The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Eriksson “NOT” likely to be moved on

9 minutes ago, Provost said:

There are clauses regarding loans outside the NHL... but I don't recall it ever happening.  It would be likely a retirement and/or mutual agreement to terminate the contract.  I don't see that happening and his camp hasn't even hinted at it.  He wants his money.

In the CBA Article 11 Section 19 (Loan to Clubs outside North America), it reads as follows: " The SPC [Standard Player Contract] of any Player may contain a clause that provides that, in the event his NHL Club Loans the Player to a club outside the NHL, during the period of such Loan, the Player shall have the option to be Loaned to a club of his choice outside North America. The clause may relieve the NHL Club of the obligation to pay the Player his Paragraph 1 Salary [aka his base salary, must be greater than >$650,000 in 2017-18 (11.12.a)] for the duration of such Loan if such relief is expressly stated in the provision, but the NHL Club shall otherwise be responsible for all other payments due to the Player by the NHL Club pursuant to his SPC. Such clause shall be subject to any applicable Player Transfer Agreement between the NHL and a hockey federation and/or the IIHF in effect, at the time of the Loan. The Player shall be permitted to make financial arrangements for compensation and other benefits with the club outside North America for the duration of the Loan, which financial compensation and benefits shall not be included in Averaged Club Salary, Actual Club Salary, League-wide Player Compensation or the Players' Share. The Club shall be required to provide to the NHL and the NHLPA in accordance with Exhibit 3 any loan agreement entered into in relation to such Loan by no later than 5:00 p.m. New York time on the day following the day the Club has received the executed loan agreement"

Chicago sent goalie Cristobal Huet to Europe.  https://www.capfriendly.com/players/cristobal-huet

He was on 5.625M cap hit.  By the sounds of it Chicago got full cap relief but continued to pay his salary.  It was under the former CBA where cap hits could be entirely buried in the AHL.

Wouldn't a loan to Europe be treated like a demotion to the minors - a 1.075M cap relief with the balance remaining on the books.  

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Chicago sent goalie Cristobal Huet to Europe.  https://www.capfriendly.com/players/cristobal-huet

He was on 5.625M cap hit.  By the sounds of it Chicago got full cap relief but continued to pay his salary.  It was under the former CBA where cap hits could be entirely buried in the AHL.

Wouldn't a loan to Europe be treated like a demotion to the minors - a 1.075M cap relief with the balance remaining on the books.  

in Huet's case tho it was all base salary, no bonus money. We might get stuck with that on our cap. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

That is great for us!  Why would the Sens do that though?

dunno, I guess the assumption is to reach the cap floor and maybe get something out of Goldy. 

I'll believe a trade when i see it, I don't think its going to be easy. Sorry to be a downer. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't think EDM pays up enough in sweetener to make it worthwhile, but if they do, absolutely!

Otherwise they can have that boat anchor dragging them around for the next few years. That's just as helpful to Vancouver anyway ::D

Agreed

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

dunno, I guess the assumption is to reach the cap floor and maybe get something out of Goldy. 

I'll believe a trade when i see it, I don't think its going to be easy. Sorry to be a downer. 

I see Loui either in Utica next season or sitting at home.  I just don't see a trade where we don't hurt us in the process of dumping the guy.  Loui for Milan?  Is that really what we want?  

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That is great for us!  Why would the Sens do that though?

Because it gives El Cheapo 3 years of double your cap hit for half the money and helps them stay over the cap floor for the next 3 years. 

Plus Eriksson would actually improve their team.,,,,,,,,  I know

The below starts in season 2019-20

image.thumb.png.658da23dad9ec9fd505e0ab6e8066956.png

Edited by Borvat
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I see Loui either in Utica next season or sitting at home.  I just don't see a trade where we don't hurt us in the process of dumping the guy.  Loui for Milan?  Is that really what we want?  

I don't, unless it comes with the 8th oa or Bouchard (and i know the odds on that).

I think you're correct Alfie, I think its Utica barring someone in Ottawa having a stroke no one catches in time. 

• Cheers 1

This is great news.

.... and a thought on the possibility of LE going to Edmonton for Lucic..  

In Lucic we will have a man that will have EP’s back in the very least, which could amount to 15 - 20 more points for EP..

.. and Edmonton will be getting a human pylon in LE,  for MacDavid to use as a “pick” to set himself up... possibly 15-20 more points for McDavid.

I think that’s a fair trade.

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You're missing some important variables Alf.

Lucic is a serious problem for Deadmonton - not only did he produce 6 goals for $6 million, but he also holds a NMC that post-dates the expansion draft.

Eriksson is not really a relative problem for Vancouver.

Edmonton's 'time' was supposed to be the present - for the past few years running. 

Eriksson's contract hits its twilight years as this team really starts hitting it's stride.

Would it be nice to dump Eriksson?  Sure.  Is it imperative?  Not really..

Why does Ottawa take his contract?

First, they'd get a 6 million cap hit for 1 million of salary this year, and 18 million worth over 3 years for 9.

Their owner is notoriously cheap - not that hard to imagine them parroting the bad move that Arizona made taking the Datsyuk contract for literally next to no compensation - and the Canucks don't really lack leverage here - there is no desperation or pressing need to move Eriksson.

Second, they love Swedes in Ottawa, and they miss Alfredsson.

Third, a sweetener like Goldobin could actually make sense for them - a team that misread their own trajectory, spent a bunch of futures on win-now deals and then abruptly turned ship shortly afterwards.

It's not terribly unrealistic - and if getting a pick back is deemed too much, fine, give them Goldobin and forget the return.

11 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

He's an even worse deal than LE.

Hutton is a steal by comparison. 

He's got both less term and less salary and fills a need for us is all I was thinking.   Don't get me wrong,  I'm not a fan of Pan-Hoof but he's still a top 6 D at least which we need.