The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) 5 trades & 2 Signings and its Playoffs once again

Sutter and Beagle can't play on the same team, they are arguably the same player, both with ugly advanced stats. Gaudette will be 23 when next season starts and if he is going to pan out as a middle 6 scoring centre he needs the opportunity to develop and take a step. IMO Beagle won't be moved.

To Ottawa:

Sutter

To Van:

4th rd pick 2020

Ottawa will have trouble getting to the cap floor and Dorion has been open to saying he would like to acquire veterans to surround his rookies with.

VGK are in a cap crunch, I think it would be smart to explore getting Colin Miller out of there. An excellent skating right shot top 4 d man who transitions pucks efficiently. I think if you helped vegas out with their cap crunch you could get him much cheaper. They still need to sign William Karlsson so taking Clarkson's 5.25M cap hit from them would be a massive help.

To Vegas:

Lind

Hutton

2020 3rd

To Van:

Miller

Clarkson (contract)

After aquiring Miller I think Tanev becomes immediately expendable to trade, if he wasn't already...

I would try and take advantage of Torontos cap crunch. Kapanen, Johnson and Kadri will all be available for the right price. TO is also looking for an RHD

Potentially you could look at throwing zaitsev in this deal. I don't like the idea of trading for him, but if it balances the trade in a way that makes it work better I don't see why not. Kapanen is well worth it.

To Toronto:

Tanev (50% retained)

2019 3rd

To Van:

Kapanen

To Minnesota:

Virtanen

Baertschi

OTT 2020 4th rd pick

To Van:

Zucker

Virtanen has been rumoured in a potential Zucker deal for a while. Their initial ask was Boeser... obviously a non-starter for Van. If you have to throw in another late round pick or Goldobin to sweeten it I think it would still be worth it.

As Botch would stress, the Canucks need an army. Trading down a few spots in the 1st to acquire another 2nd rd pick would fit that mantra.

I would target either MTL or FLA. Florida is a smaller drop but Montreal has 2 picks in the 2nd round so could be more inclined to move one.

Also, outside there is also believed to be a drop off of skill in the rest of the draft. Ideally I'd like Benning to trade down to 13.

To FLA:

10th Overall

To Van:

13th Overall

52nd Overall (from Pitt)

Draft:

13 - Newhook (if he's still there) if he's gone: Soderstrom

40 - Nils Hoglander

52 - Vladislav Firstov

Free Agency:

Sign Gardiner 5 x 6

- It's an overpayment, and I'm not all in on it but I have a feeling Benning is going to do it. It does make our D core better right away. If you look at Gardiners partners in TO he was handicapped a lot of the time.

Sign Ferland 4 x 4

- Adds grit and skill to bottom six. 17 goals last season replaces what we lost in Virtanen. Good on the PK too.

2019/20 Playoff-Bound Lineup:

Zucker - Petey - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Kapanen

Ferland - Gaudette - Leivo

healthy Rouss - Beagle - MacEwen

Schaller

Edler - Miller

Gardiner - Stetcher

Hughes - Schenn

Brisebois - Biega

Markstrom

Demko

15 minutes ago, Threadsetter1 said:

Sutter and Beagle can't play on the same team, they are arguably the same player, both with ugly advanced stats. Gaudette will be 23 when next season starts and if he is going to pan out as a middle 6 scoring centre he needs the opportunity to develop and take a step. IMO Beagle won't be moved.

To Ottawa:

Sutter

To Van:

4th rd pick 2020

Ottawa will have trouble getting to the cap floor and Dorion has been open to saying he would like to acquire veterans to surround his rookies with.

VGK are in a cap crunch, I think it would be smart to explore getting Colin Miller out of there. An excellent skating right shot top 4 d man who transitions pucks efficiently. I think if you helped vegas out with their cap crunch you could get him much cheaper. They still need to sign William Karlsson so taking Clarkson's 5.25M cap hit from them would be a massive help.

To Vegas:

Lind

Hutton

2020 3rd

To Van:

Miller

Clarkson (contract)

After aquiring Miller I think Tanev becomes immediately expendable to trade, if he wasn't already...

I would try and take advantage of Torontos cap crunch. Kapanen, Johnson and Kadri will all be available for the right price. TO is also looking for an RHD

Potentially you could look at throwing zaitsev in this deal. I don't like the idea of trading for him, but if it balances the trade in a way that makes it work better I don't see why not. Kapanen is well worth it.

To Toronto:

Tanev (50% retained)

2019 3rd

To Van:

Kapanen

To Minnesota:

Virtanen

Baertschi

OTT 2020 4th rd pick

To Van:

Zucker

Virtanen has been rumoured in a potential Zucker deal for a while. Their initial ask was Boeser... obviously a non-starter for Van. If you have to throw in another late round pick or Goldobin to sweeten it I think it would still be worth it.

As Botch would stress, the Canucks need an army. Trading down a few spots in the 1st to acquire another 2nd rd pick would fit that mantra.

I would target either MTL or FLA. Florida is a smaller drop but Montreal has 2 picks in the 2nd round so could be more inclined to move one.

Also, outside there is also believed to be a drop off of skill in the rest of the draft. Ideally I'd like Benning to trade down to 13.

To FLA:

10th Overall

To Van:

13th Overall

52nd Overall (from Pitt)

Draft:

40 - Nils Hoglander

52 - Vladislav Firstov

Free Agency:

Sign Gardiner 5 x 6

- It's an overpayment, and I'm not all in on it but I have a feeling Benning is going to do it. It does make our D core better right away. If you look at Gardiners partners in TO he was handicapped a lot of the time.

Sign Ferland 4 x 4

- Adds grit and skill to bottom six. 17 goals last season replaces what we lost in Virtanen. Good on the PK too.

Zucker - Petey - Boeser

Schaller

Edler - Miller

Gardiner - Stetcher

Hughes - Schenn

Brisebois - Biega

Markstrom

Demko

Nope.                                     Steamer_pdn1.jpgSmall.jpg.077875b3c1ce0235d38c4c7734746eaa.jpg                   Not Me!

Edited by 6string
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

gaunce isnt gonnabe  our 4th liner and not sure what your talking about with beagle hes a great 4th line center   i say trade tanev and sutter and eriksson first guys that need to be gone. hutton and stecher and baertchi and goldobin can be traded as well     im not opposed to  retaining marleau  for tanev and a second rounder and 3rd or clarksons contracts for picks as a cap dump or eriksson for lucic and a pick or propect. Theres a ton of moving parts hope benning  gets broberg at the end of tomorrow and boeser and schenn signed 

No way to that 1st trade. Erickson to Ottawa is better (after July 1st) for maybe a 4th (maybe a 3rd.). 2nd trade is too much, I think we get Miller (who I think we need to go after) for less, perhaps a lesser prospect and a 4th or 5th. VGK need to shed salary so they pay a little extra not get a lot more. 3rd trade is close but not a 3rd for 50% retained. 4th trade.....don't want Zucker that much, would rather go after Panarin. 5th trade is a big no for me unless we can get closer to 40th as a second piece. As far as Sutter goes I would consider moving him to Edmonton for Lucic if the they were to really sweeten the deal otherwise maybe Anahiem to replace Kesler. Signings..... don't mind Gardiner or Ferland. As far as the draft goes I'm hoping for Boldy or Krebs (whoever JB prefers actually) and for our 2nd pick I really hope we take L.Thomson, after that ....in JB we trust.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JAVA-1 said:

No way to that 1st trade. Erickson to Ottawa is better (after July 1st) for maybe a 4th (maybe a 3rd.). 2nd trade is too much, I think we get Miller (who I think we need to go after) for less, perhaps a lesser prospect and a 4th or 5th. VGK need to shed salary so they pay a little extra not get a lot more. 3rd trade is close but not a 3rd for 50% retained. 4th trade.....don't want Zucker that much, would rather go after Panarin. 5th trade is a big no for me unless we can get closer to 40th as a second piece. As far as Sutter goes I would consider moving him to Edmonton for Lucic if the they were to really sweeten the deal otherwise maybe Anahiem to replace Kesler. Signings..... don't mind Gardiner or Ferland. As far as the draft goes I'm hoping for Boldy or Krebs (whoever JB prefers actually) and for our 2nd pick I really hope we take L.Thomson, after that ....in JB we trust.

hope virtanen stays i like his progression last yr.  when hes 26 he will be a key player in our cup drives 

• Upvote 1

The Wild have too many LWs - that's why Zucker is available.  They don't want one in return.  Fenton confirmed that he is looking for a scoring right shot - a 30 goal scorer like Zucker and that's not Virtanen.  They also have too many Fs so they wouldn't want 2 in return.

Quite a few teams are apparently interested in Miller - highest bidder.  

Gardiner is looking for a 50M contract minimum per Dreger - that would be some 7M or more over 7 years.

Ferland got his goals playing in the top-6 in Carolina.  Ferland is not a penalty killer.  He had 1min39 total on the PK all season - that's an average of 1 second per game.  

He apparently wants a similar contract to Wilson but his play dropped after another back/neck injury.  Not sure he'll get that much but he's probably looking for more than 4 years.

Edited by mll

16 minutes ago, 6string said:

Nope.                                     Steamer_pdn1.jpgSmall.jpg.077875b3c1ce0235d38c4c7734746eaa.jpg                   Not Me!

Stanley Pork?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Threadsetter1 said:

To Ottawa:

Sutter

To Van:

4th rd pick 2020

To Vegas:

Lind

Hutton

2020 3rd

To Van:

Miller

Clarkson (contract)

To Toronto:

Tanev (50% retained)

2019 3rd

To Van:

Kapanen

To Minnesota:

Virtanen

Baertschi

OTT 2020 4th rd pick

To Van:

Zucker

To FLA:

10th Overall

To Van:

13th Overall

52nd Overall (from Pitt)

Draft:

40 - Nils Hoglander

52 - Vladislav Firstov

Free Agency:

Sign Gardiner 5 x 6

Sign Ferland 4 x 4

Zucker - Petey - Boeser

Schaller

Edler - Miller

Gardiner - Stetcher

Hughes - Schenn

Brisebois - Biega

Markstrom

Demko

{ puked in mouth }

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 6string said:

That. Is. Hilarious.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JAVA-1 said:

That Thomson kid is no longer hiding in the rough...TSN mock draft has him going around 18....  Too bad really as THN and ISS have him right at 40, close to where we pick...I’ve been hoping we can get him too, 17 goals in the WHL is nothing to sneeze at..right shot defenseman etc.   Would be as good as Woo was last year maybe better.    Hope Button and Co didn’t just screw with our plans because up until a few days ago nobody had him going that high, now everyone is aware of him and won’t sleep on the chance..

51 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That Thomson kid is no longer hiding in the rough...TSN mock draft has him going around 18....  Too bad really as THN and ISS have him right at 40, close to where we pick...I’ve been hoping we can get him too, 17 goals in the WHL is nothing to sneeze at..right shot defenseman etc.   Would be as good as Woo was last year maybe better.    Hope Button and Co didn’t just screw with our plans because up until a few days ago nobody had him going that high, now everyone is aware of him and won’t sleep on the chance..

I hope they trade up to get him then.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, JAVA-1 said:

I hope they trade up to get him then.

Me too..I’d consider trading all our sixth rounders ha ha.   Maybe Tanev is going somewhere for two cracks in the second round..we could swap picks to make up the difference...if he’s still around in the second round OTT goes first ... wonder what Benning can do with them to gaurantee us getting him.  Also my post was wrong, the more recent rankings by THN and ISS have him around 36 not 40...he’s definitely a candidate to go in the first round as he’s arguably the third best RHD available, and really the talent level isn’t that far off from the guys ahead of him.  THN says he’s already got elite passing and shooting ability, NHL caliber.  Not much not to like about the FIN.   Also he had to adjust to the North American game which makes him a bit of a sleeper...his 17 goals despite the adjustment period  in I think 63 games though...kind of leaps out at you.

If he’s available and we pass on him I might throw the remote.   Going to get two extra remotes just in case he does something completely off board in the first round ... and a second remote in case LT is available and we pass on him.  Unless it’s N Foote, he’s got the pedigree and once he fills in screams power forward and plays left wing (future  line mate for EP and Boeser)...that is unless we take Boldy which is also my preference for the first round another LW which is our weakest side upfront.

As far as I’m concerned if we get both these guys (Boldy and LT) this draft will become just as successful as the last two.   Second best would be the same thing in reverse, Seider and Foote or just as good  Broberg and Foote.

We need both a top six guy and a top pairing defenseman out of this draft, and guys that are close that can play draft plus two (one more year in the minors like with EP and Hughes).

That way we will have players trickling in continuously over the next two years...this year its Hughes and OJ, next year maybe Broberg or Seider or Boldy, the following one Foote or LT etc.   This pattern is all the team needs to be successful, as long as we don’t lose sight of that and blow our cap load on expensive UFAs this team has a real chance at becoming something special.

As it is already this team is going to be better than the WCE one in a couple years.  Why? We actually have a second line, and way better goaltending.  Our forwards as a whole is better...only our defense is lacking...for now at least.   FYI I don’t consider signing Myers or Gardiner or both blowing the cap as long as it’s reasonable.  5-6 would be great, 6-7 fair, more than that blowing our wad.

• Upvote 1