The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Jordan Eberle re-signs with Islanders for 5 years

52 minutes ago, Free-Unit said:

You totally missed the point on that one. Loui has steadily been declining whereas Jordan had an off season but really showed up in the playoffs which showed there should no reason he won't pick it up again next season.

Eberle has been on the decline as well (obviously not as much as Eriksson) last season his stats were pumped up by Barzel. During his last 2 years in Edmonton he was Meh except for a couple good weeks near the end of the season to get him to 50 points. I was thinking his next contract would be around 4.5 to 5 at the most.

39 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

If Eberle returns to his 60-point form, this could be a steal. Last year he was a 19-goal 37-point guy though, in which case this would be a bit of an over payment. The jury's still out on this one.

Point per game in the playoffs last season, even in spite of the cold scoring for all the Isles in the 2nd round. 

13 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

Eberle has been on the decline as well (obviously not as much as Eriksson) last season his stats were pumped up by Barzel. During his last 2 years in Edmonton he was Meh except for a couple good weeks near the end of the season to get him to 50 points. I was thinking his next contract would be around 4.5 to 5 at the most.

so you're complainign about $.5m discrepancy?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CanuckinEdm said:

Cherry pick stats? Its not what have you done in the past its what you have done now and last season he had 37 points. If its what you have done in the past then Loui is a great offensive player thats worth over 6 mil per...

9 points in 8 playoff games.  That's what he's done for them lately.  He had 59 points last year as well.  No way he is in full decline.  I think this is a fair deal for the Islanders.  Obviously it may not work out in the last 1-2 years, but what contract is not structured that way.

20 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

I guess, My 5 mil is being very generous.

Teams don't just look at one year when they negotiate a contract.  He's got a solid resume and he had a solid playoff.  I'd say that's a fair contract for a guy who brings a lot more than just points.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CanuckinEdm said:

Cherry pick stats? Its not what have you done in the past its what you have done now and last season he had 37 points. If its what you have done in the past then Loui is a great offensive player thats worth over 6 mil per...

Exactly, his latest was a stellar post season (9pts in 8 games).

Eberle is and always has been a 'big game' player.

The problem is that there was never a big game to play in Deadmonton lol.

Nice steal on behalf of the Isles - fleeced the Coil again, as if robbing them of the picks for Barzal (and the pick they used to trade up for Beauvillier) wasn't enough lol.

Not a bad re-up at 5.5.

3 hours ago, CanuckinEdm said:

There's generally more stats than just points dude. Have you even seen him play? Did you even watch a NYI playoff game? He was pretty solid.

Just saying "37 points" tells me you looked at hockeydb and saw a number and made an assumption entirely based on that. Just being honest.

Edited by The Lock

4 hours ago, CanuckinEdm said:

Take a look at that team as a whole. Almost every player took a dip in production (aside from Nelson, whom they re-signed first as a priority), even the highly coveted Barzal dropped by over 20+ points, but not many are thinking less of him. Trotz realized what team he had to work with and made them adapt to a new system to make them win and they did. They bought in despite a decrease in production individually which I'm sure agents would hate to see. NYI is paying the guys that want to be an Islander and are committed to winning as one. And despite his lower numbers this year, he had 9 points in 8 games in the playoffs. Considering NYI hasn't been a high profile destination, this is a very reasonable signing especially given the term that takes him to 34 which just might be his last contract with the way this league is trending unless he continues to perform and earns shorter deals after.