The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[OFFICIAL] Edler is back - 2 years - 6 million per season

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Wow, this is an amazing signing and could not be more ideal for Vancouver in terms of terms and is below the market of what Edler could have received in terms of AAV.    Does nothing to their CAP issues that don't start to show up until (potentially only that is) year 3.    This demonstrated three things:

• Edler took a hometown discount AND probably didn't agree with his agent who would have pushed for more term and/or AAV
  • Canucks management clearly understands and is sticking to a development plan and that does not include long-term commitments post a certain age when their young core should be mostly "emerged" (also showed a bit of hardball played...NO way this was Edler camp preferred deal)
  • Some in media and CDC (Edler "done" with Vancouver) created a narrative based upon nothing whatsoever

This, as stated in other threads, is one of the best FA signings by any team this summer in terms of team need, CAP situation and ensuring a "fit".

A bit early to declare that considering free agency hasn’t even opened yet. But yes. A very solid signing. 

• Cheers 1

So stoked on this.

Probably what happened was Edler was on his holiday and his agent was trying to get him a great deal.

edler gets involved like wth just sign the deal I just want to be in Van!

2x6 is perfect.

flexible term and the salary is fair but UFA hometown discount.

respect to Edler for getting it done. And to JB for not folding early and doing the 3 year NTC deal.

If we added Gardiner it would be interesting, just lots of LHD

Gardiner-Tanev

Edler-Hughes

Hutton-Stecher

Schenn

then injuries We have lots of Guys to call up. Juolevi can have a year to rebound from injury and focus on his game and conditioning. Hopefully we are able to move hutton the next offseason or when necessary to make room for Juolevi. 

or if the rumours of trading Tanev  are true. And they moved him. They would have to have to sign a RHD like Myers (yikes) or stralman who I really like but his term / age would scare me:

Edler-Stralman

Hughes-Schenn

Hutton-Stecher

Awesome signing!

Interesting, this is similar to something that was proposed by someone on our board and I seconded. Seattle won't pick him if he's a UFA, we just resign him after the Expansion draft. 

Gets to finish his career here!

• Cheers 1

Another thing I really like about Eddie signing this deal, aside from the obvious, is that it may hopefully rub off on some of our core players into signing deals that take care of them but also the team. The last thing we need is a situation like what Toronto is going through right now. 

• Cheers 3

17 minutes ago, goblix said:

Curious on why you lost respect for Dhaliwal? if anything you should be gaining respect no ?

Dhaliwal has been reporting what's been going on. Prior to a couple days ago it was stalled which he reported and when the negotiations was looking good and picked up again he reported that too.

Seems like he's been accurate in his reports.

Thank you! I think people just like to pick on him because of the rep he has with Solkowski and Cybulski on the radio. 

But imo he's probably the best insider this market has.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Boeserker said:

Edler is on the Freedom 40 plan. He doesn't want the C, he doesn't care to win the Cup, he just wants to be comfortable for the next few years. 

Also, who gave him the nickname "Eagle"? Just terribad

Freedom 40 plan?  This is great as he is 33 and signed a 2 year deal that is very club friendly. The guy has battled through more adversity than most can imagine,  been our best defender for quite a while and never got the support he should have in terms of players on the ice or from “fans” like you. This is a great signing, lots of upside, virtually bo risk. You won’t get a better dman this year without giving up assets, more term and more money. 

As to the nickname...I’m guessing you just started watching hockey recently. Edler just took one for the team and you say he doesn’t care. It’s no wonder UFA’s won’t come here without Albatross contracts. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, buddyguy said:

Hate to say it man but you have to give him credit. He's been pretty bang on about most things and is probably the best insider for the Canucks. He was the first one that actually said this deal was going to get done. 

Elliotte Friedman said it could be 4 year deal LOL

True, but wasn't he also the source of earlier reports that there wasn't going to be a deal?  No doubt the guy has some access but if he's just putting out what some party to the negotiation wants the public to hear at any given moment and can change 180 degrees from one day to the next, then that does affect his credibility, no?  Maybe not to "a stopped clock is right twice a day" levels, but definitely in that direction. 

• Cheers 1

Wow, last I saw it was still going to be 3-4 years. This is so great — As if he wasn't a fan favourite before... I wouldn't be surprised it he steps into a new role with the club after retiring. Maybe work with and eventually replace Gradin as our Swedish scout? B)

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

True, but wasn't he also the source of earlier reports that there wasn't going to be a deal?  No doubt the guy has some access but if he's just putting out what some party to the negotiation wants the public to hear at any given moment and can change 180 degrees from one day to the next, then that does affect his credibility, no?  Maybe not to "a stopped clock is right twice a day" levels, but definitely in that direction. 

Not necessarily. Every insider has their hiccups and it is possible that both sides hit a stalemate before resuming negotiations. He's also accurate 95% of the time so i have to disagree with you in saying that it affects his credibility.