The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[OFFICIAL] Edler is back - 2 years - 6 million per season

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

They still need Myers, or another top 4 rhd.......signing Edler doesn't change that.

True... but now he only needs 1 or 2 dmen instead of 2 or 3.

one less blank to fill in.... brilliant deal. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That's amazing, best case scenario even. Higher cap for shorter term and we can figure out the expansion crap later. 

Welcome back Eagle! 

Benning and co did great and Edler cooperated. I'm calling that a win for management.

I've lost some respect for Dhaliwal the last few days though. 

Yeah, Dhaliwal is a drama queen and getting to Pratt-like levels of dumbness.  Just listening to the guy costs you some brain cells.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 4

Great Job GMJB!

Now they can focus on either a Tanev trade to upgrade the right side with some offense, or sign a top 4 UFA.

On top of that sign Luke Schenn and we're looking pretty good

Edler - RD UFA or Tanev upgrade

Hughes- Tanev

Hutton- Stecher

Joulevi - Schenn

Sautner- Biega

Depth....

• Upvote 1

Benning retained the vet he needed to now he can move Tanev out. Sign a serviceable RD to replace Tanev. Play Edler, Hutton, Stecher and Hughes on the PP. Bring Joulevi up by X-Mass. Sign Schenn and rotate existing d-man prospects through the roster to see how they progress. Build towards 3 years out.  

9 minutes ago, oldnews said:

yes - but when you think about it, even where Edler's best interests are concerned, if he wants to stay in Vancouver, this way he is not vulnerable to the expansion draft - so he's free to re-sign here and neither require protection, nor take the risk of having to spend a year or two in Seattle or whereever they may have elected to deal him if the selected him.

2 years in the end may be preferable to Edler - it also inches up his cap hit (although he still took a discount) - and he maintains control over his future.

I always thought that this was the best way to get around the expansion draft and made the most sense for everyone. Added bonus that this expires at the same time Petty and Hughes new contracts will kick in. Just works for everyone.

• Cheers 2

Excellent news! Great deal for both sides. I hope all of you who were whining that Eagle was “done” in Van and that he “didn’t care” about the team before... well I hope this signing makes you regret ever thinking that. Eagle just proved how much he loves this team and wants to stay. He could have made way more in the open market with a longer term contract but instead he took a discount and shorter term to stay with us. True showing of great character. Love ya Eagle. I’m glad I have your number on my back!:towel:

• Cheers 2