The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Kurtis Gabriel

I’ve been hearing plenty that the Canucks want to get bigger and stronger and personally I’m happy to hear this.  We’re all aware of the maybe Lucic for Loui offer but the player I want is Kurtis Gabriel.  6’4, 200+ RW.  He’s a guy who’s engine runs hot.  He’s often being told to ‘cool it’ instead of ‘get it going.’  He just turned 26.  An Ontario kid tough as nails. He’s a UFA so won’t cost us an asset.  At 26 years old, he can grow with our team and be a fan favourite.  As much as I love speed and skill, I’m totally in favour of a tough guy (enforcer type) on my team.

Kurtis Gabriel

Sign 2 years 

AAV less than $1M per

Lets go Jimbo.  Let’s bring in Gabriel.

If Jimbo wants to bring in size and toughness, who’d you want?

But that's literally all he brings. He's a one dimensional player. The way of the goon is dead. I'm sorry but this sort of player in the NHL is starting to become obsolete. 

I'd way rather see the Canucks take a stab at Anders Lee. 6'1, 231lbs, he's at least big and can score goals. 

5 minutes ago, Jaku said:

But that's literally all he brings. He's a one dimensional player. The way of the goon is dead. I'm sorry but this sort of player in the NHL is starting to become obsolete. 

I'd way rather see the Canucks take a stab at Anders Lee. 6'1, 231lbs, he's at least big and can score goals. 

It’s true he’s one dimensional but I’m okay with that. I like players that specialize in something.  Give them a role and let them excel in it.  For example, Markus Granlund.  Granlund is a better hockey player than Gabriel but Granny doesn’t specialize or excel in any single facet of the game whereas Gabriel does.  It’s my opinion that a tough guy does more than just fight. They also police. They open up ice.  Smaller players sometimes tend to play bigger if they know they have reinforcement.  Also a player like Gabriel fills an important and difficult role for relatively cheap $ and term.

Anders Lee is a fine player but you’ll have to fork over $ and term to acquire and/or retain.  I’d rather put that $ and term to a higher end player if one should become available.

If it's an enforcer you want, you're after the wrong Kurtis.  You want Kurtis MacDermid from the Kings' system.  i don't know anything about his contract status, but I do know that he's the best fighter outside the NHL right now, hands down (with Stu Bickel being a close second).  Just watch some of his HockeyFights videos.  Unfortunately though, players like him (and Kurtis Gabriel) just don't have a place in today's NHL.

Gabriel doesn't bring anything to the table other than fighting or taking bad penalties. He is an incredibly bad player at the NHL level. His toughness could be easily replaced by somebody who can actually put in a regular shift, because, we have to be honest, how much of an impact does being a fighting deterrent have anymore anyway?

3 hours ago, Jaku said:

Yes to Anders Lee!:towel:

Lee is their captain, a solid 30-40 goal scorer and in his absolute prime.

He's going to be offered a 7-8million/5-7 year contract WITH all the clauses he wants by the Isles imo. 

He's one of the better power forwards in the game right now and he aint signing for cheap. 

He'll need protecting if he signs anywhere so there goes one young player you won't be able to keep during expansion draft. 

He's good, but is he that good? 

42 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Lee is their captain, a solid 30-40 goal scorer and in his absolute prime.

He's going to be offered a 7-8million/5-7 year contract WITH all the clauses he wants by the Isles imo. 

He's one of the better power forwards in the game right now and he aint signing for cheap. 

He'll need protecting if he signs anywhere so there goes one young player you won't be able to keep during expansion draft. 

He's good, but is he that good? 

I’d say so. Good for high 20s in goals at least, generally a 50 point player. He tightened up his defensive play massively this season and still scored nearly 30 goals and with Tavares leaving. I’d say he’ll go around the 7mil mark. Although Skinner got 9mil so who really knows? I’d take him at 7mil even if we had to protect him.

12 hours ago, Jaku said:

Goon's are already all gone, they already are obsolete, not just starting. He is a 3rd round pick who is still being given an opportunities. If that was all he had he would've been permanently buried in the ECHL/AHL by now. 

12 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

If it's an enforcer you want, you're after the wrong Kurtis.  You want Kurtis MacDermid from the Kings' system.  i don't know anything about his contract status, but I do know that he's the best fighter outside the NHL right now, hands down (with Stu Bickel being a close second).  Just watch some of his HockeyFights videos.  Unfortunately though, players like him (and Kurtis Gabriel) just don't have a place in today's NHL.

ONE of the best. The AHL pound for pound title goes to Brett Gallant. 

1 hour ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Good point.  Pound for pound you're absolutely right.  I would have loved to see Gallant go with Rypien -- not sure who'd have won that that one.  Two very similar players.

Gallant was able to take out some very established heavy weights on a few of his call ups. Rypien could hang, but with some of the really big boys, like Carkner, he just got rag dollled. Gallant is significantly stockier than Rypien was. Rypien was GENEROUSLY listed at 5'11 and anywhere from 170-184. I personally feel if he was more near 200 he would've been unstoppable. Would've been an amazing fight though. Probably better than what Rypien vs Janssen was.  

Admittedly I haven’t seen a ton of Gabriel BUT when the Devils swung out west for their road trip I couldn’t help but notice Gabriel. I believe he went toe to toe with Lucic in a marathon tilt during Hockey s Night in Canada.  He’s not just a tough guy.  He can do his job on the 4th line.  Get pucks deep, where down their D, get in on forecheck.  No he’s not gonna chip in with 12 goals but he can still contribute.  I’m not convinced the game is void of an enforcer.  Sure Gino days of losing his sweater and shoulder pads are gone but there’s still a spot for a tough guy, at least on my team.  Tom Wilson is the #1 guy I’m talking about here.  Wilson can do it all but he’s also making north of $5m per.  Gabriel is by no means a Tom Wilson BUT outside of scoring he can do everything else Wilson can.  I’ll pay up to 1/5 of Wilson’s contact to get a cheaper version.  I guess the real question here is can MacEwen make the team and fill this void?

18 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

ONE of the best. The AHL pound for pound title goes to Brett Gallant. 

He’s already a legend.  Routinely in the top fight videos for years now in the AHL category, when he got his call-up I was like “here we go!”... I wouldn’t be apposed to signing a guy that’s only job would be to take bad penalties if for no other reason then to send a message, if you take liberties we don’t mind going on a five minute PK just to see whomever did clean his teeth off the ice after.   

Its not a foregone conclusion that EPs going to dominate.  Is he going to be the player we say until Jan?  Or is he going to be the player after that?  That’s a difference over a regular season of either 100 pts or 45 pts.    If he needs a big brother to keep his confidence up to do the things he did early on, then sign someone already.  The enforcer might be gone for the most part (there still is a few , Reave, Thornburn etc) but it doesn’t mean they won’t be back.   All it takes is one team to start the arms race again.  

Also so there is a difference between a goon and an enforcer, enforcers can also play the game like Williams, Nilan, Probert, Domi, Simon, McSorely, Semenko, Peluso etc.  take a regular fourth line shift or third pairing shift and not hurt the team just go out and hit crash and bang etc.  If things get rough then play him more etc.   Some like Tochett and Tornodi even end up valuable players Manson too.  

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] Kurtis Gabriel

Archived