The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal - Weaponize the Cap space (VGK, EDM, ANA)

We have to weaponize the cap space. We do not have the assets to make the necessary trades to acquire much needed personnel to fill holes. I think the following trades accomplish this. You could package the acquired 2nd rounder's (see below) to try and get another 1st somehow but likely in the 21-30 range or package to get a top4 d/top6 f.

Chris Tanev (50%) to VGK - Clarkson, 17thOA to VAN

VGK in some deep doodoo with the cap. Currently at 83.1m with Karlsson a RFA. They save 3.25million in cap here.

Sutter (50%) to ANA - 39thOA to VAN

Anaheim is looking for an affordable 3C to allow Rakell to move up to the wing with Henrique. Sutter at 2.19mill is worth that 2nd in this case. Hayes got paid 7m as 2c/3c. Maybe we throw in a prospect/pick and get their 29thOA instead. This is the least likely to happen as they could go UFA but not sure they want to pay that kind of money for a 3C.

Goldobin to EDM - Lucic, Pujuljarvi, 38thOA to VAN

Edmonton frees up 6 million in cap space, pick up a offensive winger project in Goldobin and most importantly hang onto their 8th. Canucks get Pool and 2nd.

We pick up 9-10 million in cap space this year. Clarkson off the books next year. Eriksson hopefully traded post July 1, Sutter off the books in two years. Tanev traded. Schaller, Granlund, Spooner, Baertschi all moved as well. Even w/ Lucic we will have the needed cap space to sign Boeser, Pettersson and Hughes. Just cant go crazy in the UFA market.

Draft Day 

10th - Iunno take anyone (forward)  

17th - Seider

38th - Foote

39th - Thompson

40th - Korczak

Sign Jake Gardiner

Sign Brett Connoly

• Upvote 2

i get it

it's not your money

so yeah it's a fine tactic

so far nuck management has never adopted this approach

as i think aquaman prefers to not take money out of his pocket

to support this strategy

just sounds good in theory to a fan

there are other ways to build assets

34 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

We have to weaponize the cap space.

No we don't.

We can just as easily stay the course and build through the draft. 

It takes one thing, and one thing only - patience

We're close, just let the plan unfold people. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i get it

it's not your money

so yeah it's a fine tactic

so far nuck management has never adopted this approach

as i think aquaman prefers to not take money out of his pocket

to support this strategy

just sounds good in theory to a fan

there are other ways to build assets

I don't believe the nucks have ever had the opportunity to adopt this approach. We had aging vets for the last few seasons that weve slowly moved off of.

Aquilini was okay sending Gagner to the minors and allowing Schaller and Del Zotto to sit in the press box. Im sure they realize that if the assets aren't available from a personnel perspective, than the financial resources are good as any to try and accomplish the same goal.

There may be other ways to build assets but its either a slower approach or one that isn't a viable option for the Canucks.

45 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

Pretty sure Anaheim didn’t buy out an overpaid, injury prone player just to take on another. And Sutter is definitely not returning a high 2nd round pick by himself.

There was talk on Sportsnet 650 that the asking price would be the 29thOA but its likely Anaheim parts with their 2nd and holds onto their 1st round pick. I based the proposal on what I heard from the media.

29 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

No we don't.

We can just as easily stay the course and build through the draft. 

It takes one thing, and one thing only - patience

We're close, just let the plan unfold people. 

Im all for being patience, just not sure management and the ownership group are. From a fans perspective, its easy to say stay the course, etc. But staying the course affects managements jobs and ownerships revenues. These have to be taken into account. There is a reason that Vancouver is being linked to free agents, trade scenarios, moving up in the draft, etc.

29 minutes ago, Baer. said:

10+M in cap space is not worth a late 1st and a couple 2nds.

its 10 million for this season only. Next season it drops to 4 to 4.5. We have other players we can move off of to regain some of that additional space.

Would you hold true to that statement if these 1st/2nd rounders become impact players for us in the future?

Edited by Seannnp

25 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

I don't believe the nucks have ever had the opportunity to adopt this approach. We had aging vets for the last few seasons that weve slowly moved off of.

Aquilini was okay sending Gagner to the minors and allowing Schaller and Del Zotto to sit in the press box. Im sure they realize that if the assets aren't available from a personnel perspective, than the financial resources are good as any to try and accomplish the same goal.

There may be other ways to build assets but its either a slower approach or one that isn't a viable option for the Canucks.

i appreciate you wish to simply support the position you initially posted

go review salary cap room the canucks have had in recent seasons

and then tell me how the first sentence of your post i have quote above is credible

i decided to save you a bit of work

2016/2017 season - $5,460,744 unused cap

2017/2018 season - $3,753,705 unused cap

2018/2019 season - $6,779,472 unused cap

and yes, aquaman clearly is prepared to deal with the cost of his management's mistakes

and move an unproducing player off the team roster (gagner) at his cost

that does not mean he is prepared to take on the cost of another team's player mistakes

but, whether you accept this or not, every team has players sitting in the press box

usually 2 each and every game

that is the nature of having a roster size bigger then then number of players permitted to dress for a game

the nucks for stretches chose to sit the same player

but that sitting phenomena occurs every game for every team

it adds nothing to support your view of things

Edited by coastal.view

12 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i appreciate you wish to simply support the position you initially posted

go review salary cap room the canucks have had in recent seasons

and then tell me how the first sentence of your post i have quote above is credible

i decided to save you a bit of work

2016/2017 season - $5,460,744 unused cap

2017/2018 season - $3,753,705 unused cap

2018/2019 season - $6,779,472 unused cap

and yes, aquaman clearly is prepared to deal with the cost of his management's mistakes

and move an unproducing player off the team roster (gagner) at his cost

that does not mean he is prepared to take on the cost of another team's player mistakes

but, whether you accept this or not, every team has players sitting in the press box

usually 2 each and every game

that is the nature of having a roster size bigger then then number of players permitted to dress for a game

the nucks for stretches chose to sit the same player

but that sitting phenomena occurs every game for every team

it adds nothing to support your view of things

Ok...so how do you propose we fill in all the necessary holes to begin competing? Keep drafting in the top 10 for the next 4 years?

Do you want to give up Pettersson, Hughes, Horvat, Boeser, Virtanen, Juolevi or even Woo? Likely not, I know I don't. So how do we add to our roster without giving up anything?

We have nothing to give, yet need to plug in a few holes in our lineup. The assets we currently have don't bring in players that will help us compete. Im trying to obtain assets with the one thing we do have...a rich owner. Him spending 10 million this year and helping the team make it to the playoffs 2 years from now instead of 4 = playoff revenues.

We either spend 10-15 million in free agency for longer term players or take on 10-15 million in cap for 1-2 years, obtain prospects that will be cost controlled and can help out the team in 1-2 years which will offset the cap expense through playoff revenue.

I would urge you to look at this from a business perspective as well.

1 hour ago, Seannnp said:

We have to weaponize the cap space. We do not have the assets to make the necessary trades to acquire much needed personnel to fill holes. I think the following trades accomplish this. You could package the acquired 2nd rounder's (see below) to try and get another 1st somehow but likely in the 21-30 range or package to get a top4 d/top6 f.

VGK in some deep doodoo with the cap. Currently at 83.1m with Karlsson a RFA. They save 3.25million in cap here.

Anaheim is looking for an affordable 3C to allow Rakell to move up to the wing with Henrique. Sutter at 2.19mill is worth that 2nd in this case. Hayes got paid 7m as 2c/3c. Maybe we throw in a prospect/pick and get their 29thOA instead. This is the least likely to happen as they could go UFA but not sure they want to pay that kind of money for a 3C.

Edmonton frees up 6 million in cap space, pick up a offensive winger project in Goldobin and most importantly hang onto their 8th. Canucks get Pool and 2nd.

We pick up 9-10 million in cap space this year. Clarkson off the books next year. Eriksson hopefully traded post July 1, Sutter off the books in two years. Tanev traded. Schaller, Granlund, Spooner, Baertschi all moved as well. Even w/ Lucic we will have the needed cap space to sign Boeser, Pettersson and Hughes. Just cant go crazy in the UFA market.

Draft Day 

17th - Seider

38th - Foote

39th - Thompson

40th - Korczak

Sign Jake Gardiner

Sign Brett Connoly

Good job...….

I would love most of this to happen (not Lucic, sorry!)

But, I have posted many post like this

Mostly just dreaming....but I do find one of your proposals interesting

Your, Tanev 50% to Vegas for Clarkson + 17 OA, is a great place to start...……..

How about Tanev 50% + Vancouver's 2020 2nd for Clarkson + 17th OA + Miller

This clears 9 Million - Tanev 50% ( 2.2M) = 6.8M cleared + Tanev @ 50%  

I think that is a good move for Vegas, as they have to clear (probably another 3 Million)

This move does not weaken Vegas 1 iota, and most of this cap is gone in a year

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

Ok...so how do you propose we fill in all the necessary holes to begin competing? Keep drafting in the top 10 for the next 4 years?

Do you want to give up Pettersson, Hughes, Horvat, Boeser, Virtanen, Juolevi or even Woo? Likely not, I know I don't. So how do we add to our roster without giving up anything?

We have nothing to give, yet need to plug in a few holes in our lineup. The assets we currently have don't bring in players that will help us compete. Im trying to obtain assets with the one thing we do have...a rich owner. Him spending 10 million this year and helping the team make it to the playoffs 2 years from now instead of 4 = playoff revenues.

We either spend 10-15 million in free agency for longer term players or take on 10-15 million in cap for 1-2 years, obtain prospects that will be cost controlled and can help out the team in 1-2 years which will offset the cap expense through playoff revenue.

Oh, silly Seannnp

Coastal View does not propose trades

He is here to knock everyone else's trade proposals

This is life, this is how it works

This is CDC

Keep writing! Yours are as good as anyone elses……….Benning doesn't phone any of us...…….including Coastal

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Seannnp said:

Draft Day 

17th - Seider

38th - Foote

39th - Thompson

40th - Korczak

Sign Jake Gardiner

Sign Brett Connoly

Drafting 3 Kelowna Rockets in a row? ............. I’m ok with that.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

How about Tanev 50% + Vancouver's 2020 2nd for Clarkson + 17th OA + Miller

That would be a great trade.  Get a younger RH defenseman and upgrade draft picks by taking on a contract.  Is Clarkson insured?  If so, it wouldn't even cost us money, just cap space.  Seems like a win all the way around, as long as Vegas likes Tanev, and if Tanev can stay healthy.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Seannnp said:

Agreed.  CDC freaks out if you ever suggest trading valuable assets, but also says that we shouldn't take on bad contracts.  That's why the typical Raymond, Ballard and a 3rd proposals are suggested.

If I was Benning, I'd definitely approach ownership to see if we could spend up to the cap for the next two years in order to get extra prospects.  The key piece if I was Benning is that I'd avoid any bad contracts that are longer than two more years.  So no Lucic.  It's long-term that will hurt us, when we need to start re-signing young players, and want to sign free agents, and likely have a Luongo recapture penalty.  It also gives us flexibility with the Seattle expansion draft rather than being stuck keeping guys like Lucic.  A trade like Clarkson makes sense if we get value along with them.

Edited by underrated
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Seannnp said:

jb is doing a fine job

you simply do not wish to be patient and let the process unfold

that's on you

let aquaman keep his own money in his own pocket

and you work on controlling your need to weaponize other people's cash

:P

Edited by coastal.view

6 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

jb is doing a fine job

you simply do not wish to be patient and let the process unfold

that's on you

let aquaman keep his own money in his own pocket

and you work on controlling your need to weaponize other people's cash

Oh, Silly Coastal

These are CDC forums, where we are allowed to make suggestions, that is the entire point

Aka...……….Discussion/proposals, etc

by the way...……...it is our money he plays with, through parking, ticket sales, merchandizing, TV programing, and Beer!

I think he is pretty happy to have an active fan base...…...Don't you think?

Just now, janisahockeynut said:

Oh, Silly Coastal

These are CDC forums, where we are allowed to make suggestions, that is the entire point

Aka...……….Discussion/proposals, etc

by the way...……...it is our money he plays with, through parking, ticket sales, merchandizing, TV programing, and Beer!

I think he is pretty happy to have an active fan base...…...Don't you think?

and i can make any response i wish to suggestions

and if you give aquaman your money

he does not afterwards consult with you how he spends it

he simply has to deliver a quality product if he wants repeat business

and of course he wants an active fan base

cuz that is was what the business of sports is all about

it has religious type qualities to it

which is why these businesses are such huge money makers

and can have unbelievable upsides to them

just look at mlse

when is the last time toronto was able to get 2 million people to amass for anything?

it just happened in relation to sport

it's rather amazing