The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Forwards 2019

Rate this topic

JJP

As of now we're looking at some variation of this forward line up for opening night roster 

Pearson                    Horvat                         Boeser 

Leivo                          Petey                         Baertschi(?)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Goldobin(?)          Sutter(?)/Gaud                     Virt 

Eriksson/Lucic         Beagle                             Motte 

Is it just me or does the idea of Pearson at top line left wing, Leivo and Baertschi at 2nd line wing seem weak for a team trying to make the playoffs? 

Also is our bottom 6 considered average in the league? 

1 hour ago, JJP said:

As of now we're looking at some variation of this forward line up for opening night roster 

Is it just me or does the idea of Pearson at top line left wing, Leivo and Baertschi at 2nd line wing seem weak for a team trying to make the playoffs? 

You keep starting threads about how the Canucks are not good enough for you.   Two a day is a pace - going to keep it up?

Tanner Pearson ended upon the second line LW for the LA Kings in the Cup winning playoff run.      He was top 6 with a playoff Penguin team.     Baer's point per game production is solidly in the top 6 range in the NHL.    

NO team in the NHL has the depth you seemingly expect of the Canucks.   Pat Maroon was second on the Blues in the playoffs just ended in terms of LW TOI (so technically their second link LW...he or Sanford some nights but overall Maroon more often).   Is Maroon or Sanford miles ahead of Pearson?    in the regular season Maroon had 10 goals and 28 points in 74 games.   LE and Roussel both outscored him as LW and Leivo had better PPG as did Pearson.   Goldy almost same points as Maroon in fewer games.   So if it worked for Stanley Cup champs, might it not for a playoff trying team?

The top 6 cutoff (e.g. about 60th) for LW in the NHL last year was 29 points.   For RW it was 25 points (ironically, Jake Virtanen was the NHL's 60th highest point achieving RW this past season).    Pearson and Baer easily will clear that hurdle if they play 70 plus games and those who would step in if they cannot seem also capable of that bar clearance.

Not sure what you mean by "average" for the bottom six as clearly you want the answer to be "no" but as Sutter could be third line center for almost any team in the NHL save perhaps four or five and Beagle was the same position for the SC Champs just a season ago, the middle looks good.   Virtanen is top 6 material points wise already (bottom admittedly) and so are LE and Goldy so statistically, your need to show Canucks not "up to it" is lacking as the bottom six have a bunch who are top 6 in scoring (near bottom admittedly but in there) with two centers who clearly belong.    Does that mean they will make playoffs?    Just to annoy you, sure they can.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

You keep starting threads about how the Canucks are not good enough for you.   Two a day is a pace - going to keep it up?

Tanner Pearson ended upon the second line LW for the LA Kings in the Cup winning playoff run.      He was top 6 with a playoff Penguin team.     Baer's point per game production is solidly in the top 6 range in the NHL.    

NO team in the NHL has the depth you seemingly expect of the Canucks.   Pat Maroon was second on the Blues in the playoffs just ended in terms of LW TOI (so technically their second link LW...he or Sanford some nights but overall Maroon more often).   Is Maroon or Sanford miles ahead of Pearson?    in the regular season Maroon had 10 goals and 28 points in 74 games.   LE and Roussel both outscored him as LW and Leivo had better PPG as did Pearson.   Goldy almost same points as Maroon in fewer games.   So if it worked for Stanley Cup champs, might it not for a playoff trying team?

The top 6 cutoff (e.g. about 60th) for LW in the NHL last year was 29 points.   For RW it was 25 points (ironically, Jake Virtanen was the NHL's 60th highest point achieving RW this past season).    Pearson and Baer easily will clear that hurdle if they play 70 plus games and those who would step in if they cannot seem also capable of that bar clearance.

Not sure what you mean by "average" for the bottom six as clearly you want the answer to be "no" but as Sutter could be third line center for almost any team in the NHL save perhaps four or five and Beagle was the same position for the SC Champs just a season ago, the middle looks good.   Virtanen is top 6 material points wise already (bottom admittedly) and so are LE and Goldy so statistically, your need to show Canucks not "up to it" is lacking as the bottom six have a bunch who are top 6 in scoring (near bottom admittedly but in there) with two centers who clearly belong.    Does that mean they will make playoffs?    Just to annoy you, sure they can.

I don't think that the Canucks are not good enough for me; I've been a die-hard Canucks fan since I was a kid. 

Just trying to understand how they can get better and where they stand with this offseason moves that's all 

but thanks for your input :) 

2 hours ago, JJP said:

I'm seeing the most likely base line-up as:

Baertschi-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-2RW

Roussel-3C-Leivo

Motte-Beagle-Virtanen

C:  The Canucks currently have Sutter as the most likely 3C.  If Sutter is moved (which I think there's a strong possibility will not happen), then Gaudette would presumably take over.  Spooner is also a possibility and I always forget that he's still Canucks property.  Schaller could play C as well but he would not be an option to replace Sutter.

W:  Eriksson is likely gone but there's still a possibility that he will remain Canucks property.  Goldobin is a wild card right now.  Spooner can also play wing but I have hard time seeing a place on this team for him.

The Canucks need to shore up their top-6 this summer too and with various pieces in play, it will be interesting to see what happens.

Edited by EternalCanuckFan

1 minute ago, JJP said:

I don't think that the Canucks are not good enough for me; I've been a die-hard Canucks fan since I was a kid. 

Just trying to understand how they can get better and where they stand with this offseason moves that's all 

but thanks for your input :) 

...but joined just yesterday to start threads all questioning them not being good enough....with same typo/style as another guy who does the same.    Sounds good.   ::D

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

...but joined just yesterday to start threads all questioning them not being good enough....with same typo/style as another guy who does the same.    Sounds good.   ::D

I don't know this 'another guy' but I can assure you I'm not him or questioning the Canuck's ability. 

Frankly, they have been disappointing and it was hard to watch them since their stanley cup final run in 2011 

it's a fact that they have not been too strong, so I'm just curious as to how they can improve this year that's all my man. 

3 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I'm seeing the most likely base line-up as:

Baertschi-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-2RW

Roussel-3C-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-4RW

C:  The Canucks currently have Sutter as the most likely 3C.  If Sutter is moved (which I think there's a strong possibility will not happen), then Gaudette would presumably take over.  Spooner is also a possibility and I always forget that he's still Canucks property.  Schaller could play C as well but he would not be an option to replace Sutter.

W:  Eriksson is likely gone but there's still a possibility that he will remain Canucks property.  Goldobin is a wild card right now.  Spooner can also play wing but I have hard time seeing a place on this team for him.

The Canucks need to shore up their top-6 this summer too and with various pieces in play, it will be interesting to see what happens.

What about Josh Leivo? and when you say LE remaining as canucks property, do you mean that we will retain some of his salary? 

1 minute ago, JJP said:

I don't know this 'another guy' but I can assure you I'm not him or questioning the Canuck's ability. 

Frankly, they have been disappointing and it was hard to watch them since their stanley cup final run in 2011 

it's a fact that they have not been too strong, so I'm just curious as to how they can improve this year that's all my man. 

You go with that.   Pace yourself is only advice.  It is more fun each time if you stick around longer.   Cheers as always.   :)

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, JJP said:

Hmmm...why not wait and see what the lineup is like after preseason?  There's still + 2 months of offseason ahead.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, JJP said:

What about Josh Leivo? and when you say LE remaining as canucks property, do you mean that we will retain some of his salary? 

Good catch, forgot about Leivo!

Regarding LE, I don't mean retention of salary.  The Canucks can retain salary without LE being their property anymore.  I mean the nightmare situation where they try to bury LE in the minors which would presumably be bad for all parties.

I think we're looking more like this with the present roster.

Baertschi Petersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Granlund

Leivo Sutter Virtanen

Roussel Beagle Motte

Gaudette I think starts the year in Utica but he's damn close.  Is Sutter trade bait?  I don't think he has a lot of value on the open market right now.

Schaller finally started to find his way towards the end of last season so I'm not giving up on him. 

Granny I like as a 13th man come Swiss Army Knife. 

Eriksson who knows.  Benning hasn't spoken with him as of today. 

Goldy can go fly a kite. 

Spooner, who knows.  I'm sure he's better than he has shown.

MacEwen deserves a shot at some point.

So there are plenty of spare parts but no real help for Petey.  I imagine that Baer could slide down and Pearson play on his off wing if JB found the winger he wants.

I don't imagine he'll land a player who will be here long term.  Maybe a Vanek or Vrbata type who might stick around for a year or 2.  It really depends on the remaining cap space once Boeser etc are signed and the promised RHD

3 hours ago, JJP said:

They find another team.   Most of us enjoy watching one of the young, upcoming teams in the league.   You fell off the bandwagon, come back once in a while to poke, just do yourself and all others a favour and go back.    :)

XX-Petterson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-XX

Baertschi-Sutter/Gaudette-Leivo

Roussel-Beagle-McEwan

Motte

I am going to wait and see because I think these are the moves he is trying to make.

Ideal world, Lee and Panarin sign for the two top lines.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 1