The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Radko Gudas for Matt Niskanen

https://www.tsn.ca/washington-capitals-get-radko-gudas-from-philadelphia-flyers-for-matt-niskanen-1.1322266

first trade since the end of the playoffs...Philly gets Matt Niskanen and Washington gets Radko Gudas. 

According to Pierre Lebrun the Flyers will retain 30% of Gudas' salary...

https://mobile.twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1139518760493166592

Edited by JamesBlondage

Just now, mephnick said:

I don't get this from Philly. Gudas is better, younger and less expensive than Niskanen (who had a terrible year) AND they retained salary?

Must be something else going on me thinks. Have heard lots of rumbling about Ghost being available, wish JB would get in on him....but am hearing Montreal is most likely.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

Was hoping the Canucks would target niskanen. I knew he’d be cheap but didn’t realize he would be this cheap

I guess the equivalent would have been Tanev with ~50% retention. But with Tanev struggling to stay healthy, I'm sure the Caps would prefer Gudas.

Then next would be Stecher, and that just wouldn't make sense for us.

3 hours ago, D-Money said:

Niskanen had a down year, but he's getting older and had a short summer after winning the cup (and he was fantastic during that playoff run).

And even still, Niskanen averaged 21:56 a game, and averaged around 25:00 the last couple playoffs. Gudas has never broken 20, and doesn't get the nearly same quality of competition.

Niskanen > Gudas, plain and simple. But Washington gets to save some cap.

This^^^

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

I guess the equivalent would have been Tanev with ~50% retention. But with Tanev struggling to stay healthy, I'm sure the Caps would prefer Gudas.

Yeah, I would have loved a Tanev @ 50% deal even if we had to add a late pick or something to outbid PHI for Niskanen.

Hopefully, Benning puts a deal like this in his memory banks (if he's still here, that is).

Both teams filled a need.

Philly got more speed and skill while Washington picked up more grit and toughness. 

Washington, in particular, walked away smiling.

I'm thinking by 2022-2023, we'll be looking for similar depth for a true contender. 

Edited by komodo0921

Eberle off the board, Connolly potentially off the board now unless he goes to free agency specifically to see if Vancouver has interest. Not a fan of this trade as a proponent of signing Connolly. Lol. It's a great trade for Washington imo. They even got Philly to retain cap on Gudas. 

9 hours ago, D-Money said:

I think Hutton could have been an option going the other way

47 minutes ago, apollo said:

Washington robbed them... Not sure how people think this is even. Plus Philly retained?!

Only red flag around gudas is that his next suspension will be lengthy. 

Him and Tom (wilson) will have some quality time off together next year.

• Upvote 2