The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL 20 Thread

goalie13

On 6/24/2019 at 9:10 AM, BowtieCanuck said:

I agree. My friends and I were psyched to play Ones offline and we kinda pissed it was only online. Thank god thats not the case this time.

https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/features-overview

I had fun with threes? for about a week. Think i got into the 20s for level. Got old fast. Either it was laggy for me or my teammate was skipping around, or cherry picking. Dissapointing being the only one playing defense and then setting them up for a breakaway only to “waffleboard” it into the ai goalies pads. 

Still no idea what waffleboarding is. I think its bad?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

I had fun with threes? for about a week. Think i got into the 20s for level. Got old fast. Either it was laggy for me or my teammate was skipping around, or cherry picking. Dissapointing being the only one playing defense and then setting them up for a breakaway only to “waffleboard” it into the ai goalies pads. 

I think waffleboard is a refernce to the goalie's blocker, which sort of resembles a waffle.

On 6/26/2019 at 3:36 AM, MystifyNCrucify said:

I swear the only person who uses that phrase is Micheal “Doc” Emrick. It sounds ridiculous and nobody else in hockey world I’ve heard use it. Bring back Jim Hughson and Donny Taylor EA, hands down the best duo this gaming franchise has ever had.

15 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

I swear the only person who uses that phrase is Micheal “Doc” Emrick. It sounds ridiculous and nobody else in hockey world I’ve heard use it. Bring back Jim Hughson and Donny Taylor EA, hands down the best duo this gaming franchise has ever had.

They're going with Cybulski and Ferraro.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, WalkWithElias40 said:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nhl-20-game-from-ea-revealed-battle-royale-cover-s/1100-6467885/

bringing in soo many features holy crap ! 

lots of new things ! 

including new commentary finally !

Like this post so I'll check this site out when I'm not at work (where it's blocked lol)

• Upvote 1

Franchise Mode Updates

There are a number of granular changes coming to NHL 20 in regards to the Franchise mode. Scouting was introduced in NHL 19, and in the new game you can hire--and fire--coaches. Additionally, there is a new "line chemistry" feature that allows players to select players who match the right chemistry for a particular line to have the most success. NHL 20 also adds a new Trade Finder feature that should make the trading process easier. It was a laborious process in NHL 19 to make a trade, but now the CPU will auto-propose trades and then you can choose to accept or reject. Alternatively, players can also propose their own specific trades.

Neat but the rest of the 'improvements' are pure fluff.  Also like how they're bringing in fresh blood for the commentary, that's a fancy way of saying bringing in cheaper commentary.  I like Ferraro but I have my reservations with Cybulski.

Definitely passing on this game, NHL 21 might be worth it since the new Gen Consoles will be coming out then, so they will be changing it up for the new Consoles, 20 is going to play the same as 19, the new features won't change how the actual game plays, still going to be sloppy play.

The one feature that actually sounds good and it's about time they figured this out, not sure why it took them this long to figure it out since it wasn't an issue on the last gen consoles, is picking the puck up on the fly or receiving a puck in motion. They always have to stop kind of to receive a pass or pick up a loose puck, this really killed the momentum for yourself, not sure why it was even like this since it wasn't an issue back in 15, but that isn't going to sell me enough to buy it. There are a lot of other issues with how it operates and I doubt it will be addressed in 20, maybe in 21 for the new Gen Consoles though, so I'll wait until 21 I think.

Oh and having to hear more of Ray Ferraro is not going to help me buy it, but the complete opposite :towel:

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Hey guys,

I'm new to PC gaming, and I would really like to get this game.  

Is it playable with a mouse and keyboard? Is it better to play with a controller (I don't have one)? 

Which is preferred?  

Thanks in advance for any input and advice on this. 

On 7/3/2019 at 5:11 AM, Stamkos said:

I just want CPU GMs to counter-propose trades in Franchise. 

The assistant gm in 19 was milbury/chiarelli with all the learning disabilities. Rebuilding the teams with promising players? NOOO need to change that trading block to get some 35+ players with 9mill cap hits. 

Got an elite rookie you want in the top six? NOOOO the 30 year old 79 overall grinder is better so he slots in 2rw. 

Looking to scout out all the rookies potential? No lets see five mid range prospects personalities instead of the top 30 potentials. 

We havent had a trade offer in a while. Im going to change the block back to 35+ players. 

Etc etc

• Upvote 1

On 7/5/2019 at 11:56 AM, 2011 said:

Hey guys,

I'm new to PC gaming, and I would really like to get this game.  

Is it playable with a mouse and keyboard? Is it better to play with a controller (I don't have one)? 

Which is preferred?  

Thanks in advance for any input and advice on this. 

Unfortunately they don't make the NHL series for the PC anymore, which doesn't make any sense to me kind of stupid, they only offer the game on Xbox or PlayStation.

I want to say I'm passing on this game, but I know I won't be able to stop myself. I basically need to have the newest one every season, and there are no other options. EA obviously knows this, which is why they don't add a ton every season.

I'm really hoping for that engine upgrade in NHL 21, but who knows if it will be any better. I know there's still glitches, etc in the Madden and FIFA games.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2019 at 11:35 AM, Tre Mac said:

Neat but the rest of the 'improvements' are pure fluff.  Also like how they're bringing in fresh blood for the commentary, that's a fancy way of saying bringing in cheaper commentary.  I like Ferraro but I have my reservations with Cybulski.

Probably has more to do with a new engine and the fact the NBC TV deal is up soon.

Speed and Shooting Fueled by RPM Tech
NHL® 20 introduces the next major innovation in RPM Tech-powered gameplay with Superstar Signature Shots. Your favorite NHL stars now look and feel truly authentic with the trademark shooting-styles you recognize from the real world. Additionally, over 45 new contextual shot animations make shooting more lifelike as players use new tools to get the puck on net.

RPM Tech also ignites more speed to gameplay through revamped animation blending that allows players to execute shots, passes, and puck pickups without slowing a skater’s pace; creating faster, more skilled and more fluid plays up and down the ice.

Finally, new goaltender A.I. includes full offensive threat analysis, allowing goalies to read the positioning and threat level of every attack before actively controlling rebounds and redirecting pucks away from danger.

IT'S ABOUT FRIGGIN' TIME!

On 6/20/2019 at 12:21 PM, MystifyNCrucify said:

I have 19 and 17 and 15.  I always skip a year

On 6/22/2019 at 6:07 PM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I'm thinking about doing this too. I had NHL 11 then NHL 13. Took a break for six years and bought NHL 19. I may skip the next one... we'll see.

Been buying every 2-3 years since '94 plus I had Blades of Steel NES. That was the first one I remember where you could actually pick cities incl. Van and the colour scheme of the jerseys was close.

Bought 19 but going to have to get 20 as well based on roster changes.