The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van/Avs

8 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

With Johnson locked up for another 3 years, Makar in the mix, it would make sense for them to move out one area of overstuffed cupboards, to fill a barer one.

Av's really need to spread out the scoring.  Bednar was forced a number of times to split up the big three in order to get other lines going.  If they could add another legit offensive threat like RNH to that core, it would be a real scary offensive to handle.  I don't imagine anything will happen till post draft and Av's get to see who they add with that 4th overall, by the looks of it, they will be adding another top end D.

Johnson does not have the puck moving ability of Barrie and doesn't produce at his level.  For Bednar the Ds have to be right up in the play.  It will depend how reasonable Barrie's salary demands are.  Johnson is a great leader for them but the game is getting just a bit too fast.  He is still useful as their younger Ds adjust but to choose between Barrie and Johnson I think they would rather keep Barrie.  

Sakic says they will be looking into free agency. For him they are still in rebuild mode with a lot of youth that need to take the next step for them to really become contenders.  

16 minutes ago, mll said:

Johnson does not have the puck moving ability of Barrie and doesn't produce at his level.  For Bednar the Ds have to be right up in the play.

No but Makar does, and Johnson is locked up for another 3 years at 6 million.  Makar makes Barrie a bit redundant.  No need for 2 Defense who are clones of each and then and add in Girard on the left side and their back end starts to looks far too similar.  You need balance in the top 4, there's only so many prime offensive minutes to go around no matter how much Sakic thinks it would be great.

I love it here. I’ve been here my whole career and I’d like to be a part of it going forward. But at the end of the day, that’s up to management and where they see this going. That’s probably a conversation for a later date. But this is the second home for me. It’s become home. I spend a lot of time here. I love the guys. I love the organization. At the end of the day, it’s a business. But I do love it here.

He see's whats in the system, he's not stupid, Barrie is in the midst of him prime, he's undoubtably looking to lock up big long term which doesn't make a lot of sense for the avalanche.

16 minutes ago, mll said:

Sakic says they will be looking into free agency. For him they are still in rebuild mode with a lot of youth that need to take the next step for them to really become contenders.  

That's great but out side of Duchene and Hayes there's not many options for legit #2 center man, which is what that roster needs.

37 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

No but Makar does, and Johnson is locked up for another 3 years at 6 million.  Makar makes Barrie a bit redundant.  No need for 2 Defense who are clones of each and then and add in Girard on the left side and their back end starts to looks far too similar.  You need balance in the top 4, there's only so many prime offensive minutes to go around no matter how much Sakic thinks it would be great.

He see's whats in the system, he's not stupid, Barrie is in the midst of him prime, he's undoubtably looking to lock up big long term which doesn't make a lot of sense for the avalanche.

That's great but out side of Duchene and Hayes there's not many options for legit #2 center man, which is what that roster needs.

duchene is a ufa

avs could always pursue him

:P

12 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Johnson is 31 and has 4 more years - his contract ends at the same time as MacKinnon's.  He is already showing signs that the game is becoming too fast.  He might have to be moved before his contract is up.  Colorado has cap space for now so the length of his contract is not necessarily a limitation.

They do have Timmins coming on the right side but at this point they are just hoping he can play next season and will ease him in.

They might end up drafting that C.  Benning believes that up to #6 the player could step right in.  Their young players are going to be a year older and more experienced.

Barrie is a free agent in one year and to make that trade they would need to have an extension in place.  Given the uncertainty around Edmonton it's doubtful he would want to sign an extension right now.  He knows he will have options if he goes to free agency in a year.

Dave Tippett says he likes Draisaitl with McDavid.  That would put RNH at C2.  Holland talks of building their core and how they are still so young.  Do they really want Barrie now when he won't be enough to turn their team around.

Barrie does fill a need but it might be getting ahead of things when they need to make sure there are players coming up through the system to make them a contender.  They don't have the cap space to fill in their other needs through free agency.  The timing doesn't seem quite right.

It sounds like Holland sees this season more as an evaluation.  He says you build first and then you make a trade or two.  

Edited by mll