The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Big Bird just won his 10th Stanley Cup

Canucks, please hire the Big Bird - Larry Robinson.

He won the Stanley Cup six times with the Canadiens, in 1973, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, and 1986. Together with Nicklas Lidstrom, Robinson holds the NHL record for most consecutive playoff seasons with 20, 17 of them with the Canadiens.[3][4]

Larry Robinson's name appears on the Stanley Cup ten times, as a player/coach/scout.

Following his retirement, Robinson was hired as an assistant coach with the New Jersey Devils in 1993. After winning the Stanley Cup in 1995 with the Devils, he was hired as head coach of the Los Angeles Kings, the same year he was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. He left the Los Angeles team at the end of the 1998–99 season and signed on as an assistant coach with the New Jersey Devils once again. Named interim head coach of the New Jersey Devils on March 23, 2000, Robinson guided his team to win the 2000 Stanley Cup. He recounted to journalist Scott Morrison:[5]

Considering how long I played hockey and how many Cups I got to win as a defenseman with Montreal, it was my first Stanley Cup win as a head coach that is actually my greatest day in hockey.

He stayed on as head coach for the next year and again guided the Devils to the Stanley Cup finals, where they lost against the Colorado Avalanche in seven games.

Robinson was fired during the 2001–02 season, but returned as an assistant coach just before the 2002–03 season to win his 9th Stanley Cup in 2003.

He is currently a Senior Consultant to Hockey Operations for the St. Louis Blues.

With the St. Louis Blues defeating the Boston Bruins in the 2019 Stanley Cup Finals, Robinson won his tenth Stanley Cup championship.[11]

• Cheers 1

One of my favorite players of all time,LARRY ROBINSON.He played the game right(tough but within the rules and with no cheap shots)and was a superb defense man at both ends of the rink.

Just look how ugly and bad(something out of slapshot the movie) Messier was and the league gave him the leadership trophy in his name,absolutely ridiculous.

Change it to the LARRY ROBINSON LEADERSHIP TROPHY,and I would be happy for a great player who deserves it much more than Mark (THE MESS) Messier.

Th Canucks know how much of a "leader" Mark really was..JUST TERRIBLE!

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, sonoman said:

This is the big bird I want

As said already, Messier is a sack of manure and a coward.  Stecher could probably take him in a fight.

THIS is the Big Bird clip to watch:

He DESTROYS *THE* most feared goon in the league at the time - Dave "The Hammer" Schultz *in Philly*!

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

As said already, Messier is a sack of manure and a coward.  Stecher could probably take him in a fight.

THIS is the Big Bird clip to watch:

He DESTROYS *THE* most feared goon in the league at the time - Dave "The Hammer" Schultz *in Philly*!

This is like WWF meets hockey... Figgin' hilarious!  Definitely nostalgic... 

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, sonoman said:

This is the big bird I want

And this is a big part of the Messier lore ... the time he stood up to Robinson and the big bad Habs, threatening to knock his teeth out if Robinson didn’t stop knocking his teammates around.    Have had the unfortunate pleasure of reading about this several times in several different hockey books,  the writers say it’s a pivotal time in Messiers young career and “leadership” curve, serving notice to the league etc etc blah blah blah.   

The Robinson I want is the one who took his Philly sick team out of the mud by proceeding to beat the crap out of each of their tough guys one by one.  And then went on to spark their dynasty and end their two year reign at the top.  IMO he was one of the best defenseman ever.

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

And this is a big part of the Messier lore ... the time he stood up to Robinson and the big bad Habs, threatening to knock his teeth out if Robinson didn’t stop knocking his teammates around.    Have had the unfortunate pleasure of reading about this several times in several different hockey books,  the writers say it’s a pivotal time in Messiers young career and “leadership” curve, serving notice to the league etc etc blah blah blah.   

The Robinson I want is the one who took his Philly sick team out of the mud by proceeding to beat the crap out of each of their tough guys one by one.  And then went on to spark their dynasty and end their two year reign at the top.  IMO he was one of the best defenseman ever.

Messier was a gutless puke for waving his stick around

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Messier was a gutless puke for waving his stick around

No doubt he really wanted no part of Robinson.  Would have more respect if he fought him instead....yet the history books use this an early example of his leadership and how it helped his team beat a still good MTL team turning point blah blah blah.   Wish Robinson knocked out his teeth.   Even near the end I respected him as a player in LA I believe...one of the real best leaders in hockey .... Messier didn’t stand up to PHI the way he did ...that’s guts.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Yeah, he would be good to get....we already have Doug Jarvis (4 stanley cups) ...reunite to become teammates again and win more cups together but with the Canucks

Would Robinson want to be the President of our team?  

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Would Robinson want to be the President of our team?  

I think he knows what it takes to win....plus he has a good reputation and is well respected, which goes along way in hockey discussions.

21 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

How much do you think Scotty Bowman had in Chicago? ;) 

Who knows?  HockeyDB doesn't track stats for that kind of thing.  I don't have any idea how much impact any senior consultant would have on a team.

All of Robinson's previous nine Cup wins were either as a player or a coach.  Does that translate well to being a consultant?  What does he even consult on?

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] Big Bird just won his 10th Stanley Cup