The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] - Re-signing Edler to Canucks

We got the best UFA dman available.

great contract. term is decent. cap is much better than I would've imagined. He likely would've got 6.5-7 on the open market. No NMC in the last year allowing him to be exposed in the expansion.

Credit to JB for not giving in and remaining steadfast in his position.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I also think Edler is better than both those two players as of right now.

Canucks could still be chasing at least one of those two players and could also be active in the trade market.  At the very least, Edler is a veteran D who can eat him up hard minutes when he's healthy and contribute on offense as well.  He shouldn't be relied on as the #1D anymore which is what I think the Canucks will try to address this summer.  While the Canucks need to give Hughes and Juolevi solid PT this coming season, they also need more solid options to surround them.  Re-signing Edler at a reasonable rate helps immensely with that.

10 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I would be over the moon with this. May as will start constructing the Benning statue.

Nah, Edler is the guy that deserves the statue.  What did Benning give up?   Edler left money on the table and no protection clause that would have expansion consequences.

This is what you call a loyal employee.    He wants to be here and had all the leverage yet gave Benning a break here.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Even cheaper than I thought! ::D 

Welcome back Eagle!:towel:

CDC you should be ashamed of yourselves :P Bunch of panicky Paulina's. 

That is very good news. What are the odds Seattle takes him anyways at 36? I think it's unlikely unless they plan on dealing him as a rental.

Smooth move Jim. I Love it!