The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Tampa - Van

Tampa is in a world of hurt, and will need a veteran RHD to help in their pursuit of a Stanley Cup. Let's start with their pearl, Cal Foote, he will be on their team next year, because he is good and because he is an ELC, and they need to keep any additions low. So, no way he is going anywhere.

But, I believe their 2019 -1st is up for grabs, as will any other prospects they have, not named Foote. They absolutely need to get rid of cap, and regardless of any other gossip, Callahan make the most short term sense. He has large salary, 1 year left on his contract, and is 34 years old. IMO he is gone.

Now, we certainly have to be careful, not to fall into a depth crisis at RHD, Tanev at 50% is a solid add for Tampa, and I would question they would get anyone of his calibre, at anywhere near that rate.

Tanev would be worth a kings ransom, if he had a healthy career, but he comes with risk to any team having him, so his value is substantially lower than his "talent Value", never the less, he is a warrior and still a 2/3 Defenseman when playing.

My proposal, is...…...

Tanev 50% (2.20 M) retained for Callahan + 2019 1st, this does not fix Tampa's cap woes, but does reduce them substantially.

Posters on Tampa's board say there is no way Tampa is giving up their 1st, but they loose major assets, if not moving it, Callahan, and other roster assets......

10 minutes ago, Master Higgins said:

Callahan would have to waive to come here as well

Yup. And the tax difference between Tampa and Vancouver would cost Callahan close to $400k if he accepted the trade.  Going from a powerhouse team to one that is mid rebuild.  I doubt he’d waive. 

OK...….not my best....sorry.

So Tampa can not give young assets.....so that is out

Tampa needs a veteran RHD and I don't think there will be too many out there

that will be as cheap as I proposed, so I think Tanev is a good target for them

The question is what do they give us, if the first is not enough......

I want the 1st, but what is it that they can afford to give

Any ideas?

It is 8 Million + Tanev

so maybe a 2019 1st + 2020 3rd????

Does Callahan play an Edler? Or does he move for the team?

11 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Tampa is in a world of hurt, and will need a veteran RHD to help in their pursuit of a Stanley Cup. Let's start with their pearl, Cal Foote, he will be on their team next year, because he is good and because he is an ELC, and they need to keep any additions low. So, no way he is going anywhere.

But, I believe their 2019 -1st is up for grabs, as will any other prospects they have, not named Foote. They absolutely need to get rid of cap, and regardless of any other gossip, Callahan make the most short term sense. He has large salary, 1 year left on his contract, and is 34 years old. IMO he is gone.

Now, we certainly have to be careful, not to fall into a depth crisis at RHD, Tanev at 50% is a solid add for Tampa, and I would question they would get anyone of his calibre, at anywhere near that rate.

Tanev would be worth a kings ransom, if he had a healthy career, but he comes with risk to any team having him, so his value is substantially lower than his "talent Value", never the less, he is a warrior and still a 2/3 Defenseman when playing.

My proposal, is...…...

Tanev 50% (2.20 M) retained for Callahan + 2019 1st, this does not fix Tampa's cap woes, but does reduce them substantially.

Posters on Tampa's board say there is no way Tampa is giving up their 1st, but they loose major assets, if not moving it, Callahan, and other roster assets......

They have JT Miller, Alex Killorn, Tyler Johnson, Ondrei Palat that have value and can be move  1-  without hurting their team, 2- acquiring good asset in return (pick or cheaper players), 3- without losing their 1st.

I think the type of deal your proposing is not farfetched....I just think they if they are going to trade their 1st, they'll bring back a higher profile player than Tanev, and on that is not injury prone, but he will likely be a pending UFA or close.

57 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

They have JT Miller, Alex Killorn, Tyler Johnson, Ondrei Palat that have value and can be move  1-  without hurting their team, 2- acquiring good asset in return (pick or cheaper players), 3- without losing their 1st.

I think the type of deal your proposing is not farfetched....I just think they if they are going to trade their 1st, they'll bring back a higher profile player than Tanev, and on that is not injury prone, but he will likely be a pending UFA or close.

I appreciate how you worded that Timber21

my confusion isn't that Tampa can not move those other guys, but that moving them weakens the team, Now, their team is deeper and they may be able to withstand the loss of 1 player, but I think it weakens them......moving Callahan does not. I just don't see it, unless they are willing to move some of their remaining prospects, or they are willing to take lesser value back. 

In saying all that, I am sure Tampa GM has a plan, and it is much better than mine...…..we shall see

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] Tampa - Van