The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumour: Canucks very active in trade market (Canucks looking at D options)

53 minutes ago, Pears said:

Isn’t offensive defensemen what we’ve been wanting for forever? You can never have too many of those regardless of how small they are. If you can play defense, and produce at a high level I don’t care how big or small you are. 5’11” 181lbs isn’t even small anyway. 

5'11"  181 IS SMALL in the NHL. There is absolutely no way to argue that one.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, xereau said:

Plays in Europe.  He is done in the NHL.

What are the cap implications for the Canucks of this happens? Do we get 6M freed up? 

Also, I would think the only way we could trade away LE is by retaining a couple million from his salary. No one is going to want LE at 6M/year unless we do that “Lucic trade”....

Just now, grandmaster said:

What are the cap implications for the Canucks of this happens? Do we get 6M freed up? 

Also, I would think the only way we could trade away LE is by retaining a couple million from his salary. No one is going to want LE at 6M/year unless we do that “Lucic trade”....

If he retires, we get it all (he might do this if he is waived and refuses Utica).

Team is hit with 5.6m if they buy out (won't happen)

Probably have to keep some cap if he is moved to another NHL team.

Maybe Benning surprises us and dumps him in whole for some useful parts.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Philly needs centres and obviously, Horvat isn't going to Philly unless a lot more than Gostibehere is coming back. I think Philly would want Gaudette but who knows maybe if Hayes doesn't sign they will be up for Sutter + Tanev 

I love Horvat but who here would do the following (if a high level C is what Philly wants):

Horvat / Hutton

for

right to sign Hayes / Nolan Patrick / Ghost

I would absolutely hate to lose Horvat but if Hayes said he would resign with us I would do it lol.

18 minutes ago, aGENT said:

His actual salary after July 1st is $9m over three years or $3m per with a $6m cap hit. It could be attractive to cap floor teams.

Only Ottawa looks to be close to the floor - some 13M and 8 players to add including Ceci and White.  Ceci was on a 4.3M contract last season.

NJD but they want to be active in free agency or on the trade market to add top talent - 14M to reach the floor and 9 players to add.

The other teams have key RFA players to sign and will be above - Colorado with Rantanen, Carolina with Aho.  Arizona is already closer to the ceiling than the floor.

Edited by mll

I highly doubt Jim Benning has the appetite to have half his dcore under 6 feet.  Already having Quinn Hughes, Troy Stecher 5'11 and under, adding Gostisbehere wouldn't be congruent with what he emphasized earlier in his last media press conference.

He emphasized on how the playoffs were being played and the Blues/Bruins defence were all big players who can move the puck and make good plays.  No doubt JB will sniff around, but I have the feeling he will steer away and try to target bigger blueliners, like Myers, albeit I don't think I fully agree with that philosophy. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

5'11"  181 IS SMALL in the NHL. There is absolutely no way to argue that one.

Gostisbehere is two inches below the average height of an NHL player. The average weight is two hundred pounds so he’s a little below average in that category. Still didn’t stop him from scoring 65 points a season ago. 

9 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I highly doubt Jim Benning has the appetite to have half his dcore under 6 feet.  Already having Quinn Hughes, Troy Stecher 5'11 and under, adding Gostisbehere wouldn't be congruent with what he emphasized earlier in his last media press conference.

He emphasized on how the playoffs were being played and the Blues/Bruins defence were all big players who can move the puck and make good plays.  No doubt JB will sniff around, but I have the feeling he will steer away and try to target bigger blueliners, like Myers, albeit I don't think I fully agree with that philosophy. 

I'd imagine Stecher would be part of what's going the other way FWIW but I agree, someone like Ristolainen seems a more fitting target.

Edited by aGENT

19 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I love Horvat but who here would do the following (if a high level C is what Philly wants):

Horvat / Hutton

for

right to sign Hayes / Nolan Patrick / Ghost

I would absolutely hate to lose Horvat but if Hayes said he would resign with us I would do it lol.

No. Not into that at all. I hope Bo is a Canuck for life and the next captain. I honestly would trade him for primadona, overpaid Matthews.

18 minutes ago, mll said:

Only Ottawa looks to be close to the floor - some 13M and 8 players to add including Ceci and White.  Ceci was on a 4.3M contract last season.

NJD but they want to be active in free agency or on the trade market to add top talent - 14M to reach the floor and 9 players to add.

The other teams have key RFA players to sign and will be above - Colorado with Rantanen, Carolina with Aho.  Arizona is already closer to the ceiling than the floor.

Yeah Loui is still a useful player in the bottom six but getting equally useful such winger ain’t hard for less than 3 million a year.  To reach the cap floor, such team could just pay for a top six player (as it serves an equally important purpose) or a D.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

as it stands, even with JPs comments I think this is the most likely scenario. As for what happens then? maybe he doesn't report. Who knows. 

If he doesn't report, does that mean he can be contract terminated for breach? 

He could go home. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Maybe something like Tanev (AV familiarity), Goldobin, Madden, and a 2nd?

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Gaudette, Juolevi and a 3rd might get it done. 

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

2020 1st, 2019 3rd, Madden, Tanev or hopefully less.

Not sure how many times he has to say "NOT trading young players or picks".  Rather stunning the eagerness to trade even just-drafted players, especially ones who are progressing better than their draft position.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Not sure how many times he has to say "NOT trading young players or picks".  Rather stunning the eagerness to trade even just-drafted players, especially ones who are progressing better than their draft position.

He’ll have to give up something to get a player of Gostisbehere’s calibre. 

The dream scenario would be Hutton / Tanev + Sutter +???? Maybe Jake?

But their is no way philly gives up Ghost for so little. The rumoured package from Montreal of Byron + Shaw is better overall for them.

Ghost would be a decent add to the blue line though making him & hughes the offensive dmen just means they need to add some grit and the defense looks ok (to me anyway)