The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Alex Edler Done in Vancouver?

Rate this topic

dpn1

26 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sure...but that's not a very worthwhile intellectual exercise in a discussion on whether to retain Edler vs replace him. Those other improvements are happening regardless of what we do with Edler or any potential replacement of him. Hence it makes no sense to include them in the discussion re: Edler.

At best you're looking at a lateral move and more likely, a downgrade. That's not 'better' any way you slice it.

John Shannon on 650 this morning said he'd give Edler a 3 year deal full NMC.... good thing he's not the GM. Edler is great, but we can't afford to lose a young defence man over him. Or if for some reason Jim goes the 8 player protected route depending on where the roster is at, its even more important that Edler doesn't have a NMC, even if it means a temporary 'downgrade'. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Minus Edler, add Tryamkin, Juolevi, Myers

Hughes - Myers

Tryamkin - Tanev

Hutton - Stetcher

Juolevi - Schenn 

That is a pretty good D core.  I would be happy with that moving forward.  When Tanev goes does it would be the following:

Hughes Myers

Joulevi Tryamkin

Hutton Stetcher

Schenn

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

John Shannon on 650 this morning said he'd give Edler a 3 year deal full NMC.... good thing he's not the GM. Edler is great, but we can't afford to lose a young defence man over him. Or if for some reason Jim goes the 8 player protected route depending on where the roster is at, its even more important that Edler doesn't have a NMC, even if it means a temporary 'downgrade'. 

See my above post. 

The media is blowing things out of proportion as per usual. Jim has stated numerous times that they want to resign Eagle and that he feels the same way, or else he would’ve been dealt at the Trade deadline. It’s all part of the negotiation process. No contract renewal is smooth sailing with sunshine, rainbows and unicorns. 

I’m a Edler fan and I hope he gets resigned but hopefully to the fair amount for both sides. He’s been our rock the past decade or so and never complains about any role given to him or diminished icetime ( cough..Loui.. cough)  even though the fans and media can be unfairly brutal to him. If any of you are questioning his character then you obviously don’t know this team as well as you think. 

• Cheers 2

LATEST ON THE CANUCKS

SPORTSNET: Iain Macintyre reports Vancouver Canucks general manager Jim Benning didn’t provide much detail on the stalled contract talks with Alexander Edler. However, he did say he doesn’t have the appetite for signing the 33-year-old defenseman to a deal longer than two years. That type of contract might require the Canucks to protect Edler in the 2021 NHL expansion draft. 

Benning will also be speaking soon with Loui Eriksson regarding his comments about head coach Travis Green. in a recent interview, the 33-year-old said he didn’t get along 100 percent with Green. He felt he wasn’t getting as much trust from the Canucks bench boss as he used to get from other coaches. Eriksson’s remarks fueled speculation he could be traded, linking him to the Edmonton Oilers in a possible swap with Milan Lucic. 

SPECTOR’S NOTE: It’s looking more likely Edler could test the UFA market on July 1. However, he could find other clubs share the Canucks reluctance to invest longer than two years because of the Seattle draft in 20201.

As for Eriksson, if he truly believes Green isn’t giving him a fair shake Benning could be forced to try and trade him. That could mean swapping him for another struggling veteran carrying a hefty contract. Remains to be seen if it would be Lucic or somebody else. 

He doesn’t want to move but if he doesn’t agree to what we are offering; which is probably a two year deal; he will have to move if he still wants to play.

so, he can choose to stay here, like he wants, for two years, or move now, like he doesn’t want.

hold firm GMJB. 

• Upvote 1

If Eddie doesn't retire a Canuck, I'll be pretty sad. 

Lets be real, if we don't give Alex his NMC, then Seattle will %100 claim him from us and we lose our top pairing guy. Alex just wants the NMC to guarantee he isn't moved at all during his contract. 

He doesn't want to get picked by Seattle, then who knows how loyal they will be there? He could get traded many more times... he wants his family stable. 

Alexander Edler is the kind of guy you want on your team. 

Edited by apollo

8 minutes ago, apollo said:

If Eddie doesn't retire a Canuck, I'll be pretty sad. 

Lets be real, if we don't give Alex his NMC, then Seattle will %100 claim him from us and we lose our top pairing guy. Alex just wants the NMC to guarantee he isn't moved at all during his contract. 

He doesn't want to get picked by Seattle, then who knows how loyal they will be there? He could get traded many more times... he wants his family stable. 

Alexander Edler is the kind of guy you want on your team. 

he is, and he's probably being offered $12 million bucks over 2 years, maybe more. Losing a younger player to expansion is a real concern for us. Eddie can take the money for 2 years, become a UFA and not have to sign with Seattle. Once the expansion draft is over we can re-sign him for 1 or 2 more years then if he has anything left in the tank. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

Yeah if he gets traded he can still decide where he goes during FA.  Should of had this decision made prior to the deadline, that's my point.

Yes but he doesn't want to be traded. He wants to stay and has indicated this... He does not want to leave Vancouver... 

Decision probably was made before the deadline. If Edler said no then, there was still nothing JB could do. 

This whole Edler business is just like the Hamhuis situation. We don't trade the guy, posture about signing him, just to watch him walk for nothing to a reasonable contract elsewhere. I'm thinking Benning isn't interested in Edler and wants to sign some other UFA defenseman. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

NTC is a fair compromise.  Gets to stay here, and only a slight risk of a move to another team in the same area to minimize the effects of uprooting the family.

3 years, full NTC, and making year 3 be mostly July 1 bonus money should be more than fair. If Seattle picks him he can take a 5 or 6 million dollar cheque, retire and go home. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he is, and he's probably being offered $12 million bucks over 2 years, maybe more. Losing a younger player to expansion is a real concern for us. Eddie can take the money for 2 years, become a UFA and not have to sign with Seattle. Once the expansion draft is over we can re-sign him for 1 or 2 more years then if he has anything left in the tank. 

spot on...problem solved.

Give him 7-8/year for 2 years incl NTC if needed, and then speak again in 2 years. Thats should cover what he wold have made on 3 years/NTC

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

This whole Edler business is just like the Hamhuis situation. We don't trade the guy, posture about signing him, just to watch him walk for nothing to a reasonable contract elsewhere. I'm thinking Benning isn't interested in Edler and wants to sign some other UFA defenseman. 

what an obtuse thing to say.   Hamhuis made it 100% clear he refused any trade for family and Edler the same.   You cannot trade a player who has a NTC if they don't want to be traded.   

They don't "walk for nothing", they are entitled to leave once their contract ends and they choose not to re-sign.   If you could not trade them (see above), there as "nothing" to get so they simply walk - that is it, nothing more.   This is up to the players in each case.    

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

spot on...problem solved.

Give him 7-8/year for 2 years incl NTC if needed, and then speak again in 2 years. Thats should cover what he wold have made on 3 years/NTC

yeah exactly, I don't really like a year 3 option but given that vs. Gardiner I guess I'd take it. 

But NMC just has to be out of the question for expansion. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

what an obtuse thing to say.   Hamhuis made it 100% clear he refused any trade for family and Edler the same.   You cannot trade a player who has a NTC if they don't want to be traded.   

They don't "walk for nothing", they are entitled to leave once their contract ends and they choose not to re-sign.   If you could not trade them (see above), there as "nothing" to get so they simply walk - that is it, nothing more.   This is up to the players in each case.    

the cap and roster space isn't nothing, its quite valuable. I don't know why people don't see that as a + as well. Edmonton wishes it had more of that. 

• Cheers 2