The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Astronomical sightings thread

Kragar

24 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Hey CDC

I would guess a few of you out there care about stuff like this, so thought I would share.  My wife is a bigger nut about this than I am, so she keeps me informed of what is going on up there.

She gave me some news today, about a Mercury-Mars conjunction going on now, continuing over the next week or so (pic below is for northern hemisphere, but also visible from parts of southern as well):

Diagram: Stars Castor, Pollux and Capella with Mercury and Mars close to horizon.

https://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/mercury-mars-conjunction-on-june-18

I'll try to keep this updated as I get more news, but of course feel free to beat me to the punch.

Also, for those that are interested: https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/ will get you notifications on when the station will be zipping by overhead.  Big, bright, and fast!

Have fun!!

Last year (or was it the year before... getting old) was fun, with Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn all visible in the sky at the same time, no binocs needed, for a good portion of the summer.

Not a bad thread at all. Thank you!

• Cheers 1

Tis the season for stargazing!

And yes, last years (or was it the year before) planetary alignment, or cluster or whatever was pretty cool if you ask me. Admired it from my front porch.

This time of year and until the autumn rains start, I smoke my nightly cannabis on the back deck, locate the north star and count satellites for a while. I give myself double points for shooting stars / meteors and I tend to get really excited if I spot the ISS. That thing is awesome.

Huge

Bright

Wicked fast

And us humans built it

2 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Tis the season for stargazing!

And yes, last years (or was it the year before) planetary alignment, or cluster or whatever was pretty cool if you ask me. Admired it from my front porch.

This time of year and until the autumn rains start, I smoke my nightly cannabis on the back deck, locate the north star and count satellites for a while. I give myself double points for shooting stars / meteors and I tend to get really excited if I spot the ISS. That thing is awesome.

Huge

Bright

Wicked fast

And us humans built it

2 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

I am a Leo

I like dogs, long walks on the beach and making breakfast ;)

1 minute ago, Shift-4 said:

Astronomy > Astrology. 

Stargazing is real, astrology is not. 

I didn't put my real birthday in my profile, shocker right... But I, like @brilac, was born on a cusp and therefore my sign means absolutely less of nothing than anyone else's.

Side note - when the zodiak was created we (humans) based it on a 360 day year, so you're actually a Capricorn. Sorry champ!

• Cheers 1

Just now, luckylager said:

Astronomy > Astrology. 

Stargazing is real, astrology is not. 

I didn't put my real birthday in my profile, shocker right... But I, like @brilac, was born on a cusp and therefore my sign means absolutely less of nothing than anyone else's.

Side note - when the zodiak was created we (humans) based it on a 360 day year, so you're actually a Capricorn. Sorry champ!

So I can't make your breakfast?  :P

I was actually born on a cusp too but I would rather be a lion than a crab...so yeah

Edited by Shift-4

3 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

So I can't make your breakfast?  :P

I was actually born on a cusp too but I would rather be a lion than a crab...so yeah

I like breakfast. 

Eggs Benny with double smoked bacon, avocado and tomato. Drown that &^@#er in hollandaise and I like my hashbrowns crispy.

Just now, luckylager said:

I like breakfast. 

Eggs Benny with double smoked bacon, avocado and tomato. Drown that &^@#er in hollandaise and I like my hashbrowns crispy.

Ok, I'm hungry now

On topic

I love early morning sunrises. Does that count? I still remember one vividly from about 16 months ago. Driving to work I wanted to stop traffic to take pics. Just amazing colours with the formation of clouds and sun rising. Big sky in Alberta is something else.

• Cheers 1