The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

FIFA Women’s World Cup 2019

CBH1926

World Cup  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Team Canada's failure to advance is a huge disappointment.

This was the best team the country has ever fielded... tons of talent.

In every year that John Herdman coached the women's team they over-achieved.

In his first year in competition, Kenneth Heiner-Moller has under-achieved.

In every game I watched his team appeared to be out-coached.... he did not seem to react to the challenges which the other sides presented.  He seems inflexible.

One blunder which stands out to me is the selection of the person who would take the penalty in the Sweden game.  There is no room for nice feelings or encouragement in World Cup Finals... you put the best person in place.  Christine Sinclair is a 182 goal scorer who knows how to deliver.  Janine Beckie was having a poor tournament, hadn't scored, and looked off in the game... in my opinion she should have been subbed earlier.  For Heiner-Moller to allow Beckie to take the kick was completely foolish.

Not sure this coach is the right fit for this team... not getting the best out of them.

Again, huge disappointment.

6 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yep. Missed the match, but saw the two highlights. The 'Keeper guessed right and made a terrific save. Nothing wrong with the shot by JB...

Disappointing, but they left it all out on the field.

All of a sudden, I've become a big fan of Team France.

Should be a good game on Friday - the number one ranked US versus France and ten's of thousands of supporters!

And while we're talking about international soccer, I see the Canadian men's team will play Haiti in the Gold Cup quarterfinals on Saturday.

Canada is ranked 78th in the world while Haiti is 101 so it would seem to be a winnable game.

11 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

And while we're talking about international soccer, I see the Canadian men's team will play Haiti in the Gold Cup quarterfinals on Saturday.

Canada is ranked 78th in the world while Haiti is 101 so it would seem to be a winnable game.

it was kind of a surprising result between Haiti and Costa Rica. In some circles the CR coaching staff is being criticized for going for the win when a tie would have given them top spot in the group, but fans of attacking football applaud the move.

Still, drawing Mexico probably has them second guessing that strategy.

15 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Can't stand Megan Rapinoe when she's on the pitch, (or any other member of the US Women's team) but I applaud her stance of the field:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/fifa-womens-world-cup/megan-rapinoe-has-harsh-response-about-possible-white-house-visit/ar-AADrmDh?li=AAggFp5

What's the big deal about her not singing the Anthem?  I never heard of a person having to sing along.  That's not at all disrespectful, is it?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

What's the big deal about her not singing the Anthem?  I never heard of a person having to sing along.  That's not at all disrespectful, is it?

Nothing. But she's said something publicly about the Trump WH that he doesn't like, so he's firing back.

it doesn't have to make any sense, because that would be totally out of character for Fat Donny....

• Haha 1

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

Nothing. But she's said something publicly about the Trump WH that he doesn't like, so he's firing back.

it doesn't have to make any sense, because that would be totally out of character for Fat Donny....

Just wish we keep politics separate from sport. It's a bad mix.  Kind of like church and state don't mix. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Just wish we keep politics separate from sport. It's a bad mix.  Kind of like church and state don't mix. 

It's a tough call.

Some would say that if you feel strongly about something and that people are truly suffering because of an injustice, it behooves one to use whatever platform they might have to draw attention to it.

In the case of Megan Rapinoe, she's relevant only for a couple of weeks, once every two to four years, so the time for her to say her piece is whenever someone is listening.

Edited by RUPERTKBD

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's a tough call.

Some would say that if you feel strongly about something and that people are truly suffering because of an injustice, it behooves one to use whatever platform they might have to draw attention to it.

In the case of Megan Rapinoe, she's relevant only for a couple of weeks, once every two to four years, so the time for her to say her piece is whenever someone is listening.

I kind of meant the other way around.  I have no issue with athletes expressing their opinions.  It's the politicians that should not make sport political.  Just keep their noses out of the games, other than as fans.   

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I kind of meant the other way around.  I have no issue with athletes expressing their opinions.  It's the politicians that should not make sport political.  Just keep their noses out of the games, other than as fans.   

Well, there's certainly a case to be made for "taking the high road", but of course we all know that Trump would get a nosebleed if he tried.....

17 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

In the case of Lalas, I'd say it's all of the time...

So the semis have been decided: It's Sweden - Netherlands and US - England.

I'm hoping for a England - Holland final, so we'll likely see the opposite....

I would have been cheering for whatever team was facing the Americans, but the fact that the Netherlands is there is the next best thing to Canada.

I still think the Yanks win, but Holland being the competition makes me even more invested in seeing them lose.

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I would have been cheering for whatever team was facing the Americans, but the fact that the Netherlands is there is the next best thing to Canada.

I still think the Yanks win, but Holland being the competition makes me even more invested in seeing them lose.

I’m with you, but having the US win should create some fun Trump stuff.