The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks interested in Anton Forsberg

12 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Chara? :ph34r:

i think that the point is that good D men don’t go to the KHL and get worse.  I can’t think of any examples?  Larsson is an example of a d man that wasn’t good in the NHL became a KHL all star and then sucked at the NHL level again.  What examples do we have of the KHL ruining players?

Tryamkin will just have naturally gotten better with maturity.  He has a unique skill set and that won’t vanish in the KHL.

Literally dozens of examples of guys trying to extend careers or jumpstart it and similar that have done the KHL thing and tried to return but seldom get past the fitness testing before main camps at NHL level.   Watch a few KHL games and see if you think it is a good training group for NHL Dmen.   It certainly can happen but and there are some good examples of guys who have made the jump but it is increasingly become a league that does not stress D played the way the NHL plays it.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Literally dozens of examples of guys trying to extend careers or jumpstart it and similar that have done the KHL thing and tried to return but seldom get past the fitness testing before main camps at NHL level.   Watch a few KHL games and see if you think it is a good training group for NHL Dmen.   It certainly can happen but and there are some good examples of guys who have made the jump but it is increasingly become a league that does not stress D played the way the NHL plays it.

So your saying we should hold off on any hope of bringing back Cam Barker? Lol. 

Markstroms value is at a  peak after career year.

Demko is developing nicely and wouldn’t be surprised if He(demko) wasn’t the starter by the end of next season. 

Markstrom was outstanding last season but it’s called a career year for a reason. 

On 6/11/2019 at 12:35 PM, VIC_CITY said:

JB probably has a lot of things on the go right now and one could very well involve Markstrom or Demko. IMO Demko would be the guy, as Markstrom gives us the greatest chance to win ATM and we have Dipietro coming along nicely. This would create a signifant hole for us, so Forsberg would make sense. 

While I agree a goalie will be a chip, at some point, I don't think they're there yet.......they need to see how it flushes out for them before they move someone to another team.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

While I agree a goalie will be a chip, at some point, I don't think they're there yet.......they need to see how it flushes out for them before they move someone to another team.

If they have confidence in Demko continuing to develop (and I see no reason why they shouldn't), I see very little reason why they couldn't sell high on Markstrom (as much as I like the guy), sign a vet this summer to tandem with, and eventually backup for Thatcher, and enjoy the spoils of the trade return of moving Marky.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, stawns said:

I would normally agree with you but we just don't have many trade chips that teams actually want. So I could see Benning flipping Demko, re-signing Markstrom and signing a back up goalie for 2 years until Dipietro is ready to back up Markstrom.

Jake Virtanen and Thatcher Demko for Jason Zucker, would ya?

Jake Virtanen and Thatcher Demko for Colin Miller, would ya? 

• Wat 1

47 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I would normally agree with you but we just don't have many trade chips that teams actually want. So I could see Benning flipping Demko, re-signing Markstrom and signing a back up goalie for 2 years until Dipietro is ready to back up Markstrom.

I think they're going to want to see a year of Mikey first

6 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Normally, yes. But does Benning have a year to wait? I think his job is on the line this year. 

I don't think there's any chance his job is on the line this year.  A very small chance if it is 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

That's why UFA is the way to go this summer.  Moving players in a trade, right now, is just robbing Peter to pay Paul.

47 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think there's any chance his job is on the line this year.  A very small chance if it is 

After missing the playoffs for 5 years in a row, you'd have to think so. Has any GM ever missed 6 straight years?

On 6/12/2019 at 2:14 AM, Kobayashi Maru said:

Chara? :ph34r:

i think that the point is that good D men don’t go to the KHL and get worse.  I can’t think of any examples?  Larsson is an example of a d man that wasn’t good in the NHL became a KHL all star and then sucked at the NHL level again.  What examples do we have of the KHL ruining players?

Tryamkin will just have naturally gotten better with maturity.  He has a unique skill set and that won’t vanish in the KHL.

Do you mean Bruins captain Chara? From what I can see once he was drafted he never left North America except for the lock-out year when he played in Sweden. He did all of his developing in and around the best league in the  world. 

3 hours ago, Fan since 82 said:

Do you mean Bruins captain Chara? From what I can see once he was drafted he never left North America except for the lock-out year when he played in Sweden. He did all of his developing in and around the best league in the  world. 

He played for Lev Praha (KHL) in Prague during the lockout.  I actually watched a game live when he played there.

You are highlighting my point.  I don’t know of a player that was good in the NHL, left for the KHL (Not including players that are 35 plus who are naturally declining) then came back to the NHL in their prime still and stunk because the KHL ruined their game.

I think Tryamkin would have continued to learn and improve while there.  Obviously he would have learned more in the NHL but people are claiming he would regress because of this.

3 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

He played for Lev Praha (KHL) in Prague during the lockout.  I actually watched a game live when he played there.

You are highlighting my point.  I don’t know of a player that was good in the NHL, left for the KHL (Not including players that are 35 plus who are naturally declining) then came back to the NHL in their prime still and stunk because the KHL ruined their game.

I think Tryamkin would have continued to learn and improve while there.  Obviously he would have learned more in the NHL but people are claiming he would regress because of this.

Yeah didn't look far enough down the page because him playing half a season in the KHL during the 2nd lockout, after he was fully mature and not really developing any more, didn't really seem like a  good comparison to Tryamkin who is in his major development years. We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

• Cheers 1

On 6/13/2019 at 5:45 PM, VIC_CITY said:

Nope to both.  

Demko is just a smidge below Bo, Brock, Elias and Quinn.  

Demko, OJ, Gaudette, Woo, Madden, Virtannen and Dipeitro are all close together in value to our franchise at the moment.  

They all represent cost effective assets that have increasing value.  Unless we get a similar asset back or a much better hard to find can't miss younger player that has certainty to their game.  

In either deal above, the other team will make off like bandits.  Maybe not in year one, but by year 2 and beyond we will look foolish and short sighted. 

Mad Mike would though, so that's one GM that would go for those moves. 

Edited by Phat Fingers

On 6/13/2019 at 2:45 PM, VIC_CITY said:

Uhm absolutely no to both of those.