The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Goodbye Hong Kong. Nice knowing you....

Lancaster

17 minutes ago, shad0w4life said:

You'd burn your own house and work and claim you were being peaceful .....that's not Canadian at all.

Above all, Canadians now and in our past have stood up for freedom.   So proud to be a Canadian. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

USA is taking action about the terrible situation in  Hong Kong

What is Canada doing.... ?

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy/article/3038684/us-house-approves-hong-kong-rights-bill-sends-measure-donald

I wonder if there is a list of MP who are pro-China.

I did look into some local MP's Twitter... some post support for protests around the world... but oddly silent on the HK issue.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Lancaster said:

I wonder if there is a list of MP who are pro-China.

I did look into some local MP's Twitter... some post support for protests around the world... but oddly silent on the HK issue.  

Perhaps the Cdn government actually likes China, and their money that props up our house prices?

Or are they just too polite to piss off such a big country?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

Perhaps the Cdn government actually likes China, and their money that props up our house prices?

Or are they just too polite to piss off such a big country?

Really wish our country and our politicians would stand up and support freedom.  Support Hong Kong right now. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

It seems apparent that our country is unwilling to take a stand because:

1. the fat piece of pork is too tempting not to try to partake in (though how they can try to partake in it - in the recent context of the Wahwai extradition issue - is the real challenge facing our politicians), and 

2. they fear the endgame, which is global military action.

Canadian governments have sold out our country in recent years ....  it is sickening to see what Canada has become.

Our grandparents actually cared about Freedom and were willing to sacrifice for it...  Canadians nowdays will sell our souls for $$$$$$$.

Sick of what Canada has become. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Its horrible to see what is happening but imagine if Trump didnt personally step in and save HK how much worse it would be with the army rolling in.

Source: Fox & Friends Interview 11/22

The entire city, presumably, would have been obliterated within a quarter of an hour.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Canadian governments have sold out our country in recent years ....  it is sickening to see what Canada has become.

Our grandparents actually cared about Freedom and were willing to sacrifice for it...  Canadians nowdays will sell our souls for $$$$$$$.

Sick of what Canada has become. 

So true King.  I don't think that is just a problem here though.  I think it's a disease that affects most of the planet.  We are more interested in worshiping the "Golden Calf" than we are in helping our neighbor.  Should Vancouver have homeless people living on the streets?  Should what's going on in Hong Kong be accepted, without defending those people?  We are so damned selfish.  

• Upvote 1

China once again threatening to kick all of us... right in the  springroll.....

China Envoy Warns of 'Very Bad Damage' if Canada Follows U.S. Lead on Hong Kong

By Reuters

• Nov. 22, 2019, 2:37 p.m. ET

Cong repeated Beijing’s demand that Canada immediately release Huawei Technologies Co Ltd Chief Financial Officer Meng Wanzhou, who is out on bail after Canadian police detained her on a U.S. arrest warrant last December.

“This incident has led to the severe difficulties the two countries are facing nowadays,” said Cong.

Shortly after Meng’s arrest, China picked up two Canadian citizens on state secret charges, and has since blocked imports of canola seed from Canada.

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2019/11/22/world/asia/22reuters-canada-china.html

Edited by kingofsurrey

16 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I'm not going to bother with quoting the contents of the link, as it's still being updated regularly (it's a "live" blog of the district elections results), but I did want to say this: slaughtered, slaughtered I tells ya!

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/politics/article/3039132/results-blog

UPDATE: 90%!  That's frickin unbelievable, good job pro-democracy voters, now you guys need to sustain this momentum!

Maybe if a few of those members banned from running were in the elections... probably would have won a few more seats.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

I am actually surprised that there weren't some "irregularities" with the ballots.  

I was half expecting pro-Beijing to "win" most of the seats and thus the CCP can use it as leverage against the on-going movement.  

Me too. Quite surprising... perhaps there is hope yet.. 

2 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

There are, and some of them have been reported, but I think the general sentiment of the people was so strong that no hanky-panky could've been done in broad strokes that wouldn't have been noticed / would have resulted in the alarm not sounded.

If anything, though - I'd be concerned about the fact that "only" 3 million voters came out and yet there was still a modicum of pro-government representation.  This is because the LegCo is elected on a different set of rules, and with the functional constituencies making up half of the representatives, and most of the functional constituencies will want certainty and stability, so they will traditionally (and predictably) vote in pro-government stooges, meaning the populace will need to almost completely white-wash the other half (ie. electoral district candidates) in order to be able to do anything meaningful, as most private-member bills need two-thirds approval of the LegCo to succeed (government bills only need a simple majority).  Also, the electoral districts don't use first-past-the-post, but some form of proportional representation, meaning that there will always be some pro-government stooges that will get elected just by meeting the minimum threshold.

The LegCo is where the real action happens (law-making, impeachment powers, etc.), so the CCP doesn't really care about losing this small skirmish (in the grand scheme of things).  It only makes things uncomfortably inconvenient for their puppet, 777.

Hopefully this momentum can keep going into next LegCo election.  

I wonder how many of the special interest group seats will be going to the pro-democracy side.