll take quite a bit to even it up for me.

I don't get why Benning seems to keep circling back to this guy.  At this point in his career he is a $6M goon.

I would only consider moving for him if we were getting the 8th OA as a sweetener.  Even then there are so many reasons not to bring him in.

I think he may be able to still play in this league at 210 lbs but not at 240.  He is just too slow and really doesn't seem like a good fit for Green's system.  Lucic should have stayed with the Kings, they are really about the only team who were still playing a style that suits him.

The fact that Benning's name keeps resurfacing in Lucic rumours concerns me greatly.  

We keep working from the idea that he learns from his mistakes, trading LE for Lucic is compounding his mistake, not learning from it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

You know, that was the assumption I was working from but read that that is no longer the case.  Not 100% sure and can't remember where read that.

I think a lot of people are overlooking the fact that Milan Lucic would be the “Kevin Costner” to Elias Pettersson’s “Whitney Houston.”

We need Whitney to feel comfortable out there and bah gawd, no one can make one comfortable more than Mr. Costner.  :p.

Sorry guys, beers talking here.  4:19 am over here in Beijing.  I’m off to bed!   Night folks.

Edited by Hindustan Smyl
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

really want Bouchard from Edmonton.

Lucic + 8th for Eriksson and the 10th is a decent enough deal, but I’d still try and push for Bouchard.   It’s probably not a realistic wish on my part, but I’d kick the tires for sure. 

I do believe that Lucic has more to offer as a player, and that Vancouver could easily be the place where he rediscovers his passion.  Lucic hasn’t been the same since he lost his father a few years back.   What better way than to get Lucic going by being surrounded by family and friends?   

I also believe that there’s a part of Milan that wants to repair his relationship with the city of Vancouver, and that he’d do whatever he could do get back on track.

We all saw what Horvat’s skating coach did for Horvat a few years back.  Why couldn’t Horvat’s skating do the same for Lucic?

Maybe it’s just me, but I think Milan coming back to Vancouver has all the signs of him rediscovering his game and himself.   Being one of the toughest guys in the league, absolutely no one is going to mess with Hughes and Pettersson.  With respect to Roussel and Schenn, they aren’t in the same weight class as Lucic when it comes to fighting and striking fear in opponents.  Even I would be challenged by Lucic if him and I fought (albeit, slightly).

Eriksson on the other hand, seems done like dirt.  He’ll be the guy serving as Darnell Nurse’s jockstrap in the lockerroom.

Lucic + 8th for Loui + 10th is NOT decent. It's terrible for the nucks. There is almost no difference in picking 8th or 10th this draft. 

45 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I don't get why Benning seems to keep circling back to this guy.  At this point in his career he is a $6M goon.

I would only consider moving for him if we were getting the 8th OA as a sweetener.  Even then there are so many reasons not to bring him in.

I think he may be able to still play in this league at 210 lbs but not at 240.  He is just too slow and really doesn't seem like a good fit for Green's system.  Lucic should have stayed with the Kings, they are really about the only team who were still playing a style that suits him.

The fact that Benning's name keeps resurfacing in Lucic rumours concerns me greatly.  

We keep working from the idea that he learns from his mistakes, trading LE for Lucic is compounding his mistake, not learning from it.

Lucic has expressed interest in coming here and likely is the only destination he's willing to move to. Benning is looking into what sweetener will be given to make the deal and has said it'll take a sweetener to make the deal happen. We will see if/when a deal happens before being critical (or positive) about it. All last year, people were clamouring for more policing and now he may nab one at the expense of another player not needed here and may be able to add picks/prospects on top (which is another thing people have been clamouring that Benning needs to do) and yet Benning is still dragged through the mud trying to accomplish the very goals people were complaining that Benning isn't doing.