• Signs with Canucks 1-2 years 7 mill or less
    • Signs with canucks 1-2 years more than 7 mill
    • signs with Canucks more than 2 years 7 mill or less
    • signs with Canucks more than 2 years show me the money more then 7 mill
    • Signs else where more than 2 years 7 mill or less
    • signs else where more then 2 years 7 mill or more show me the money
    • signs else where absolutely 8 million-9million 4-5 years

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/01/2019 at 11:22 AM

Ok your wrong... only an idiot would pay a injury riddled aging Dman that kind of money for that kind of term. If he can't put a full season in without being injured at least once since 2015 then why even  bother?

As much as i like eagle, just plain no. If he was 25 then maybe but at 33, no way!

• Cheers 2

Edler is a great defenceman. Of course he never hit those heights he once looked to, but I think people don't realize how important he is. He eats the toughest minutes and puts up points. Plays a strong game despite seemingly losing a bit of physicality after those bs suspensions. Never seems to complain or take a shift off. I know he's not comfortable with being a face of the team, but he seems to me to be a big influence and leader in the dressing room. Plays in all situations. He's losing steam like most do though, and has become injury prone. Hasn't played a full season in 6 years. Can't pay him those lulzy numbers at that though I think this may be a troll. Though I do wonder what his stat line might look like if he was getting real sheltered limited minutes in an offensive role on a really good team. 

Edit: I just read Edler wants a 3 year deal and Van won't do it. This is insane to me, and does a disservice to a player who has earned it.

Edited by steve french
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, iceman64 said:

Earned it? By getting paid millions for the last 12 years? He earned what he got paid... nothing more, nothing less. We owe him nothing and nor does he owe us... 

Of course. This is a business. I don't advocate throwing money at anybody for sentimental feelings. I'm of the opinion that his on and off-ice performance has been of an adequate value to give him a contract that extends more than two years.

2 minutes ago, steve french said:

Of course. This is a business. I don't advocate throwing money at anybody for sentimental feelings. I'm of the opinion that his on and off-ice performance has been of an adequate value to give him a contract that extends more than two years.

Then why did you say we're doing him a disservice?  

And for that kind of money he's made here he should do those things on and off the ice, it's called "giving back" 

2 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Then why did you say we're doing him a disservice?  

And for that kind of money he's made here he should do those things on and off the ice, it's called "giving back" 

I suppose the disservice is in not wanting to give him the term or pay him what he is worth, and causing him to move on from a team he wants to stay with. And I guess along those lines it certainly does get into the territory of semantics and feelings, so perhaps I shouldn't have used the term. Damn, I have exposed myself as being sentimental. I still think that it would be smart to give him a three year contract at a good term as I believe he will own up to it due to his past play. But of course that is more conjecture.

2 minutes ago, steve french said:

I suppose the disservice is in not wanting to give him the term or pay him what he is worth, and causing him to move on from a team he wants to stay with. And I guess along those lines it certainly does get into the territory of semantics and feelings, so perhaps I shouldn't have used the term. Damn, I have exposed myself as being sentimental. I still think that it would be smart to give him a three year contract at a good term as I believe he will own up to it due to his past play. But of course that is more conjecture.

Don't expose yourself in here tyvm!  Lol!

If not for his age and injury list a mile long i'd agree but that's not the case. Like mr xereau said, 2x 5 mil is fine, but if he wants more it's not benefitial to the team

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Don't expose yourself in here tyvm!  Lol!

If not for his age and injury list a mile long i'd agree but that's not the case. Like mr xereau said, 2x 5 mil is fine, but if he wants more it's not benefitial to the team

The age and the injuries are my main concerns as well. And I know he will want a NMC too. When I put all those optics in, it does seem like a handicapping contract. I still think at like a 4 million x 3 years he won't be a huge liability in most terms. I think he'd play up to it. The thought of losing a good player to expansion because of a NMC on an elderly injury prone player does seem egregious though. As it stands right now it seems the only defencemen they'd have to protect would be Hughes and potentially Juolevi and Woo if the former seems worth it and the latter plays in the NHL starting next year, or if they draft a defenceman who can jump into the lineup immediately. And any potential free agent signees. There is a possibility it seems though that they might not have do that. But I guess having those options open is good and important. I don't know, I'm conflicted. I like Edler and still think he will be good for a few years and can be important in terms of sheltering younger players and being a good mentor. I'm glad I don't have to make these decisions.

55 minutes ago, steve french said:

The age and the injuries are my main concerns as well. And I know he will want a NMC too. When I put all those optics in, it does seem like a handicapping contract. I still think at like a 4 million x 3 years he won't be a huge liability in most terms. I think he'd play up to it. The thought of losing a good player to expansion because of a NMC on an elderly injury prone player does seem egregious though. As it stands right now it seems the only defencemen they'd have to protect would be Hughes and potentially Juolevi and Woo if the former seems worth it and the latter plays in the NHL starting next year, or if they draft a defenceman who can jump into the lineup immediately. And any potential free agent signees. There is a possibility it seems though that they might not have do that. But I guess having those options open is good and important. I don't know, I'm conflicted. I like Edler and still think he will be good for a few years and can be important in terms of sheltering younger players and being a good mentor. I'm glad I don't have to make these decisions.

Hughes, and Woo will not need protection in the expanison draft. Also is Richmond Tony not worth keeping around?....

If Edler was 27, he'd be worth close to that but probably more in the ball park of $7M. The fact of the matter is, he's 32, which hurts his value. At best he's a 6.5M guy and that's being very generous. I lean on the more positive dispositions to Edler, but there's no way he's worth as much as you're suggesting. On the other hand, I think those that think he's worth $5M or less are also out to lunch.