The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks interested in Anton Forsberg

Canucks already have 5 goaltenders signed - Markstrom, Demko, Bachman, DiPietro, Kielly.

Wonder if Canuck's staff no longer trusts Bachman to be the number 3 guy on the depth chart.  Wonder how that affects him, and the goal tending situation with DiPietro and Kielly in Utica.

JB probably has a lot of things on the go right now and one could very well involve Markstrom or Demko. IMO Demko would be the guy, as Markstrom gives us the greatest chance to win ATM and we have Dipietro coming along nicely. This would create a signifant hole for us, so Forsberg would make sense. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I assume this would be a substitute/upgrade on Bachman.  I think you want a number 1 in Utica that is still pushing for a job in the NHL so when he makes it it creates some competition.  Bachman is clearly just an AHL goalie and wasn't the best fill in at the NHL level this year.  Like the guy, but could also be good for DiPietro to have a a guy in Utica also competing with him to make the show. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Canucks already have 5 goaltenders signed - Markstrom, Demko, Bachman, DiPietro, Kielly.

Wonder if Canuck's staff no longer trusts Bachman to be the number 3 guy on the depth chart.  Wonder how that affects him, and the goal tending situation with DiPietro and Kielly in Utica.

I wonder more about the upcoming ED (and the likelihood that as we're built right now we're almost certainly losing a goalie), Markstrom's expiring contract this season and needing to move something of value to possibly improve elsewhere...

What is going on? Why is Vancouver interested in everybody? THIS CANUCKS TEAM WILL BE RADICALLY DIFFERENT THIS FALL (lol)

I assume they'd want Anton Forsberg if Richard Bachman is gonna be out for the next year. Also, with Jake Kielly and Michael DiPetrio being rookies, I don't see the Canucks having the most faith in either of them as call up options next season... and with Bachman injured + Travis having no trust in him, it does make sense for the Canucks to bring a veteran goalie in as a stop gap between Markstrom/Demko and DiPetro/Keilly.

One of the guys I follow on Youtube spoke to this last week.  As we lead up to the draft, and during a slow news cycle, it is easier to link Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal  to almost everybody, because you get the clicks.  There is a lot of smoke out there, but rarely any fire.  If we were to believe the news cycle, July 2nd will see each team with a 46 man roster and a payroll around 200 million.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

But, being a  team that is near the bottom of the league, to see our executives going out there and looking at everything that is on the table is respectable.  They shouldn't be ruling out anything, and should be looking in all places to improve not only our roster, but our depth from bottom to top as well.  That is just doing due diligence, and speaks to the fact that we aren't taking a vacation on issues facing our team.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Solinar said:

One of the guys I follow on Youtube spoke to this last week.  As we lead up to the draft, and during a slow news cycle, it is easier to link Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal  to almost everybody, because you get the clicks.  There is a lot of smoke out there, but rarely any fire.  If we were to believe the news cycle, July 2nd will see each team with a 46 man roster and a payroll around 200 million.

The Hockey Guy? I like most of what he puts out.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Solinar said:

Are you trying to tell me this won't be the case? Dang, was getting my hopes up.

• Cheers 1

My understanding is that there are doubts about Bachman's ability to fully recover from his last injury given his age, position,  and severity of the injury itself.  His ability to mentor the young goalies would be limited if he's sidelined wt injury imo.  

JB doing due diligence is what this says to me.  

• Upvote 3

This is great.  We do not have an NHL ready #3 goalie in our system right now.  Bachman is not, and DiPeitro is at least 2 years away.  I feel having NHL ready depth in Utica in all positions is going to be critical to us finishing up this rebuild.

• Upvote 1

Probably want to avoid another situation similar to the dipietro vs SAN Jose fiasco from earlier this season. On top of that, probably want to avoid having a goalie tandem similar to leighton/kulbakov in Utica this season. Imagine this means one of dipietro or kielly will start the season in Kalamazoo as the starter, which imo is a good thing

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, nergish said:

Demko's not being traded. His value will be doubled this time next year...

You mean the year before every team only gets to protect one goalie from expansion?  Why would someone pay more for a back up goalie that they will probably lose in a single season.

Now would be his highest trade value as teams would know after two years whether he is worth protecting over their existing #1.