The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jordie Benn to hit free agency

7 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Tanev is unfortunately at the point right now where he is worth more to us if we trade him rather than keep him. 

I’ll take a 2nd and a prospect over 55 games a season of a 4.45 cap, and would much rather get younger and stronger with someone like Ristolainen. 

Sure, defensive D are important but we need offense, and we need it desperately. 

He's also gone next summer IMO anyway. I'd rather get SOMETHING for him now, while he's healthy, than risk hoping beyond hope for him to be healthy at the 2020 TDL, or worse, getting nothing when he leaves that July.

We can largely replace his spot via UFA this summer as well if we move him now.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's also gone next summer IMO anyway. I'd rather get SOMETHING for him now, while he's healthy, than risk hoping beyond hope for him to be healthy at the 2020 TDL, or worse, getting nothing when he leaves that July.

We can largely replace his spot via UFA this summer as well if we move him now.

His trade value right now is zero. If we keep him and he is healthy at the trade deadline we could get something for him. 

He loves living in Vancouver and is happy to stay with the team but he is very much a Toronto boy at heart. I think it is either here or the Leafs when he goes to free agency. 

3 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

His trade value right now is zero. If we keep him and he is healthy at the trade deadline we could get something for him. 

He loves living in Vancouver and is happy to stay with the team but he is very much a Toronto boy at heart. I think it is either here or the Leafs when he goes to free agency. 

His trade value certainly isn't what it once was but it's more than zero. Zero is what it will be if we wait to the TDL and he's injured again. MOVE HIM.

I think he's heading back East. TOR or otherwise. Less grinding play, less travel, closer to 'home'.

I can see us going after Jordie Benn if we plan on moving Hutton at some point. He would be a great depth Dman for our bottom pair.

It sounds like Jim wants to let Juolevi earn a spot out of camp. I'm curious how this all plays out. Hutton is due for a big raise unless we opt not to qualify him.

Then approach him after like we did with Pouliot last season.

11 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

Dhaliwal has apparently abandoned the post of the thing the market actually needs:

A talking head that actually sources his 'news' - as opposed to floating his own "wouldn't surprise me" material out there.

There are countless armchair speculators out there - lots of 'sources' with no credibility in the Van market.

It's unfortunate that the need for a source who's word can be relatively trusted remains a vacancy in this market.

I’d prefer Hutton, he made huge improvements last year as compared to the year before.  He played solid last year, I don’t see why we shouldn’t keep him.  Reward the hard work he and the coaching staff have put in. 

47 minutes ago, brian42 said:

I’d prefer Hutton, he made huge improvements last year as compared to the year before.  He played solid last year, I don’t see why we shouldn’t keep him.  Reward the hard work he and the coaching staff have put in. 

I agree. I wouldn't mind moving Ben if it helped with shipping out LE or for draft picks. But if I had to choose between Benn or Ben, I'd choose Ben. 

Ben. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, brian42 said:

I don't know if Benn is a upgrade on Hutton. He plays a heavier game but Hutton has made big strides there. Hutton is definitely a better skater and has more offensive upside. I agree that Hutton made strides last year and during the injury stretch he played top TOI. Hutton has to be re-signed and if the depth over takes him he still has trade value.  

1 hour ago, brian42 said:

Problem being if Hutton's asking for $4m to play on our 3rd pair and is bound to be getting pressured by Juolevi sooner than later.

Or we can pay a guy like Benn $2m +/- on a short term deal to play a a heavier game than Hutton while freeing up cash for say a RD and is a guy we don't really care if OJ overtakes him while perhaps moving Hutton for other assets....

I guess it all depends what # Ben and Benn will come in at but if it’s within a million of each other I prefer Ben as It wouldn’t be significant cap savings there.  I’m also not sure why Hutton wouldn’t have some trade value if we could trade him with something for a RHD then it would be smart to move Ben and bring in Benn.