The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] - Re-signing Edler to Canucks

I'm totally fine with this as long as Tanev is traded and they get a young right handed Dman to complement Edler.  This also opens up the possibility of a Hutton trade.  I can see Hutton being moved at the draft.  Maybe he is part of the package to move up to get Byram.

If Benning can get Tryamkin to come back a year early and we can move up in the draft to get Byram then Benning should be rewarded with a contract extension.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I’m glad it’s edler and not Myers or bogosian or zaitsev.

that said.  We still signed a guy that plays 60 or less games and our d still sucks.

what we need is a mad scientist to construct a giant  D man out of swedish meatballs

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'm totally fine with this as long as Tanev is traded and they get a young right handed Dman to complement Edler.  This also opens up the possibility of a Hutton trade.  I can see Hutton being moved at the draft.  Maybe he is part of the package to move up to get Byram.

If Benning can get Tryamkin to come back a year early and we can move up in the draft to get Byram then Benning should be rewarded with a contract extension.

Naah, only if he can turn water in to wine too ;)

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

If Eddy signs for 5.5 that's at least 2 mil below market value. Doesn't matter if it's 3 or 4 years, it's still a bargain. To give up that money and the NMC for the expansion draft (although I think they have a plan for how Eddy won't be selected) is just a sign of unbelievable character. Thanks GMJB, but most of all thanks Eddy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, J-P said:

As expected then, but still really good news if it happens ;-)

54 minutes ago, Provost said:

3 years between $5-5.5 no NMC in 3rd year is what is now reported.

That would be a crazy good deal.

52 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Fantastic! So glad to have eagle back. This is best case, huge win.

Yes, great news that Edler has re-signed. If the Canucks had tried to "replace" him in free agency, they would have paid more for a guy who is probably not as good.

I never understood the knock that Edler is "too old" to get a 3-year deal. He is 33. The two favorites for the Norris Trophy tonight are Burns (34) and Giordino (35), both older than Edler. Unlike forwards, D-men often hold their peak up to 34 or 35 and even at age 36, guys like Burns, Giordino and Edler will still be pretty good.

If the money is accurate (5.5 million cap hit for the three year deal) that is a bargain. Edler is definitely leaving money on the table. I was thinking that, in free agency, he would probably get at least 6 x 3, maybe 6.5 x 3, or maybe 5.5 x 4.

Anyway, this is best move the Canucks are likely to make in free agency.

I think the only real sticking point was the NMC. The Canucks could not guarantee to protect Edler in the draft as it would very likely likely cost them a good D. So it is good that got settled.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, nuck-lifer said:

Whoa... 5- 5.5 or 3 year modified NMC.

Canucks fans are indebted to the Eagle if this is sealed for tomorrow!

That's a steal and now we have some room to work in a Tanev upgrade or just another RD UFA easily!

https://canucksarmy.com/2019/06/19/canucks-re-sign-edler-to-three-year-deal/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Can always count on CanuckSmarmy to be eager to make public spectacles of themselves.  Even they admit it's just "reports" and not a done deal, but still they formulate the title to say it is.  They're so used to apologizing and backtracking for being wrong it's no big deal apparently.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Which is scary considering our lack of assets.

We have some movable assets and perhaps more importantly, cap space.

Probably nothing to acquire a top pair D but top 4....? I think that's do-able.

If this is true, then it seems JB has learned a few things about what it takes to be a successful GM in the NHL.  Lately, he seems to be trending in a direction of building through the draft rather than through FA or trades; although, I hope because FA is just beggining.  

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Can always count on CanuckSmarmy to be eager to make public spectacles of themselves.  Even they admit it's just "reports" and not a done deal, but still they formulate the title to say it is.  They're so used to apologizing and backtracking for being wrong it's no big deal apparently.

I know. I have questioned their ethics as this was already report but not substantiated so they jumped on it. Thus the "if" its done for tomorrow. haha

Just now, ShawnAntoski said:

If this is true, then it seems JB has learned a few things about what it takes to be a successful GM in the NHL.  Lately, he seems to be trending in a direction of building through the draft rather than through FA or trades; although, I hope because FA is just beggining.  

:rolleyes: