The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

KHL Team Converts to NHL size rink

Rate this topic

Lots of things changing in the KHL.. first a 900m rubles salary cap (13.8m usd).
In the meantime, the size of the box on the Barys Arena is changing from “European” to “Canadian”.
That is, from 60x30 to 60x26

Edited by SilentSam

Game is way faster and more exciting on the smaller ice.  Big ice leaves too much room for perimeter play.  Yes, the team will have more good seats to sell, but the entertainment will be better too.  I think the Finnish team in the KHL plays on a hybrid rink size, don't they?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HerrDrFunk said:

How the hell does that work for one team to have a smaller rink than the others? 

It was the case in three NHL for many arenas for many years, but they forced standard sizes many years back. 

• Cheers 1

How the hell does that work for one team to have a smaller rink than the others? 

There are 7 different sizes of rink in the SM-Liiga

28m  x 58m  2 arenas
28   x 60   3 arenas
,5 x 60   1 arena
29   x 59   1 arena
29   x 60   2 arenas
30   x 58   2 arenas
30   x 60   2 arenas
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

IIRC, the old Boston Garden was like that.  

23 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

It was the case in three NHL for many arenas for many years, but they forced standard sizes many years back. 

Just now, canuckledraggin said:

There are 7 different sizes of rink in the SM-Liiga

28m  x 58m  2 arenas
28   x 60   3 arenas
,5 x 60   1 arena
29   x 59   1 arena
29   x 60   2 arenas
30   x 58   2 arenas
30   x 60   2 arenas

That's just weird to me that a pro sports league doesn't have a standardized size for the play area. It'd be like if the 49ers just decided to start playing on a CFL sized field one day. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Game is way faster and more exciting on the smaller ice.  Big ice leaves too much room for perimeter play.  Yes, the team will have more good seats to sell, but the entertainment will be better too.  I think the Finnish team in the KHL plays on a hybrid rink size, don't they?

It's pretty obvious Alfer..it's time the NHL adopted a new shape..the 'hourglass' ice rink(svelte & sexy)..narrows(to about 50') in the neutral zone to create rush hr traffic. Flares into wider corners to dramatically fling dump-ins into the slot. I've already e-mailed Grungy Battman!

Idea # 2 is a strict rectangle to encourage battles in the 4 corners of the hockey universe. I'm still trying to smooth out the details(need a reverse gear on the zamboni)..stay tuned

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

That's just weird to me that a pro sports league doesn't have a standardized size for the play area. It'd be like if the 49ers just decided to start playing on a CFL sized field one day. 

Agreed, and I think the NHL also agreed, hence the standardization. Crazy that the SM-Liiga still has that variety though. 

29 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Other way around. It would be like the BC Lions play on an NFL sized field. 

29 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

So with such a low salary cap, I guess the idea of Russian players fleeing to the KHL for more money is kapoot?

Remember it's tax free. So even paid at $1 million US is exactly that. Even at $750,000 that's more than you'd make in the AHL. 

5 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Which could draw away the Yakupovs but a 13.8 USD salary cap would never draw away the Kovalchuks anymore

Not this year, but consider that the NHL's cap when they came back from the lockout was 36 million... it can go up in a hurry if the league is stable and generating revenue.

A stable league can and probably will grow faster than a wild-west one where 2-5 teams can do 50% of the spending.

• Upvote 1

How about MLB?

Aren't many of the outfield walls different distances from home plate and different heights?

• Upvote 1

Baseball? 

Damn it @goalie13 ninja'd me.

Edited by King Heffy