The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Single use plastic ban coming in 2021

inane

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

Wow so many lefties oblivious to debt. Conveniently all the European countries faced with massive debt and massive cuts were run by far left governments.

Lefties like debt, because they are the ones collecting the hand outs that make the debt.  This plastics idea is just another vote grab.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sorry for the further derailing from the plastic issue but I can't help it. @Ryan Strome you can't even call Trudeau a tax and spend liberal anymore :lol:

Is Trudeau a 'tax-and-spend' Liberal? The numbers say no

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-taxes-harper-budget-1.5164976

Reality says yes. Just not as bad as the ndp.

95% of all plastics in the oceans comes from just 10 Rivers:

• Yangtze River, Yellow Sea, Asia
  • Indus River, Arabian Sea, Asia
  • Yellow River (Huang He), Yellow Sea, Asia
  • Hai River, Yellow Sea, Asia
  • Nile, Mediterranean Sea, Africa
  • Meghna/Bramaputra/Ganges, Bay of Bengal, Asia
  • Pearl River (Zhujiang), South China Sea, Asia
  • Amur River (Heilong Jiang), Sea of Okhotsk, Asia
  • Niger River, Gulf of Guinea, Africa
  • Mekong River, South China Sea, Asia

I am all for banning plastics but the reality is that it won't do much good unless we get these other countries educated and on board

Indonesia:

Spoiler

Guatemala:

Spoiler

India:

Spoiler

Amazon: 

Spoiler

Haiti:

Spoiler

Philippines:

Spoiler

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Lefties like debt, because they are the ones collecting the hand outs that make the debt.  This plastics idea is just another vote grab.  

Some people think money is everything and others think that there is more to life then that. That is the main reason for most of the worlds problems today. The problems are almost always linked to someone's GREED for money. 

Me? I prefer things like clean, breathable air, clean drinkable water, family, health, you know, stuff like that. ::D

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Aladeen said:

95% of all plastics in the oceans comes from just 10 Rivers:

• Yangtze River, Yellow Sea, Asia
  • Indus River, Arabian Sea, Asia
  • Yellow River (Huang He), Yellow Sea, Asia
  • Hai River, Yellow Sea, Asia
  • Nile, Mediterranean Sea, Africa
  • Meghna/Bramaputra/Ganges, Bay of Bengal, Asia
  • Pearl River (Zhujiang), South China Sea, Asia
  • Amur River (Heilong Jiang), Sea of Okhotsk, Asia
  • Niger River, Gulf of Guinea, Africa
  • Mekong River, South China Sea, Asia

I am all for banning plastics but the reality is that it won't do much good unless we get these other countries educated and on board

Indonesia:

Hide contents

Guatemala:

Hide contents

India:

Reveal hidden contents

Amazon: 

Reveal hidden contents

Haiti:

Reveal hidden contents

Philippines:

Reveal hidden contents

I agree but the other thing we can do is reduce the demand for the product. No one to sell to, no reason to produce it. It has to start somewhere, for all of our kids sake and the sake of all we cherish on this earth.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

This a vote grab, a smart one at that.

Very hot global issue right now and for good reason.

If this thread is any indication, I will continue to believe we are among the last few generations of advanced humans on this planet. 

It will be nice, the few that survive will recess back to the caves while mother nature gives herself a good shake off from the foul humans that once gave her cancer. 

I'm starting to listen to Alf, we should try to stay on top for as long as we can before the inevitable end... Smok'em if ya got'em. 

• Cheers 1

About time.  Should ban those damned clamshell plastic containers everything comes in and non biodegradable food packaging.  

Styrofoam needs to be a thing of the past as well.

We know better and have for decades. 

Stop always doing what is convenient for business in an era where the people in the c-suites are paying out record setting bonuses and salaries.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I agree but the other thing we can do is reduce the demand for the product. No one to sell to, no reason to produce it. It has to start somewhere, for all of our kids sake and the sake of all we cherish on this earth.

No doubt every little bit helps but we are at a point where we are going to have to go straight to the root cause and there needs to be huge punishments for the offenders, like those guys dumping the plastics into the Amazon saying that they do 3 or 4 dump trucks full per day. 

Time is no longer on our side when it comes to this. The governments of the world need to get together and hold the major polluters accountable with over the top punishments. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Ya the cardboard straws are not a good alternative, I would almost rather say goodbye to the sea turtles than have to drink my root beer through a soggy piece of paper for the rest of my life.  

I really hate this comment on so many levels.  Joking or not, this sense of entitlement without any regard for other living creatures really isn't amusing.  Did you learn to drink from a cup?  There are even convenient sippy cups if you're struggling.  I sense sarcasm...I truly hope so.

2 hours ago, RonMexico said:

Part of the solution shouldn't just be banning these products, Canada fails at recycling them too. Recycling in Canada is a joke.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5199883/canada-recycling-programs/

All of it needs attention.  

I was shocked to learn that we bundle and ship our crap out and that most is coming back to us.  I really thought it was broken down and reused as other products.  This world disappoints me.

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

This a vote grab, a smart one at that.

Very hot global issue right now and for good reason.

If this thread is any indication, I will continue to believe we are among the last few generations of advanced humans on this planet. 

It will be nice, the few that survive will recess back to the caves while mother nature gives herself a good shake off from the foul humans that once gave her cancer. 

I'm starting to listen to Alf, we should try to stay on top for as long as we can before the inevitable end... Smok'em if ya got'em. 

Depends on what you mean by "smart".  It could easily work politically, satisfying his base.  And it can be smart in practice, depending on its actual implementation.  If Scheer's comment is accurate, the plan is not clear yet, so for now it sounds like political news only.

Plastic bans in the US and in some other countries have struggled to meet respectable achievements, as other plastic consumption has increased as a result (people who were using "single use" grocery bags for light trash collection move to heavier "legal" trash bags, and "single-use" paper consumption rises.

If it makes sense, great, because we do have a consumption problem that needs addressing.  I just hope you (Canada) can learn from others' mistakes and implement it more successfully.

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Last-straw-marine-life-640x400.png

I think the "head in the sand" concept is the best way to deal with world pollution.  Do the best you can on an individual level, and think (in your heart) that what you are doing makes a difference.  Reality is what we do here in Canada, will not make any impact at all around the world.  So, put your head in the sand, and enjoy the bliss of ignorance.  

(not you specifically King.  You is just anyone)

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think the "head in the sand" concept is the best way to deal with world pollution.  Do the best you can on an individual level, and think (in your heart) that what you are doing makes a difference.  Reality is what we do here in Canada, will not make any impact at all around the world.  So, put your head in the sand, and enjoy the bliss of ignorance.  

Completely agree and dont see why this is not part of the SJW thread. I mean who the f&*k cares really... let future generations pay for it, with money or their lives, either way, who cares!

/s

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

This whole 'what we do won't immediately solve the problem so why bother doing it' line of thinking is so lazy and has been proven incorrect repeatedly over history. How do you think the women's right to vote came to be? gay rights? banning DDT, ending slavery, mandatory seatbelts, etc etc etc. Any and all of those started with small groups of people advocating for something and growing it into something larger. You guys are so weird how you just expect huge change to just drop out of the sky and if it doesn't you're all 'meh China isn't doing it right now so why should we'. lol grow up.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

All our actions or inactions do make a difference Alf.   But you are right......  the biggest differences will be made in other more populated countries....

Still we need to model of change.  If we can start to invent new ways to live here... maybe our ideas can be adapted in other countries...

Be the change you want to see Alf....

Mahatma-Gandhi-quotes-be-the-change.jpg

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, inane said:

This whole 'what we do won't immediately solve the problem so why bother doing it' line of thinking is so lazy and has been proven incorrect repeatedly over history. How do you think the women's right to vote came to be? gay rights? banning DDT, ending slavery, mandatory seatbelts, etc etc etc. Any and all of those started with small groups of people advocating for something and growing it into something larger. You guys are so weird how you just expect huge change to just drop out of the sky and if it doesn't you're all 'meh China isn't doing it right now so why should we'. lol grow up.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."

Again thank you for the insult.  

Mother Teresa once begging for money for her children stricken with leprosy came to a very wealthy man.  She asked for money and he spit in her hand.  Mother Teresa said "thank, that's for me.  Now may I have money for the children?"

We cannot change the world.  Accept the truth.  Do what makes you feel like you're doing something positive.  But you're burying your head in the sand if you think it's making a difference.  

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Again thank you for the insult.  

Mother Teresa once begging for money for her children stricken with leprosy came to a very wealthy man.  She asked for money and he spit in her hand.  Mother Teresa said "thank, that's for me.  Now may I have money for the children?"

We cannot change the world.  Accept the truth.  Do what makes you feel like you're doing something positive.  But you're burying your head in the sand if you think it's making a difference.  

This, just a few posts after saying Lefties "are collecting hand outs".....:rolleyes: