The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks should go slow on the trade front (discussion)

With all the trades happening and the draft and UFA market just around the corner, I feel the Canucks need to be cautious in their trades, and slow down their urgency......scares the crap out of me. I am not saying, that Benning should not explore, and I am not saying not to trade, but any of our picks or young assets, should be held onto.

I am not opposed to some of the trades I have heard where we obtain assets, such as 

Tanev@50% to Toronto for Zaitsev + 2019 2nd

or

a pure cap dump, where we take on cap for a pick and a 1 year UFA player

Other than those type of trades, I would like Benning to use a UFA signing to fill in, and stay the course

IMO, Edler will sign with us (Good!) and with Hughes playing a regular shift, I think our LHD will be fine

the addition of Stralman would be a good stop gap, and improve our RHD side.

Personally, I think, our cap space will show, in the next couple of weeks, and we will be able to make a solid

lateral trade, where our cap space + a player, will be traded for a better player

My Moto is "Build through the draft", and am hoping for 1 more late 1st or an early second,

I think we can do that without hurting the team

• Like 1

If Edler is leaving, we're going to need Tanev more than ever. That being said, I also have a hard time seeing Toronto giving a pick along with a player like Zaitsev and not getting anything in return, which I've seen a lot of trade on on this forum.

I think with 29 other teams in this league and a defense free agent pool that's starting to look more shallow than my nephew's inflatable pool, there might actually be competition for Zaitsev. This is of course speculation, but there are a number of teams looking to bolster their blueline so we're going to have some competition.

Okay, this is a repost of a post I did in another thread, but I think its relevant in here as well

----------------------------------------------------------

I think that, until the cap for next year is announced, teams are going to be cautious in what they do.

There's a growing consensus that the cap isn't going to rise to 83 as expected and one of the writers over at Sportsnet just did an interesting read on it, see link below:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/three-reasons-nhl-salary-cap-get-tighter/

If he's right, and I've kind of had a feeling that they have been pushing it up faster than it really should be.

His take is interesting in that players are trying to reduce Escrow and potentially eliminate it, but that won't happen if it keeps growing at this rate.

Now, for Canucks fans. If the cap only went up to say 81.5 or 82 million instead of the 83 million that was projected, from a salary management standpoint, it really means very little. Now, for teams like Vegas, Pittsburgh, Tampa and Toronto, it would make a bad situation, much worse. 1.5 million might not sound like much in the NHL, but when you're Toronto and you have 17 guys under contract for next year, already down to a projected 8.8 million in space to work with and one of the guys you have to sign is Marner who isn't likely to sign for less than 11 million, you're in trouble if that number comes in south of 83. Even if they find someone to take Horton off their hands, (which they will), and someone to take Marleau, (which they will), Cap only going to 82, would still leave them 19.35 to work with and subtracting Marleau means that they would be down to 16 guys under contract. Assuming Marner is 11 million, that leaves them with 8.35 and Kapanen has to be at least 3.5 million of that.

We have cap space, if we're patient, there should be opportunities to exploit that.

Personally, I'd happily take Marleau off their hands for the remaining year on his deal and let Pettersson absorb everything he can from him if we could maybe pry Kapanen free as well?

Maybe something like:

To Vancouver:

Marleau (no hold back on salary)

Kapanen

2020 2nd round pick

To Toronto:

Goldobin

Hutton

2020 4th round pick

Times are going to be tough for some teams if that article is right, we just need to be patient in how we approach things and enjoy the opportunities before things get really tight for us in a few years.

• Upvote 1

Benning might take the stance that not taking on another bad contract is bad.

It is not IF there is a sweetener.

Eriksson for Lucic is NOT a bad deal IF the sweetener is a young prospect from Edmonton, even if he has to retain salary.

Another contract similar to the Beagle, Roussel, Sutter without picks/prospects will screw the team for 3 years.

Getting next picks is really good though.

NYR want to finish their rebuild this year, 2 years total, they might trade away their #2 pick for a couple of so-so pst first round picks, maybe Jake and Olli with a couple late round picks, maybe a little more if necessary. Even if they threw in Stecher or Tanev or .... just not the future core forwards and only if NJ takes Hughes, do it for Kakko then fill in the rest of the draft for big dmen even if they have to play wing in the AHL that didn't hurt Byfuglien or Burns, if anything it made them better.

34 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think we can do that without hurting the team

They lost only 3 fewer games than any of the previous 3 years, how about hurting the fans.

All these stats cover up the fact that the team loses 60% more games than they win or can be looked at as -22 in wins, 35 W (including OT and SO) 47 Loses. A good year for them.

I just can't believe this team has been soooo bad for so long and the way it is it needs to be longer yet otherwise the team is trapped half way for a decade or until another rebuild.

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy

Tanev has been reported to be invovled in potential deal for Risto. Ristolainen is a very solid young d-man. I'd rather see Tanev be moved in a Risto deal than a cap dump trade.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Jaku said:

Tanev has been reported to be invovled in potential deal for Risto. Ristolainen is a very solid young d-man. I'd rather see Tanev be moved in a Risto deal than a cap dump trade.

I don't mind losing Tanev if it means we keep our first round pick. Tanev only plays half the year anyway, and when he went down again last year our guys seemed to play well without him.

11 minutes ago, Ohthehumanity said:

I don't mind losing Tanev if it means we keep our first round pick. Tanev only plays half the year anyway, and when he went down again last year our guys seemed to play well without him.

I also heard it's a 2020 1st as the other piece.

So - 2020 1st, Chris Tanev for Ristolainen.

36 minutes ago, Jaku said:

I also heard it's a 2020 1st as the other piece.

So - 2020 1st, Chris Tanev for Ristolainen.

I like Risto, but that's a lot for him.  Doesn't Tanev have to waive his limited no trade to go to Buffalo?   

3 minutes ago, Stelar said:

not saying you are. Just not going to believe what a guy with 250 followers is "hearing'...

He's involved with thecanuckway. I'm not going to try discredit the guy. He's probably going to be able get info that's not readily available to us. 

Many here have long seen what's coming for squads like the Leaves. They're cap-hooped. The fav sponges who usually mop up such messes(w/sweeteners) are teams like the Yotes, Canes & Avs. Now good young teams that'll need space for their own future headaches.

It's musical chairs, & there aren't many left. To take on a Marleau, I'd demand their 2020 1st. Don't like it?..CHOKE on your rash overspending then!

So yeah, stand firm, & drive a ruthless bargain outa' these self-important chumps!

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Many here have long seen what's coming for squads like the Leaves. They're cap-hooped. The fav sponges who usually mop up such messes(w/sweeteners) are teams like the Yotes, Canes & Avs. Now good young teams that'll need space for their own future headaches.

It's musical chairs, & there aren't many left. To take on a Marleau, I'd demand their 2020 1st. Don't like it?..CHOKE on your rash overspending then!

So yeah, stand firm, & drive a ruthless bargain outa' these self-important chumps!

Except Braun was a cap dump by San Jose and STILL picked up 2 draft picks. He has a cap of almost 4mil.

Zaitsev is a lot younger than Braun. Maybe not as good now but he could be, which is one of his selling points. Don't be surprised if Zaitsev gets similar value as he's only 700k higher than Braun in terms of cap. That's at least my prediction on it anyway.

As far as Mareau goes though, I guess that depends on the market for a vet. Not to mention, Marleau seems to have specific teams he wants to go to.

4 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Except Braun was a cap dump by San Jose and STILL picked up 2 draft picks. He has a cap of almost 4mil.

Zaitsev is a lot younger than Braun. Maybe not as good now but he could be, which is one of his selling points. Don't be surprised if Zaitsev gets similar value as he's only 700k higher than Braun in terms of cap. That's at least my prediction on it anyway.

As far as Mareau goes though, I guess that depends on the market for a vet. Not to mention, Marleau seems to have specific teams he wants to go to.

How often do you see key US markets crunched by the cap? You may well disagree(no prob), but I see a two-tiered riggeddeckleague.

That said, the league prob views Hogtown in a more favourable light. Province of brainwashed, puck-junkies prob boost the league cap 5-10% by themselves. The NY Hindquarters know where their bread is buttered.

23 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

How often do you see key US markets crunched by the cap? You may well disagree(no prob), but I see a two-tiered riggeddeckleague.

That said, the league prob views Hogtown in a more favourable light. Province of brainwashed, puck-junkies prob boost the league cap 5-10% by themselves. The NY Hindquarters know where their bread is buttered.

Yeah, I definitely don't have quite that extent of paranoia. There are fans from literally all 31 teams who claim rigging goes on that goes against their own team and I just don't care to be a part of that mindset. lol

The only thing in my mind going against what I said earlier is the cap being potentially less than what was expected, but the Braun trade really shows that there are teams willing to take cap hits that also want defenders despite the cap.

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Yeah, I definitely don't have quite that extent of paranoia. There are fans from literally all 31 teams who claim rigging goes on that goes against their own team and I just don't care to be a part of that mindset. lol

The only thing in my mind going against what I said earlier is the cap being potentially less than what was expected, but the Braun trade really shows that there are teams willing to take cap hits that also want defenders despite the cap.

With 5 yrs/22.5 mill I guess Zaitsev will be a mighty tough sell. Either way, time will reveal, & it's nothing to lose sleep over(except perhaps for Hogtown-diehards).