The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Nik Ehlers may be on the move.

Jaku

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

We’ll see I guess. Team hasn’t made the playoffs yet. But I’m hopeful as you are! Ehlers would be a fine addition to the Canucks. But what would the asking price be? 

If we can move Tanev and a 2nd plus maybe a decent prospect I'd to it, Sautner or Brisbois?

1 minute ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

If we can move Tanev and a 2nd plus maybe a decent prospect I'd to it, Sautner or Brisbois?

But would the jets? Pretty sure that’s probably not enough. 

Edited by N4ZZY

7 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

But would the jets? Pretty sure that’s probably not enough. 

Well what are the Jet's goals? They seem to be needing to shed cap. My guess is, with the move of Trouba they want to re-sign Meyers but don't have the space. Even if they re-sign Myers, they again have RD depth team dream of with Buff/Myers/Tanev and Tanman is only making 4.5 a very reasonable cap hit (savings of 1.5). If they don't re-sign Meyers, they need an affordable righty even more.

2nd gives them juice given Tanev's injury past, and it likely could be conditional on games played,

the dman prospects are both NHL caliber, not star power by any means but 2 guys who clearly can play in the league and cheap depth. Or maybe Goldy who's got offensive upside and could fit in nicely there with their offense, and could help replace Ehlers up front?

Really would depend on what other teams offer up.

Edited by 18W-40C-6W

2 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Well what are the Jet's goals? They seem to be needing to shed cap. My guess is, with the move of Trouba they want to re-sign Meyers but don't have the space. Even if they re-sign Myers, they again have RD depth team dream of with Buff/Myers/Tanev and Tanman is only making 4.5 a very reasonable cap hit (savings of 1.5), 2nd gives them juice given Tanev's injury past likely could make it conditional on games played, the dman prospects are both NHL calibre, not star power by any means but 2 guys who clearly can play in the league and cheap depth.

Really would depend on what other teams offer up.

Yep. It will certainly depend on what other teams are offering. And I’m willing to bet that they can and will offer up better than the Canucks can. IF the Jets accept the offer you’re proposing. I would do that deal in a heartbeat. We don’t lose any of our core players and we add a top six player, who has drive to prove that he can perform in the playoffs. 

I’m just not convinced that Winnipeg does the deal. Would you do the deal if it’s tsnev, 1st and a mid level prospect? Lind? 

Just now, N4ZZY said:

Yep. It will certainly depend on what other teams are offering. And I’m willing to bet that they can and will offer up better than the Canucks can. IF the Jets accept the offer you’re proposing. I would do that deal in a heartbeat. We don’t lose any of our core players and we add a top six player, who has drive to prove that he can perform in the playoffs. 

I’m just not convinced that Winnipeg does the deal. Would you do the deal if it’s tsnev, 1st and a mid level prospect? Lind? 

I'd do Tanev, Goldy and a second. Goldy put up 27 pts in 63 games and had a tough year. If in the right spot, team he could easily hit 40 and with the peg's offensive team he could fit in nicely and help replace some of the lost offense from Ehlers. Tanev is worth alot, we underestimate him. No first, Goldy is worth more than Lind

I really hope we’re in on this. I would offer virtanen + tanev/stecher + 2nd? I know they’re in cap trouble so this would help them out but not sure this would move the needle. Ehlers would massively help reshape the top 6. Off setting the loss of Tanev/stecher with Colin Miller and we’d be in much better shape imo.

Not sure why they’re looking for a RHD.......they just traded for Pionk and have Big Buff on the right side? If anything they should be looking for a LHD, with Morrissey as their only option. Kulikov is a decent number 5 guy, and really shouldn’t be playing top 4 minutes.

I proposed this trade in a Puljujarvi thread, but @Monty said it was a bad deal for Winnipeg. I however thought it was fairly even for both teams, that fills both teams needs. And now that the Trouba trade, it makes even more sense for Winnipeg.

To Winnipeg: Puljujarvi, Klefblom, 3rd

To Edmonton: Ehlers and Roslovic

This trade gives Winnipeg one of the deepest defensive core in the league, with Klefblom, Buff, Morrissey, Pionk, and Kulikov as their top 5 and reunite Laine with Puljujarvi. Also sheds about 2M in cap space for new contracts to Laine and Connor.

12 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Not sure why they’re looking for a RHD.......they just traded for Pionk and have Big Buff on the right side? If anything they should be looking for a LHD, with Morrissey as their only option. Kulikov is a decent number 5 guy, and really shouldn’t be playing top 4 minutes.

I proposed this trade in a Puljujarvi thread, but @Monty said it was a bad deal for Winnipeg. I however thought it was fairly even for both teams, that fills both teams needs. And now that the Trouba trade, it makes even more sense for Winnipeg.

To Winnipeg: Puljujarvi, Klefblom, 3rd

To Edmonton: Ehlers and Roslovic

This trade gives Winnipeg one of the deepest defensive core in the league, with Klefblom, Buff, Morrissey, Pionk, and Kulikov as their top 5 and reunite Laine with Puljujarvi. Also sheds about 2M in cap space for new contracts to Laine and Connor.

WPG just traded Trouba to NYR.

WPG might have made the decision not to re-sign Myers.

Even though they added Pionk to their roster they would have to add another RHD to the team to compensate for the loss of Trouba and Myers.

Trade would make sense for both:

WPG get a RHD in Hamilton

CAR  get more scoring with Ehlers.

14 hours ago, Gäz said:

If they could get one of Faulk, Hamilton, or Pesce I'd be pretty happy as a Jets fan. Ehler's stock has gotta be dropping tho, after his playoff disappearances.

I have read that Hamilton is available and Faulk + 'Pesce being not available.

13 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Ehlers lost a month due to 'upper body' injury and then broke his ankle in late April.  He actually played in the playoffs with a broken ankle!

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/jets-nikolaj-ehlers-injury-comes-to-light/

I think the Jets are in trouble with only 15 players signed (2 of which are Laine/Conner) and now they desperately need to replace Trouba.  Keeping Myers would be the answer, but they don't have the cap to pay him, so they are likely looking for a suitable rd that is still on an elc.

I think Ehlers last season was an anomaly, due to the two injuries.  He is a really good player (far better than Nylander imo) can play lw or rw and has a terrific contract.  The Jets want to be a heavier team, so it's Ehlers that has to go.

They should be more concerned about Laine, who has really regressed and is horrible defensively.

Wish we could make a play for ehlers... would fit in perfectly on either of our two top lines. And doesn’t cost a fortune...

52 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

WPG just traded Trouba to NYR.

WPG might have made the decision not to re-sign Myers.

Even though they added Pionk to their roster they would have to add another RHD to the team to compensate for the loss of Trouba and Myers.

Trade would make sense for both:

WPG get a RHD in Hamilton

CAR  get more scoring with Ehlers.

Pionk and Byfuglien are their RHD.

Morrissey - Byfuglien

Klefbom - Pionk

That’s a pretty formidable top 4, that can give Nashville a run for the best top 4 in the league.

Yeah, lets give up a high draft pick, a really good prospect (Juolevi) or/and Jake Virtanen for Nik Ehlers and his 0 career playoff goals. He is definitely not what this club needs going forwards. Canucks need to beef up and get tougher if they want to survive playoff series in the future. That’s what people don’t get that the Canucks are the softest team in the league and teams know they can take liberties with Petersson cause nobody gonna do jack sh*t. Ehlers is soft as charmin and not worth the price. 

Edited by Pickly

23 hours ago, Monty said:

People who don’t watch the Jets, or Ehlers regularly, think he’s a one dimensional player, which he certainly isn’t. The guy not only has elite skill and skating, but he’s very reliable defensively.

The reason why the Jets are actually shopping him is because his contract is so attractive to teams looking for a player like him.

I agree Monty but if I were Chevy I might try to move Laine for a dman.

People that talk about cap issues need to understand this is what happens when you draft well and players get paid. Certainly not the worst thing in the world especially when Winnipeg is so deep and has players ready to jump right it.