The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[OFFICIAL] Edler is back - 2 years - 6 million per season

9 minutes ago, buddyguy said:

Thank you! I think people just like to pick on him because of the rep he has with Solkowski and Cybulski on the radio. 

But imo he's probably the best insider this market has.

Yeah I don't really like him specifically with those 2 because they just ramble stupid stuff. It's funny cause he was on with Sat and Jawn for a bit yesterday and he was infinitely more bearable lol 

like you say his info seems legit and tends to make sense

25 minutes ago, Boeserker said:

Edler is on the Freedom 40 plan. He doesn't want the C, he doesn't care to win the Cup, he just wants to be comfortable for the next few years. 

Also, who gave him the nickname "Eagle"? Just terribad

To what are you basing any of this on?

Yeah that nickname is almost as bad as someone using the word “terribad” in real life. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, buddyguy said:

Not necessarily. Every insider has their hiccups and it is possible that both sides hit a stalemate before resuming negotiations. He's also accurate 95% of the time so i have to disagree with you in saying that it affects his credibility.

Okay, I'm not telling you what to think or who to trust, but there were some on this board (not me for the record, but aGENT for one) who didn't take the bait about him going to free agency and said it was all part of the negotiation process.  They turned out to be right.  If you're just a stenographer for what someone wants you to think in the moment and can't see what the dynamics are, you're going to get played sometimes.  That's what I think happened here.  None of this is to say that he doesn't have decent insider access, maybe better than anyone else in the local media.  In fact, what happened here could only happen to someone with good sources. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Boeserker said:

Look, this is a great deal given the current circumstance but I will say that Edler's priorities have never ever been to win the Cup. Much like the Sedin's, he has given Vancouver a sweetheart deal due to his personal needs. This is not the type of player you build a Cup winner around.

He is comfortable in Vancouver and just wants to ride it out here. We need to steer clear of these types of player mentality starting NOW.

I doubt the Nucks are going to be anywhere close to winning the cup during the next to years. 

The team needs Edler to do what he's always done; eat up big minutes, add some physical presence and ++ experience.  There is no dman on the team that can replace Edler as of yet.  Having him for 2 more years gives the young LDs more time to develop and JB more time to build a solid defence.

You personal account of Edler's character aside...He clealry is the right signing for the team at this point in time.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

The team needs Edler to do what he's always done; eat up big minutes, add some physical presence and ++ experience.  There is no dman on the team that can replace Edler as of yet.  Having him for 2 more years gives the young LDs more time to develop and JB more time to build a solid defence.

You personal account of Edler's character aside...He clealry is the right signing for the team at this point in time.

Edler should give those minutes to a developing player. And not eat them up as he wastes them...

He is a physical presence but that presence is seen to far and in between...

LDs aside there are many players regardless of  R/L hands  who can do his job.  IF your team cannot cope with out a LD then thats weak. 

• Wat 4

18 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Maybe it's two steps forward 

I am a Benning fan but I would say retaining a D man who was part of a pretty bad D last year is only one step. And I love Edler but he should be a #2 or 3, not a 1. 

Not what I wanted to happen but that is why I am not the GM.  Glad it is only two years though.  Let's hope he can play more than 2/3 of the next two seasons.

Let's go and get some more help on defense.  

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Didn’t take long for Benning haters to find some thing to whine about. You know how people have range anxiety with electric vehicles. Some fans have GM anxiety.

Awesome

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Hey, that’s mine....

i think it it would be fair to say that Gardiner at 7 years 50 mill would be two steps back no?  

Hahahhahaha. I highly doubt that Gardiner is going to be signed here, Stelar.

If that did happen as you state, then....yeah that would be two....nay....three steps back. However, with Edler re-signed, Hughes, and most likely Juolevi taking spots on the defense this season, the need for another puckmoving defenseman will exist, but not one as defensively porous as Gardiner.

Factor in Benning's comments about St. Louis' size on the blueline, and Gardiner is less and less likely a possibility, in my humble opinion.

3 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

Edler should give those minutes to a developing player. And not eat them up as he wastes them...

He is a physical presence but that presence is seen to far and in between...

LDs aside there are many players regardless of  R/L hands  who can do his job.  IF your team cannot cope with out a LD then thats weak. 

Hughes will likely get a chunk of his pp mins, but no one can play his hard shutdown mins, not even close

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Wow, this is an amazing signing and could not be more ideal for Vancouver in terms of terms and is below the market of what Edler could have received in terms of AAV.    Does nothing to their CAP issues that don't start to show up until (potentially only that is) year 3.    This demonstrated three things:

• Edler took a hometown discount AND probably didn't agree with his agent who would have pushed for more term and/or AAV
  • Canucks management clearly understands and is sticking to a development plan and that does not include long-term commitments post a certain age when their young core should be mostly "emerged" (also showed a bit of hardball played...NO way this was Edler camp preferred deal)
  • Some in media and CDC (Edler "done" with Vancouver) created a narrative based upon nothing whatsoever

This, as stated in other threads, is one of the best FA signings by any team this summer in terms of team need, CAP situation and ensuring a "fit".

I don't think there was any narrative. It was all speculation. and/or wishful thinking. 

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hahahhahaha. I highly doubt that Gardiner is going to be signed here, Stelar.

If that did happen as you state, then....yeah that would be two....nay....three steps back. However, with Edler re-signed, Hughes, and most likely Juolevi taking spots on the defense this season, the need for another puckmoving defenseman will exist, but not one as defensively porous as Gardiner.

Factor in Benning's comments about St. Louis' size on the blueline, and Gardiner is less and less likely a possibility, in my humble opinion.

Hope you’re right