The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jordie Benn to hit free agency

Just now, timberz21 said:

Hasn't been horrible for MTL but has been on the decline since leaving Dallas.  Wouldn't mind a 1 year deal, but pretty sure he's looking to cash in on a long-term deal since he's sensing the end is near.

Exactly what we need while we let Juolevi get up to speed in Utica for a few months ::D

12 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

We have Edler, Hughes, Hutton already with up and comers like Sautner and brisebois close to breaking in. It would’nt make sense unless he was our 7th D and by seeing how much he’s played in MTL, I doubt that that would entice him 

*Trade Hutton.

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

Hutton made a nice leap last season. Committed to summer training now. Fits in with the guys. Unless we get an obvious upgrade(at a great deal), should stick with this devil we know.

this is something I wonder about with both him and virtanen. their personalities are pretty starkly different from the rest of the group and it makes me wonder how well they mesh, and if that fact might play into both of them being move along for someone who fits better. 

2 minutes ago, tas said:

this is something I wonder about with both him and virtanen. their personalities are pretty starkly different from the rest of the group and it makes me wonder how well they mesh, and if that fact might play into both of them being move along for someone who fits better. 

Big kids who'll drop the mitts for their teammates. I'd like our squad to have 8-10 guys like that. If your suspicions are ever the case, I'd trust JB to nip it in the bud.

One thing I will say about Jordie is he was always the harder worker of the two Benn brothers. Jamie had the natural skill, whereas Jordie had the better work ethic.

Having said that, we don't really have a need for him right now. So Benning would definitely need to ship someone out. That is unless Schenn isn't going to re-sign.

1 hour ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

Hard no. His bro is the C here in Dallas and nobody seemed to care when he went to MTL at the time lol. Well, maybe his bro. Would rather re-sign Schenn on a 1-year "show me" deal around $1.5-2mil.

Schenn has shown me enough to get a one year one-way contract.  At the very least, he’s a great vet to have on the Comets.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

*Trade Hutton.

Literally makes zero sense to do so. His value isn’t anywhere near what people on this board seem to think it is, his value is much higher for us to just keep him, he’s young, still has potential and can build off a strong year that he just had. Our defensive depth is nowhere near solid enough and throwing away young dmen will do us absolutely no good. Trading assets like Tanev makes much much much much much more sense. Our only roadblock is our lack of D depth... Benn helps (even though I know he’s a LD) 

17 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Literally makes zero sense to do so. His value isn’t anywhere near what people on this board seem to think it is, his value is much higher for us to just keep him, he’s young, still has potential and can build off a strong year that he just had. Our defensive depth is nowhere near solid enough and throwing away young dmen will do us absolutely no good. Trading assets like Tanev makes much much much much much more sense. Our only roadblock is our lack of D depth... Benn helps (even though I know he’s a LD) 

Tanev too :) 

would be a decent target if he played the right side.

people here sandbagging him for some reason, but his outcomes last year were pretty good.

5/17/22 pts +15

18 minutes

49% ozone starts

53.4% corsi

124 hits. 128 blocks

3.2 on ice goals for per 60, 2.7 against.

2:46 / game short-handed ice time.

Played principally with Kulak and Petry

He's probably going to do alright in free agency.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 2

10 hours ago, aGENT said:

Tanev is unfortunately at the point right now where he is worth more to us if we trade him rather than keep him. 

I’ll take a 2nd and a prospect over 55 games a season of a 4.45 cap, and would much rather get younger and stronger with someone like Ristolainen. 

Sure, defensive D are important but we need offense, and we need it desperately. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, aGENT said:

Tanev is unfortunately at the point right now where he is worth more to us if we trade him rather than keep him. 

I’ll take a 2nd and a prospect over 55 games a season of a 4.45 cap, and would much rather get younger and stronger with someone like Ristolainen. 

Sure, defensive D are important but we need offense, and we need it desperately.