The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Goodbye Hong Kong. Nice knowing you....

Lancaster

Reports out of Hong Kong - university entrance engulfed in flames, petrol bombs thrown

Sun 17 Nov 2019 21:42:10 GMT

Happening right now - violence in HK ramping up

This is now getting extremely ugly. Reports of:
  • petrol bombs thrown by protestors
  • police trying to enter university campus ( Polytechnic University)
Situation is fluid, of course. 

On 11/14/2019 at 5:28 PM, Kragar said:

Hong Kong was screwed from the get-go.  There was no reality where China would not accelerate matters and make HK like any other part of the country, agreement be damned.  It is not like China has any history of treating their people well, especially those who run counter to the party line.

Sadly you're entirely right.  The question was always when, rather than if.

6 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Sadly, there's a lot more room for it to get worse before things can get better; I wouldn't put it past the clowns under 777's direction to cancel the district elections (or at least pull off some sleight of hand to invalidate the results, should the pro-democracy side win a majority of seats in the district elections), throwing things into further disarray.

I feel obligated to write my representatives at this point and encourage others to do the same. The world has to condemn China; this is humanitarian crisis.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, gurn said:

Even if they are shooting at you?

Freedom is never cheap.  HK citizens realize that this is a hill they are willing to go to battle on...... 

Fear of what lies ahead and they are willing to battle for their destiny.  

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Lancaster said:

https://news.yahoo.com/china-says-only-rule-hong-kong-constitution-015733061.html

Goodbye two systems.

Maybe it's time for Canada, US, UK, UN, etc to actually grow a pair and outright denounce China.  They have blatantly violated the Sino-UK Treaty.  

Even if there are bad consequences for our countries it’s definitely time to say something about china and others like it, im tired of my own countries leadership being chicken s#$& of standing up for basic human rights

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

These kids are such idiots, destroying their entire future and city. This will end and they will go; time to go back to school, oh wait we destroyed it...maybe I'll work until it's rebuilt, oh wait we killed the economy....

Then demand the government fix everything.

Instant they started looting/smashing stores/destroying things they lost any credibility. I'm still curious what their solution for justice is for that murdered girl, or if they plan on letting the murderer stay free.

• Wat 1

28 minutes ago, shad0w4life said:

These kids are such idiots, destroying their entire future and city. This will end and they will go; time to go back to school, oh wait we destroyed it...maybe I'll work until it's rebuilt, oh wait we killed the economy....

Then demand the government fix everything.

Instant they started looting/smashing stores/destroying things they lost any credibility. I'm still curious what their solution for justice is for that murdered girl, or if they plan on letting the murderer stay free.

Wow... just wow... it's like you have completely ignore everything that has happened and just followed the CCP talking points.

The protests were peaceful initially until the police and the city decided to start shutting things down.  In any democracy, even in other political systems in the world.... if 1-2 million people start protesting, the powers that be will take notice and would be reaching out with protesters.  Instead, Carrie Lam and Beijing decided to double down by cracking down on protesters, which have led to this vicious circle of escalating violence.  

The government could have easily went, "OMG... our bad.  We need to keep the 2-system ideals going.... we'll fully remove the proposed legislation."

But nope, they have hired triad to attack random people, you have officers attacking journalists, and are even attacking other city services like the fire department and first responders.  

Oh, one last thing.... the whole idea about passing the new law to extradite the suspect to Taiwan.... the Taiwanese government has stated multiple times that they will not recognize such law and wouldn't even follow through even if it did pass.  So yeah, oops... massive fail for Carrie Lam and China.  

I really hope and pray that you are a paid troll as I can't believe anyone would be so dense on the issue.  

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

China says the US should stop interfering in Hong Kong and China affairs - threatens retaliation

Wed 20 Nov 2019 01:23:49 GMT

This related to the US Senate passage of the bills in support of HK protesters

• China reiterates retaliation threat over US bill on Hong Kong
  • China urges US to stop interfereing in HK affairs:
  • Reiterates to retaliate if US passes HK bill 
  • China opposes US senate passage of HK. bill

https://www.forexlive.com/news/!/china-says-the-us-should-stop-interfering-in-hong-kong-and-china-affairs-20191120

Not going to help the US/China trade negotiations.