The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

KHL Team Converts to NHL size rink

Rate this topic

17 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

That'd require me actually caring about baseball to know that. 

That reply inspred me to look it up.  I'm not a baseball guy either.

Apparently MLB only regulates that the outfield wall must be a minimum distance and height, but there are no maximums.

At center field the Astro's field is the deepest at 435 feet.  Fenway is the shortest at 390 feet.  The fences are as low as 4 feet and the tallest is the Green Monster at 37 feet.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

How the hell does that work for one team to have a smaller rink than the others? 

It worked fine in the NHL for years.   It is only relatively recently that there has been a "standard" NHL rink.   Back in the "day", there was quite a bit of variation.   The NHL standard today is 85 feet wide by 200 feet long but up until it was replaced, the Old Boston Garden up to 1995 was 83 X 191.   Chicago, before its change, was  185 X 85 feet.   Buffalo came into the league with the Aud which was 196 X 85 feet.    Other examples exist if you dig.    All smaller than international of course but fun hockey trivia.

16 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

It worked fine in the NHL for years.   It is only relatively recently that there has been a "standard" NHL rink.   Back in the "day", there was quite a bit of variation.   The NHL standard today is 85 feet wide by 200 feet long but up until it was replaced, the Old Boston Garden up to 1995 was 83 X 191.   Chicago, before its change, was  185 X 85 feet.   Buffalo came into the league with the Aud which was 196 X 85 feet.    Other examples exist if you dig.    All smaller than international of course but fun hockey trivia.

Go figure! I always just assumed a league would set the rink standard and everyone would adhere to it. 

2 hours ago, goalie13 said:

That reply inspred me to look it up.  I'm not a baseball guy either.

Apparently MLB only regulates that the outfield wall must be a minimum distance and height, but there are no maximums.

At center field the Astro's field is the deepest at 435 feet.  Fenway is the shortest at 390 feet.  The fences are as low as 4 feet and the tallest is the Green Monster at 37 feet.

That's interesting because, from my non-fan perspective, it seems like that variation could really have an effect on scoring. I'm sure a baseball fan could go into detail about the pros and cons of this but to me, it'd be like if the nets in TD Gardens were 6 inches bigger than everywhere else. 

2 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Go figure! I always just assumed a league would set the rink standard and everyone would adhere to it. 

That's interesting because, from my non-fan perspective, it seems like that variation could really have an effect on scoring. I'm sure a baseball fan could go into detail about the pros and cons of this but to me, it'd be like if the nets in TD Gardens were 6 inches bigger than everywhere else. 

One joke I always used to hear as going into Maple Leaf Garden was like playing on an European ice surface as the home team played so small there was so much ice out there!

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Agreed.  Especially in a stats fanatical sport like baseball.

On 6/10/2019 at 12:58 PM, HerrDrFunk said:

That's just weird to me that a pro sports league doesn't have a standardized size for the play area. It'd be like if the 49ers just decided to start playing on a CFL sized field one day. 

That's one thing I like about baseball.  I believe Polo Grounds had a gigantic outfield way back in the day but all the stadiums had different dimensions.  

Image result for polo grounds

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2019 at 11:11 AM, SilentSam said:
Lots of things changing in the KHL.. first a 900m rubles salary cap (13.8m usd).
In the meantime, the size of the box on the Barys Arena is changing from “European” to “Canadian”.
That is, from 60x30 to 60x26

2 more teams converting to the NHL Size rink this season.

Hearing rumour that Tryamkins team, Avtomobilist, is discussing changing to the NHL size rink this offseason.

I beleive this is following 3 other KHL Teams which are in the process of changing at this moment.. one those clubs is the home team of Vasily Podolzkin.. our latest 1st round pick.

Hopefully the other clubs realize not only the chance at increasing revenue, but they are helping to change the game to become as exciting as we see it here in North America.  Hats off to the KHL for being open minded, and allowing an evolution in their game to take place.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2019 at 6:00 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Rob,  This recent article I found through a twitter feed..  I think this will make for a better all round game in the KHL.. always seemed to look like pond hockey on so much ice.

More Teams making the  arena adjustments, and potential for more.

https://conwaysrussianhockey.wordpress.com/2019/07/09/khl-arenas-in-2019-20-a-field-guide/

23 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Rob,  This recent article I found through a twitter feed..  I think this will make for a better all round game in the KHL.. always seemed to look like pond hockey on so much ice.

More Teams making the  arena adjustments, and potential for more.

https://conwaysrussianhockey.wordpress.com/2019/07/09/khl-arenas-in-2019-20-a-field-guide/

That move would go a LONG way for me to feel that the KHL could  not be a death sentence for defensive careers.

11 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

That move would go a LONG way for me to feel that the KHL could  not be a death sentence for defensive careers.

Agree,.    

One would think that now another professional league in the world is trying to standardize a major part of its Sport,. That the IIHF, and Olympic heads would promote this move as well.

Proper competition in athletes should have its standard for sports..  arenas, or playing fields..  athletes need this.. Franchises need it fo proper assessment and evaluations.

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Happening with more clubs than was previously proposed.. its catching on fast..

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2019 at 12:58 PM, HerrDrFunk said:

That's just weird to me that a pro sports league doesn't have a standardized size for the play area. It'd be like if the 49ers just decided to start playing on a CFL sized field one day. 

Not all baseball fields are the same size.  All infields are, but not the ball park.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2019 at 2:21 PM, SilentSam said:

Agree,.    

One would think that now another professional league in the world is trying to standardize a major part of its Sport,. That the IIHF, and Olympic heads would promote this move as well.

Proper competition in athletes should have its standard for sports..  arenas, or playing fields..  athletes need this.. Franchises need it fo proper assessment and evaluations.

This is an article from Jan 5 2019 https://thehockeywriters.com/international-hockey-iihf-nhl-sized-ice-fasel/

Fasel said the world governing body for hockey is considering moving all international competitions to smaller, NHL-sized ice surfaces. He believes the smaller ice can contribute to the fan’s excitement and emotions.

“More and more now when we are watching the games, especially the juniors here in Canada, maybe one of the reasons the tournament here is on a very high level, maybe, is the size of the small ice,” said Fasel on Saturday ahead of the medal games at the world junior hockey championship in Vancouver.

• Thanks 1