The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VGK - VAN

Vegas needs to shed cap and Alex Tuch is after Stone acquisition behind him and Marchessault in RW depth chart. Colin Miller had down year and was even healthy scratch during the season. He would still arguably be our best right shot d-man considering Tanev is almost always injured.

So the proposal is:

Van trades Jake Virtanen + Troy Stecher + 10 overall pick 

To Vegas for

Alex Tuch + Colin Miller

Vancouver gets better players but pays the price of 10th overall pick. Vegas still has strong team and Virtanen suits better for that role of 3rd liner than Tuch who is clearly top 6 calibre player. Stecher and Virtanen could thrive well in lesser roles in contending team. So Vegas cuts their payroll with just as young players without loosing TOO much quality. We get the player we hoped Virtanen would be by now and upgrade top 6 defenceman for bigger top 4 defenceman of similar age.

So in nutshell Vegas stays contender with big amount of cap released and stay just as young.

Van gets big upgrade for 2nd line RW and top 4 RD and pays 10 overall for it.

Tuch is obviously in really friendly contract and is the best player in this trade and we cant know does Vegas consider him as untouchable but I think this would make sense for both teams. Our top 6 would be almost set for next decade and Miller would be solid addition to our poor d-group. We loose our high pick but leap couple years in our rebuild.

Lets say we could convince Panarin and Myers to come here:

Panarin Petterson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Tuch

Roussel Sutter Eriksson

Schaller Beagle Motte

Edler Myers

Hughes Miller

Hutton Tanev

Markström

Demko

We could start taking baby steps for the Stanley Cup.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Value is relatively close, but I think we end up overpaying. Stetcher is a pretty valuable piece considering his age and contract and it's similar with Virtanen. Also, this trade would send out two hometown players who want to be here. It shouldn't make a difference if someone's going to overpay, but it is something to consider.

Tuch's value is pretty high as you said, but Miller's value is tough to read. A defenseman getting scratched a couple of times and playing 16-18 minutes a night doesn't sound like a reliable top 4 guy, but there is still potential there. He has a little bit of a pedigree though and is obviously right handed, which will bump up the value. 

Interesting idea though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DallasDrake said:

Vegas needs to shed cap and Alex Tuch is after Stone acquisition behind him and Marchessault in RW depth chart. Colin Miller had down year and was even healthy scratch during the season. He would still arguably be our best right shot d-man considering Tanev is almost always injured.

So the proposal is:

To Vegas for

Alex Tuch + Colin Miller

Vancouver gets better players but pays the price of 10th overall pick. Vegas still has strong team and Virtanen suits better for that role of 3rd liner than Tuch who is clearly top 6 calibre player. Stecher and Virtanen could thrive well in lesser roles in contending team. So Vegas cuts their payroll with just as young players without loosing TOO much quality. We get the player we hoped Virtanen would be by now and upgrade top 6 defenceman for bigger top 4 defenceman of similar age.

So in nutshell Vegas stays contender with big amount of cap released and stay just as young.

Tuch is obviously in really friendly contract and is the best player in this trade and we cant know does Vegas consider him as untouchable but I think this would make sense for both teams. Our top 6 would be almost set for next decade and Miller would be solid addition to our poor d-group. We loose our high pick but leap couple years in our rebuild.

Panarin Petterson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Tuch

Roussel Sutter Eriksson

Schaller Beagle Motte

Edler Myers

Hughes Miller

Hutton Tanev

Markström

Demko

One of the more well thought out proposals I’ve seen for a while.  You obviously look hard at the Vegas viewpoint and it seems pretty even to me because it both hurts and I can see the upside of doing this.  We won’t get a top four D from this draft for at least three maybe as many as five years...by then it’s close to or already too late.  

I’m still not sure I’d do it because of how the drafts have gone for us the past two years .... one more like them at we’d be in really good shape in short order.   Your proposal takes all the risk of a lottery ticket not making it out of the equation...however there are some great players available where we pick we just don’t won’t know for sure about them for a couple years.  

If Benning isn’t that confident with whose around where we pick then I’d go ahead with this proposal....if he’s pretty confident he can find a better player then either Tuch or Miller then keep the pick...it’s a coin toss IMO..

I like this deal and Tuch is a guy we should definitely target. He would fit well with horvat and pearson

I highly doubt the Knights give up miller. They are short on right handed and the other guy is 37

I would try for Tuch with one of Virtanen of Granlund as a player piece and the necessary pick, likely 2 seconds or a first

A great and original proposal. Love it!

I don’t necessarily agree with the Panarin and Myers acquisitions (because I don’t think we could afford them with the rest of the roster you mention) but the trade for Tuch and Miller is very well thought out and I believe would be an excellent move to improve this club.

Well done!

13 hours ago, DallasDrake said:

So the proposal is:

To Vegas for

Alex Tuch + Colin Miller

Panarin Petterson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Tuch

Roussel Sutter Eriksson

Schaller Beagle Motte

Edler Myers

Hughes Miller

Hutton Tanev

Markström

Demko

I like these targets. These are the kind of players we should be going after. Not sure if I would be willing to give up the 10th overall though.

3 hours ago, Wanless said:

I like this deal and Tuch is a guy we should definitely target. He would fit well with horvat and pearson

I highly doubt the Knights give up miller. They are short on right handed and the other guy is 37

I would try for Tuch with one of Virtanen of Granlund as a player piece and the necessary pick, likely 2 seconds or a first

I have heard a rumor that Miller has fallen out of favor with Gallant and he might be available. He would fit the Canucks needs well and is on a reasonable contract.

6 hours ago, babalu said:

I like these targets. These are the kind of players we should be going after. Not sure if I would be willing to give up the 10th overall though.

I have heard a rumor that Miller has fallen out of favor with Gallant and he might be available. He would fit the Canucks needs well and is on a reasonable contract.

If that's the case that could work

I also don't like giving up this year's first but next year's first round is supposed to be very deep

2 hours ago, Wanless said:

If that's the case that could work

I also don't like giving up this year's first but next year's first round is supposed to be very deep

Yeah me neither but I think Vegas values Tuch highly. (Just as they should)

This kind of deal would make more sense for me than those rumours of Zucker JT Miller etc who wont fit so well in our group agewise.

Edit: also for that Stecher Miller swap it would make sense for us to acquire bigger guy for Troy because he is small and in my view NHL team can withstand only one small d-man in their top6 and that guy is obviously Hughes. And even if they play on same team they just cant be paired together due their small size so we dont have too much versatility in our pairings. 

Edited by DallasDrake

2 hours ago, DallasDrake said:

Yeah me neither but I think Vegas values Tuch highly. (Just as they should)

This kind of deal would make more sense for me than those rumours of Zucker JT Miller etc who wont fit so well in our group agewise.

Edit: also for that Stecher Miller swap it would make sense for us to acquire bigger guy for Troy because he is small and in my view NHL team can withstand only one small d-man in their top6 and that guy is obviously Hughes. And even if they play on same team they just cant be paired together due their small size so we dont have too much versatility in our pairings. 

Exactly on the d size, especially with Biega as a 7th dman

And if it took a first for Tuch he has his whole career ahead of him. I'm actually more worried about giving up Jake as this year could see him hovering around 50 points

Possibly Stetcher 10 Lind or Granlund and 2020 second. This however gives us a situation where we have to give away assets to move an Eriksson or Sutter for roster spots and likely not be able to keep motte (who I believe we should keep before leivo, granlund ect)

12 hours ago, HKSR said:

Tuch won't be going anywhere.  He's on an ELC, and Vegas is slammed against the cap right now.  They're more likely to move a contract and their 1st round pick this year than moving Tuch.

His ELC ended this season. Starting next season he is onto his new 7 year $4.75m AAV contract.

Based on this new contract you would initially think that VGK wouldn’t want to trade him - because they clearly value him.

However, remember that they signed him to this extension BEFORE they traded for and resigned Stone. They may indeed look to move Tuch or Marchessault.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

His ELC ended this season. Starting next season he is onto his new 7 year $4.75m AAV contract.

Based on this new contract you would initially think that VGK wouldn’t want to trade him - because they clearly value him.

However, remember that they signed him to this extension BEFORE they traded for and resigned Stone. They may indeed look to move Tuch or Marchessault.

Tuch is 23, scored 20 goals and 52pts in 74gms.  He's 6'4" and 220lbs.  All for 4.75m for years to come.  VGK would be insane to move a player like that.  Those are the bang for the buck deals you win cups with.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Even still Tuch is on a very, very reasonable contract for seven years .. heck Sutter is making almost as much as that for a comparable in our lineup.  With Patches and Stone taking up a lot of payroll and WK and Marchessault looming I bet they keep Tuch and his great cap hit and move on from WK...he’s a bit of an enigma like the former Rocket Richard winner (thanks to Joe Thornton) who ended up in OTT and couldn’t score 20 goals after...which player is he?   

Tuch would make any teams cap situation better, especially as time goes on.

Interesting proposal, but I'm not sure I would want to part ways with Stetcher, arguably our top defenceman.  Another idea is to flip our 10th overall pick for Vegas's 17th pick + Colin Miller  (if we need more, one of Vegas's 3 third rounders could be added).  Benning did say there are players later in the first round he likes.  We will be getting a top 4 right handed D the club needs and Vegas will be getting a higher pick and cap relief.  Okay, you may pick apart this deal.  lol

Edited by WestCoastDave

3 minutes ago, WestCoastDave said:

Interesting proposal, but I'm not sure I would want to part ways with Stetcher, arguably our top defenceman.  Another idea is to flip our 10th overall pick for Vegas's 17th pick + Colin Miller  (if we need more, one of Vegas's 3 third rounders could be added).  Benning did say there are players later in the first round he likes.  We will be getting a top 4 right handed D the club needs and Vegas will be getting a higher pick and cap relief.  Okay, you may pick apart this deal.  lol

That leaves the Knights with only 1 right hand d.

Also if that's the trade I'd rather keep 10 pick a forward and go for myers

6 hours ago, Wanless said:

That leaves the Knights with only 1 right hand d.

Also if that's the trade I'd rather keep 10 pick a forward and go for myers

Well...the Knights don't use Miller as much.  Even though he is a right side D, he has been a healthy scratch multiple times during the season so he could be expendable.  As for Myers, you are looking at something like 6 x 7 yrs. with other teams competing for his services.  I'm not sure I would want to go that long on his term.

I agree for the most part, but if there are situations that is advantageous why not?  Anyways, trading down from 10 to 17 (and getting extras in Miller and a 3rd) might not be as bad as you think because the area where the Nucks pick have more uncertainty with no draft list being the same.  The 17th pick could be just as good as the 10th pick.

On 6/12/2019 at 10:08 AM, HKSR said:

Tuch won't be going anywhere.  He's on an ELC, and Vegas is slammed against the cap right now.  They're more likely to move a contract and their 1st round pick this year than moving Tuch.

Given vegas has cap issues they seem like they may have to move one of their good forwards. Who do you see them moving to get back under the cap?