The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Nik Ehlers may be on the move.

Jaku

Kind of ironic that when Winnipeg says they want to 'win now' - they then look immediately at who they can get rid of in order to win now and it's Ehlers.   I know there's other factors in play but it's not a ringing endorsement of this player imo.  

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Kind of ironic that when Winnipeg says they want to 'win now' - they then look immediately at who they can get rid of in order to win now and it's Ehlers.   I know there's other factors in play but it's not a ringing endorsement of this player imo.  

Not really it shows how deep they are are the winger position and how badly Trouba wanted out.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

This one is obvious.

Ehlers hasn't scored a goal in 21 playoff games. And in this postseason, didn't even have a point in 6 games.

32 minutes ago, Gäz said:

If they could get one of Faulk, Hamilton, or Pesce I'd be pretty happy as a Jets fan. Ehler's stock has gotta be dropping tho, after his playoff disappearances.

I don't see Ehlers fitting with the style of straight line, and hard on and off pucks (playing the right way) that Brindamour demands of his players.  This sounds like a rumor started by the Jets (who are clearly wanting to dump Ehlers and his contract) to create a market.  6 times 6 is a lot of a guy who doesn't get involved, and is strictly a regular season, perimeter player.  Maybe the Canes would be involved in a three way deal they dump Ehlers on another team for a player they actually want?  

The Jets are much higher on Kyle Connor than Ehlers, and Connor has passed him on the depth chart. He’ll cost about $8M to extend long term, so Ehlers is the odd man out. More importantly, Ehlers contract is still an extreme bargain at $6M per, so the fact that Carolina (and other teams have been calling), is not shocking.

Long story short, trading Ehlers makes sense, for them. And they can certainly address their 2nd pair with him as the primary.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Gäz said:

If they could get one of Faulk, Hamilton, or Pesce I'd be pretty happy as a Jets fan. Ehler's stock has gotta be dropping tho, after his playoff disappearances.

Ehlers lost a month due to 'upper body' injury and then broke his ankle in late April.  He actually played in the playoffs with a broken ankle!

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/jets-nikolaj-ehlers-injury-comes-to-light/

I think the Jets are in trouble with only 15 players signed (2 of which are Laine/Conner) and now they desperately need to replace Trouba.  Keeping Myers would be the answer, but they don't have the cap to pay him, so they are likely looking for a suitable rd that is still on an elc.

I think Ehlers last season was an anomaly, due to the two injuries.  He is a really good player (far better than Nylander imo) can play lw or rw and has a terrific contract.  The Jets want to be a heavier team, so it's Ehlers that has to go.

They should be more concerned about Laine, who has really regressed and is horrible defensively.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I think Ehlers last season was an anomaly, due to the two injuries.  He is a really good player

People who don’t watch the Jets, or Ehlers regularly, think he’s a one dimensional player, which he certainly isn’t. The guy not only has elite skill and skating, but he’s very reliable defensively.

The reason why the Jets are actually shopping him is because his contract is so attractive to teams looking for a player like him.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Ehlers lost a month due to 'upper body' injury and then broke his ankle in late April.  He actually played in the playoffs with a broken ankle!

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/jets-nikolaj-ehlers-injury-comes-to-light/

I think the Jets are in trouble with only 15 players signed (2 of which are Laine/Conner) and now they desperately need to replace Trouba.  Keeping Myers would be the answer, but they don't have the cap to pay him, so they are likely looking for a suitable rd that is still on an elc.

I think Ehlers last season was an anomaly, due to the two injuries.  He is a really good player (far better than Nylander imo) can play lw or rw and has a terrific contract.  The Jets want to be a heavier team, so it's Ehlers that has to go.

They should be more concerned about Laine, who has really regressed and is horrible defensively.

Right, I forgot about that injury!

Laine has been much more concerning, I do agree. He's got some serious work to put in if he wants to get back the his rookie scoring level (and sharpen his play without the puck).

1 minute ago, Gäz said:

Right, I forgot about that injury!

Laine has been much more concerning, I do agree. He's got some serious work to put in if he wants to get back the his rookie scoring level (and sharpen his play without the puck).

Read here, so likely not true, that Ehlers and Laine (while on the road) would play video games mostly.  Could the Jets be trying to move Ehlers to separate the two?  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Monty said:

I don't know. Never say never, but if one of the reasons teams (and the Jets are shopping Ehlers) is because how friendly his cap hit is, the exact opposite would apply to Laine.

Right now, and probably for the rest of his career, Laine is not a sound player defensively. He's not as bad as people have said, as he was one of the better Jets in the playoffs this year, and was good defensively. However, he doesn't have the speed of an Ehlers to "jet" back into his own zone.

But, even though he'll cost $9M-$10M to extend long term, there's the "It" factor of having a player like him on your club, which is why the Jets will keep him, and also why other teams (regardless of the contract) would also pay through the nose to get him. That other factor, aside from the the obvious ones (ie: shot, PP, goals), is that he puts butts in seats and his name sells jersey's. At the end of the day, only one team wins the Stanley Cup, so the odds aren't in any club's favor that "This will be the year." So GMs knowing that, while wanting to put a competitive enough product on the ice to make it to the playoffs, also know that the season is 82 games long. How to do you get fans to show up to game 51 and buy merchandise, especially when the team isn't firing on all cylinders? I'll tell ya, for years, that's why I've gone to Jets games. Even when they've crapped the bed, I know that at the very least, Byfuglien will do something that will make it worth my money. I'd wager that's why they don't trade Patrik Laine. He does the same thing. You pay attention when he's on the ice, and he'll sell jerseys. As talented as Ehlers is, as responsible as he is defensively, and as nice as his contract is, he doesn't have that "It" factor.

Excellent post Monty.  There is the business side of things, that (in the cap world) have to be factored in.  And I love Big Buff! :wub:  My favorite to watch for sure.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Excellent post Monty.  There is the business side of things, that (in the cap world) have to be factored in.  And I love Big Buff! :wub:  My favorite JET to watch for sure.  I still think EP40 is more exciting though.

sorry just had to fix that a bit for you there

• Haha 2