The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] My road to the cup

This year:

To Vancouver

Marleau, Kapanen, Kadri

To Toronto

Goldobin, Sutter (50%), Gaudette, 2020 2nd.

Toronto solves their cap woes in a big way and gains much needed center depth. Yes it hurts us to give up two strong prospects but thats all they are... prospects. And yes, I hate Kadri too but there is no denying what he can bring.

To Knights

Tanev (50%), 2020 3rd, Lind

To Canucks

Miller

Can we retain on 2 contracts?  Knights save a bit of cap, get a solid shutdown guy for cheap, and assets.

Then we sign Lee if possible, and Granlund.

Season after next:

Lee Petey Boeser

Baer Bo Kapanen

Pearson Kadri Virtanen

Granlund Beagle Roussel

Edler Miller

Hughes Tryamkin

Juolevi Stecher

I feel that we are so reluctant to give up picks for two reasons.  1 - Benning drafts well and 2 - building teams arent supposed to give up picks.

I would argue that the lineup above is a cup contender, and we can afford to add in order to receive quality.

I think we would get a big boost overall by having 3 defensive pairings who finally can contribute from the back end, and each pairing has one bigger guy, one smaller guy.  Balanced.

I feel the top two lines are a great balance of skill and mixed size, the third would be horrible to play against and still contribute, and a very solid 4th line.

Flame away.

handful of questions come to mind...

1/ where in the line up are Marleau, Eriksson, Motte, Schaller, Spooner? 

2/ is Edler / Miller actually a contending first pair D? 

3/ after this latest playoff suspension, is Kadri going to be forced to change his game to the point of lacking confidence and /or effectiveness? 

4/ as per question #1, Canucks have an estimated $30 mill cap space this year, plus losing Sutter, Tanev & Gaudette brings it to let's say 40.. Add Marleau 6.25, Kadri 4.5, Miller 3.875, and guessing Boeser 7.5, Edler 6, Lee 6, Kapanen 5, Tryamkin 3.5 plus Tanev & Sutter 50% makes 47+.. doesn't work this year, and even losing Marleau next year won't leave room to resign Marky, not to mention raises for Hughes and Pettersson when that comes up.. I'm likely missing more numbers, but my point is, unless we're moving out big contracts, it won't work.. 

7 hours ago, Glug Datt said:

handful of questions come to mind...

1- Gone.  Traded for late picks or free, waived to the minors or bought out.  Eriksson is the biggest problem out of the bunch but I feel his would be an attractive option for a cap floor team once his bonus is paid out.

2- I can appreciate this d is lacking star power. Maybe in a couple years Hughes is ready to eat up minutes instead.  Who knows.  But overall, I think this is a solid d who can get points as a group instead of elite (and expensive) options.

3- Valid question, but I don't think he needs to change his entire game.  Perhaps he learned? 

4- Lets do the math for the first year:

Lee Pettersson Boeser 15m

Bear Horvat Marleau 15m

Pearson Kadri Kap 12.5m

Virt Beagle Roussel 7.25

Granlund

49.75m

Edler Miller 9

Hughes Try 4

Juolevi Stech 2

15m

4.5m retained

Marky 4

Demko 1

Total: 74.25m

Now I know my numbers may not be dead on (let me know if I messed up and am way off) but thats well under the cap of 82 or so.  Then the following year with Marleau and Tanev off the books we have room for Petey.

And Alf - how can you say that?  Those top 3 lines should be able to score as good as any in the NHL with a good balance of size as to not get walked on in the playoffs.  No the 4th isnt going to score much but they would primarily get defensive duty. Our d gets bigger and more skilled with at least some ability to score in every pairing.  And a duo of Marky and Demko -could- be one of the better tandems in 2 years time. I fail to see how this wouldn't be viewed as a contender. It lacks massive star power, sure, but Petey is going to be a star in his own right and we have seen the problems teams face when they are paying guys double digits.

Funny gifs but I have yet to see anyone poke holes at this lineup that makes sense.  I appreciate Glug's questions but I think I covered them all. I truly want to see where you guys think I am going wrong here!

This is a team built for todays NHL. We have a star first line that should be good for some 200-210 points by itself, a 2nd line that is basically a 1a line probably good for some 180-190 points, a 3rd line that should be able to score 120-130 and be brutal to play against as well, and a 4th who would probably only score 70-80 but would primarily be for dzone starts and should provide strong defensive play.  Most of these lines and point predictions are based on current levels of play.  They could and probably will largely get even better with experience.

We also have security in solid backups like Leivo and Schenn, and young guys coming through the pipe to help fill inevitable injury holes.  Unlike the recent days of inserting true AHL class players in due to lack of depth.

We have 3 defensive pairings which should all put up points from the back end - even if we lack a high priced star back. As a group - possibly our most skilled and highest scoring blue line ever depending on Hughes' ceiling. Plus we have Tryamkin to lay the other team out - particularly invaluable come playoff time to make up for being the only guy who can barely score from back there.

All lines have enough mix of size to not get walked on come playoff time and could actually be quite hard to play against.

Marky looked great last season though I know we may only be able to keep one of our goalies due to the ED. If we decide to go with Demko we save even more and might even end up with a truly high end goaltender too in a couple years time.

So good forwards, defense, goaltending.  Speed, skill, size. Anything missing?

On 6/19/2019 at 9:45 PM, kloubek said:

This year:

To Vancouver

Marleau, Kapanen, Kadri

To Toronto

Goldobin, Sutter (50%), Gaudette, 2020 2nd      Baertschi 50%

Toronto solves their cap woes in a big way and gains much needed center depth. Yes it hurts us to give up two strong prospects but thats all they are... prospects. And yes, I hate Kadri too but there is no denying what he can bring.

To Knights

Tanev (50%), 2020 3rd, Lind         Rathbone

To Canucks

Miller

Can we retain on 2 contracts?  Knights save a bit of cap, get a solid shutdown guy for cheap, and assets.

Then we sign Lee if possible, and Granlund.

Season after next:                                                           Season after next

Lee Petey Boeser                                                     Lee / Pettersson / Boeser            21 M

Baer Bo Kapanen                                                     Persson / Bo / Kapenen               14 M  

Pearson Kadri Virtanen                                            Rousell / Gaudette / Virtanen         7 M

Granlund Beagle Roussel                                         Motte / Beagle / McEwen               5 M...…………..47M

Edler Miller                                                                      Edler / Stecher                         9 M

Hughes Tryamkin                                                            Hughes / Miller                        11 M

Juolevi Stecher                                                               Juolevi / Tryamkin                     5 M...….……….25M

Demko / ????                          5M...…………….5M...……………….Total   77M + 3 Spares = 80M

I would argue that the lineup above is a cup contender, and we can afford to add in order to receive quality.

Personally, I think we need to be somewhat Patient......there is still more work to do at the draft table, and the next 2 years should set us up well, while not spending all our money in one year...……….short term cash dumps will be fine, for a year

I think we would get a big boost overall by having 3 defensive pairings who finally can contribute from the back end, and each pairing has one bigger guy, one smaller guy.  Balanced.

Here is my thoughts as to why you were to aggressive...….

#1......You take us way too close to the cap ceiling

#2 …...We are still building depth, and we need more depth

#3...…Our core is too young and needs seasoning

#4...…Having extra cap space puts us in a very enviable position  in 2 years, instead of being hard to the cap

Look at our assets now...……..all are on the big club...…..we are thin...…...DiPietro, Juolevi, Woo, Lind, Madden, Rathbone, McEwen, Brisebois, Saunter

Look at the additional assets at the start of the 20/21 season...….add + 2019 1st (top winger/top Dman), 2019 2nd (Dman most likely), add 2020 1st and 2020 2nd

Lastly, in 2 years Sutter, Eriksson, Schaller, Spooner all become redundant (could be gone), and Beagle, Roussel, Edler are nearing their end, so that extra cap just may come in handy...………...

In saying all the above, your proposal is not bad in its premise, but needs to be rejigged for cap reasons...……….I think it starts a discussion, and should be used as such