Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van/Avs


Recommended Posts

They actually have Soderberg, Jost and Brassard/Kamenev as their Centers after Mackinnon.  what they don't have though, as was pointed out is that playmaking centre which Jost appears to be.

 

Sutter with his remaining term helps them solidify the thing that cost them down the stretch, a defensively responsible bottom 6 center/winger.  Brassard and to a lesser extent Compher got beat up a bit in the grind.  While I agree this is a winning deal for the Canucks it also gives the Ads someone short term who helps their club grow in to their skates and shelters some of the younger kids.  

 

For reference on cap hit, age and centre depth for the Avs.

 

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/avalanche

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

They actually have Soderberg, Jost and Brassard/Kamenev as their Centers after Mackinnon.  what they don't have though, as was pointed out is that playmaking centre which Jost appears to be.

 

Sutter with his remaining term helps them solidify the thing that cost them down the stretch, a defensively responsible bottom 6 center/winger.  Brassard and to a lesser extent Compher got beat up a bit in the grind.  While I agree this is a winning deal for the Canucks it also gives the Ads someone short term who helps their club grow in to their skates and shelters some of the younger kids.  

 

For reference on cap hit, age and centre depth for the Avs.

 

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/avalanche

 

What cost them in the Playoffs was nobody scoring when MacKinnon got smothered. Sutter is not what they need at all. 

 

They also have the 4th overall pick this year where they could likely address that issue by taking a center.

Edited by Horvat is a Boss
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] Van/Avs

Given Sutter's cap hit of over 4mil and given how easy it generally is to get a 3rd line center in this league, I just don't see Avs doing this trade.

 

It's kind of funny really because in another thread, they're saying how Marleau's cap dump should mean Toronto gives up a pick. While Marleau's obviously not Sutter (and older), it's kind of similar with the cap dump scenario if you think about it and this really shows the bias that's on CDC at times. 

 

(Also, I'm not saying you were one of those people Warhippy. I'm just saying that as a general statement. If it were Marleau we were trading away, no one here would say we'd have to give up a pick)

Edited by The Lock
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s more like we trade Sutter and a fifth round pick for their 2nd...if we are lucky...they might counter they will take both off our hands for future considerations,  treating it as a cap dump for us.    

 

There are a lot of cheaper options that will play around the same amount of games and do the same things Sutter has managed the last couple years, maybe two years ago if we found the right team at the TDL would Sutter get us a first, unfortunately that boat has sailed and for better or worse at least for now he won’t be going anywhere...remember he’s a “foundational” player and yes he does still have value...mostly to us when he plays.   Best case scenario he played all 82 games and scored 20/20.   He’s yet to do that with us so it seems pretty unlikely...more like 10/10. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Super simple.

 

Canucks Send Sutter, 2021 5th round pick

 

to Colorado

 

Colorado Send 2019 16th overall pick to Vancouver.

 

Sutter and 2020 5th for 2019 16th overall.

 

Discuss

Colorado would never give a 1st rounder 16th overall for Sutter and 5th rounder..

Sutter is a 3rd or 4th line centre at best he might get you a late 2nd rounder or 3 round pick...Never never get a 1st rounder..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As mentioned AV’s really have no need for sutter. It’s not a role they are lacking. soderberg is already a better version of sutter. He’s counted on just as much in the D zone taking 60% d zone faceoffs, has a 50% face win rate and he still managed to put up 20+ goals 49 points.   

 

What they really need is a legit #2 center.  Perhaps Jost and Kamenev become that  but as of right now they are just trying to prove they are full time nhlers and neither is being counted on down the middle. Jost rarely took faceoffs averaging only two per game and only had 38%. He was 6th in faceoffs taken and looked much better playing the wing. 

 

I could see the avs dumping Barrie in exchange for a legit #2 center. And if I’m Holland I’m working on a way to make that happen.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

As mentioned AV’s really have no need for sutter. It’s not a role they are lacking. soderberg is already a better version of sutter. He’s counted on just as much in the D zone taking 60% d zone faceoffs, has a 50% face win rate and he still managed to put up 20+ goals 49 points.   

 

What they really need is a legit #2 center.  Perhaps Jost and Kamenev become that  but as of right now they are just trying to prove they are full time nhlers and neither is being counted on down the middle. Jost rarely took faceoffs averaging only two per game and only had 38%. He was 6th in faceoffs taken and looked much better playing the wing. 

 

I could see the avs dumping Barrie in exchange for a legit #2 center. And if I’m Holland I’m working on a way to make that happen.  

 

Sakic said he would like to extend Barrie.  They will discuss this summer.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, mll said:

 

Sakic said he would like to extend Barrie.  They will discuss this summer.

 

With Johnson locked up for another 3 years, Makar in the mix, it would make sense for them to move out one area of overstuffed cupboards, to fill a barer one.

 

Av's really need to spread out the scoring.  Bednar was forced a number of times to split up the big three in order to get other lines going.  If they could add another legit offensive threat like RNH to that core, it would be a real scary offensive to handle.  I don't imagine anything will happen till post draft and Av's get to see who they add with that 4th overall, by the looks of it, they will be adding another top end D.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...