The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] 2019 NHL Entry Draft

Rate this topic

Haven’t stopped hoping for Boldy since I read about him a few months ago.  Also don’t think we could go wrong with Zegras or Krebs...Caufield big risk big reward, but he might not be here anyways... Dach and Turcotte would be great but they won’t either.   Seider or Broberg OK...Soderstrom no thanks too small (so that’s who we will pick because each year he picks the one player I’m not as fond with and the past two years he’s turned/turning into a star) ha ha .  Happy Draft Day...any predictions?!  Are we moving up or down or picking BPA or a defenseman?

Edit:  second round wish list...L. Thomson assuming he slips to us (recent rank at 36 ISS/THN but TSNs mock draft has him going late teens)

Or 

Nolan Foote.  (Ranked 40-44 right around where we pick) no more smurfs please

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Baer. said:

Why the hell do we have to wait until 5pm? Why not have it in the morning

First round is always around 5pm for both ratings and getting as many tickets sold as possible. A morning slot on a Friday when most people work from morning to mid noon on a weekday wouldn’t be as good of a viewership and turnout. The rounds 2-7 start on Saturday morning and I’ll be there bright and early to see those underdogs and sleeper picks.

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

First round is always around 5pm for both ratings and getting as many tickets sold as possible. A morning slot on a Friday when most people work from morning to mid noon on a weekday wouldn’t be as good of a viewership and turnout. The rounds 2-7 start on Saturday morning and I’ll be there bright and early to see those underdogs and sleeper picks.

Yes but you see I am biased, as Fridays are my Saturdays.

• Cheers 1

Jim will get a good player. Drafting is his strength. Cant wait to see who joins the prospect pool so we have something new to talk about!

I doubt we can go top 3, but maybe make a splash and move up to 6th?

-10th for Edm 8th and Lucic, 2m salary retained (partial cap dump)

-8th + Hutton for Det 6th

-Draft Byram 

1 hour ago, Shiftynifty said:

He was my guy all year long, until he had that achilles injury :(

You mean the injury which is supposed to have virtually no impact on his long-term development? 

I'd be perfectly happy if JB acquires Krebs. 

He's the kind of player you win with in the end, don't let this setback sway you Shifty, Krebs is still in the mix in a big way imo.

• Upvote 1

Does anyone think we should take Podz if he slips to us?  ISS had him ranked 4th BPA ahead of Cozens and Dach....scouts say he breaks the mould as far as traditional Russians go in that he seeks out and invites physicality and plays the rat a bit too.  He’s obliterated international tourneys playing against the best prospects in the world, 8 goals and 11 points in the Hlinka-Gretzky tourney etc... 

He won’t be available for two years which bites.   And like others there is always the risk the KHL will come calling later.  

On the flip side you’d think Tree and Goldobin would be happy about this.  If it meant we have both Tree back and a future star RW for the start of 2021-2022 would it be worth the wait?

Almost certainly we won’t see anyone from this draft playing for at least one year, maybe two, probably three.  

Would be an ideal line-mate for either Horvat or EP.   It would undoubtedly solve our top six issues for years.

I like Boldy but he’s definitely in a different class.  He’s inconsistent and not nearly as physical.  He happens to be who I’m hoping for but I can’t deny the BPA between the two has to go to Podz.  One scout says this “ if you take Hughes and Kakko out of the mix this kid (Boldy) has probably shown me the next best game...but he’s also shown me the type of game you’d see from a 150 down the list player, the lack of consistency is surprising for a guy with such high level tools.”  In other words what player are we actually getting?  A top line winger or a third or fourth line fringe NHLer at best? 

I’m not sure what the best choice is but would still stick with Boldy as he’s a LW...thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

You mean the injury which is supposed to have virtually no impact on his long-term development? 

I'd be perfectly happy if JB acquires Krebs. 

He's the kind of player you win with in the end, don't let this setback sway you Shifty, Krebs is still in the mix in a big way imo.

Not sure why anyone should worry about that.  He played almost every game this season (all but three) and managed to get his points (mostly assists) despite having very little to work with.  It’s easy to get your points when you have a Caufield type finishing for you (Hughes) if we need to worry about anyone staying healthy it’s Turcotte.  Managed only 30 games ... Krebs is a warrior did his job day in day out with no support.  I’d be happy with him, future replacement for Horvat possibly, and if we had to could switch him to the wing like any center we might choose.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Does anyone think we should take Podz if he slips to us?  ISS had him ranked 4th BPA ahead of Cozens and Dach....scouts say he breaks the mould as far as traditional Russians go in that he seeks out and invites physicality and plays the rat a bit too.  He’s obliterated international tourneys playing against the best prospects in the world, 8 goals and 11 points in the Hlinka-Gretzky tourney etc... 

He won’t be available for two years which bites.   And like others there is always the risk the KHL will come calling later.  

On the flip side you’d think Tree and Goldobin would be happy about this.  If it meant we have both Tree back and a future star RW for the start of 2021-2022 would it be worth the wait?

Almost certainly we won’t see anyone from this draft playing for at least one year, maybe two, probably three.  

Would be an ideal line-mate for either Horvat or EP.   It would undoubtedly solve our top six issues for years.

I like Boldy but he’s definitely in a different class.  He’s inconsistent and not nearly as physical.  He happens to be who I’m hoping for but I can’t deny the BPA between the two has to go to Podz.  One scout says this “ if you take Hughes and Kakko out of the mix this kid (Boldy) has probably shown me the next best game...but he’s also shown me the type of game you’d see from a 150 down the list player, the lack of consistency is surprising for a guy with such high level tools.”  In other words what player are we actually getting?  A top line winger or a third or fourth line fringe NHLer at best? 

I’m not sure what the best choice is but would still stick with Boldy as he’s a LW...thoughts?

Since we're already waiting another year for Tree, it won't be be an issue to wait 2 years for a potential big time player like Podz. 

But whatever we choose, JB and the scouting team have proven they know how to scout and develop. Whoever they draft, I'll most likely be good with it.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Not sure why anyone should worry about that.  He played almost every game this season (all but three) and managed to get his points (mostly assists) despite having very little to work with.  It’s easy to get your points when you have a Caufield type finishing for you (Hughes) if we need to worry about anyone staying healthy it’s Turcotte.  Managed only 30 games ... Krebs is a warrior did his job day in day out with no support.  I’d be happy with him, future replacement for Horvat possibly, and if we had to could switch him to the wing like any center we might choose.

I agree.  The more I hear about the this kid the more I’m on board.  Racking up points on a crap team is impressive.  The fact that he stuck to his path and his goal to develop into an nhl’er on a weak team is commendable .

this is a throwback attitude for a young man.  Lots of undeniable character and that is what you win with.  Success does not come with an entitled player coming from a stacked team or line.

Edited by riffraff
  • Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Pizza said:

Since we're already waiting another year for Tree, it won't be be an issue to wait 2 years for a potential big time player like Podz. 

But whatever we choose, JB and the scouting team have proven they know how to scout and develop. Whoever they draft, I'll most likely be good with it.

That’s kind of how I feel too with Podz, it will suck to possibly have to wait a year longer then whomever else he could pick, but in reality it most likely will take two years anyways and the timing with Tree’s contract is good.  It would definitely become a bit of an enticer, both guys would have each other to talk and relate too.  WSH always did a good job making sure OVi had someone around from Russia for him, these kind of things matter ... heck we do it too but with Swedes.  

If that’s who we take then I’d consider it a smart play semi-long term.  I wonder if JB would pass on him looking for a guy who can start sooner though...

• Upvote 1