The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] 2019 NHL Entry Draft

Rate this topic

34 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

How is it over-payment? With Barrie, we could be a playoff team in 2020. 
I've banged the table for Virtanen, but this is one scenario where I would be okay with trading him. 
Barrie is a RHD who has averaged over 50 pts the past 5 seasons. Last season he had 59 pts in 78 games last season, and 57 in only 68 games the season before. 
Mackinnon's line really benefited from his excellence as a PMD, and Pettersson's line would benefit in a similar way. But the biggest benefactor might be Edler, who does his best when someone can carry the load as the PMD.

Barrie actually gets shots on net, and has scored at least 10 goals in 5 seasons, solving one of our biggest problems. 

Barrie is a UFA July 1, 2020.  Why give up assets for a player we who might not be here after that?  Sign Gardiner, better defensively for sure (not as good on offence, but didn't get the same PP time as Barrie) and doesn't cost important rebuild assets.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, bishopshodan said:

I'm not kidding, Something has changed with Taylor. Sour patch kid lately, stirring the pot and trolling for some reason.

Recall 2014 -- Taylor was already asking, "To get the top pick, Canucks' 6th... plus Horvat?"

He doesn't seem like the trolling type, or maybe just doesn't like Bo, but it smells a lot like trying to start a fire.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Barrie is a UFA July 1, 2020.  Why give up assets for a player we who might not be here after that?  Sign Gardiner, better defensively for sure (not as good on offence, but didn't get the same PP time as Barrie) and doesn't cost important rebuild assets.  

Barrie is a BC native, born and raised in Victoria. If we traded for him there's a good chance he resigns. If we don't, we would have to enter a bidding war, and the price would be very high for a right-hand puck moving defenseman. Don't get me wrong, I'm tentative about trading Virtanen, but it might be worth it in the end.

One or two players will not make this club a playoff contender. If they made the playoffs it would be based on outstanding goaltending.  They should use their cap space to plug a couple of holes for this season. Trading the future to plug a couple holes for the short term is just ridiculous. That is a move that a team does who is in the hunt for a cup not a team who will struggle to make the playoffs .

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Interesting I’ve just been hoping we can land 1 of these:

Dach

Turcotte 

Byram 

Cozens 

Zegras 

podkolzin 

and to a lesser extent:

Boldy 

Caufield 

we will have a shot at least 1 of these but I really want 1 from that top group.  If canucks are set on a d-man please trade down. 

45 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I'm still very hesitant.

If you look at his overall numbers - they really shot up significantly when MacK, Kog, and Rant formed that 'super-line' and ran rough-shot over the league. 

Arguments could be made that the line benefited from a guy like Tyson feeding them great outlet passes and anchoring the PP with them.

But the argument could easily be made that Tyson benefited equally, if not more, from being on the ice with one of the most dominant offensive lines in recent years. We all know who drives the bus in Col - everyone else, no matter how talented, was along for the ride in the playoffs if you ask me.  

Have we seen the career-best that we'll ever see from this player or is he now entering his prime?

And, most important of all perhaps, his pending UFA status after this season is a real question mark.  If he had a repeat season of last year, no doubt he seeks EK/Doughty type contract which is somewhat frightening if you ask me.  I'm not going near a trade including any 1st (in any year) unless this guy is locked up with term. 

I would think they have found a way to know if TBs interested in that before lighting this fire. 

I hear what you're saying about the point totals, but 5/6 years with 12-14 goals. That means the shot is the real thing. 

Fun times. I doubt anything really comes from this but the idea is intriguing. 

1 minute ago, NaveJoseph said:

Barrie is a BC native, born and raised in Victoria. If we traded for him there's a good chance he resigns. If we don't, we would have to enter a bidding war, and the price would be very high for a right-hand puck moving defenseman. Don't get me wrong, I'm tentative about trading Virtanen, but it might be worth it in the end.

It's JV and the first pick next year for a player who is UFA at the end of next season.  We don't need Barrie on our PP, we have Hughes for our PP.

7 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Wow, I was hoping Dach would fall to where we could at least trade up to get him. That would be huge, and shake up the draft a lot. Still think Colorado should take Byram, but dunno if they can pass on Turcotte. It's conceivable Byram falls to 6...

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Recall 2014 -- Taylor was already asking, "To get the top pick, Canucks' 6th... plus Horvat?"

He doesn't seem like the trolling type, or maybe just doesn't like Bo, but it smells a lot like trying to start a fire.

He never did. I like him but it seems like, maybe since the passing of Botch? he has changed....could be just me.

3 minutes ago, brian42 said:

Interesting I’ve just been hoping we can land 1 of these:

Dach

Turcotte 

Byram 

Cozens 

Zegras 

podkolzin 

and to a lesser extent:

Boldy 

Caufield 

we will have a shot at least 1 of these but I really want 1 from that top group.  If canucks are set on a d-man please trade down. 

Like last year with Kokey and Hayton, hoping the likes of Caufield and Broberg get taken before us.

1 minute ago, NaveJoseph said:

Wow, I was hoping Dach would fall to where we could at least trade up to get him. That would be huge, and shake up the draft a lot. Still think Colorado should take Byram, but dunno if they can pass on Turcotte. It's conceivable Byram falls to 6...

"Detroit is on the clock... and we have a trade to announce... and you're REALLY going to want to hear this one."

The roof may blow off.

• Cheers 3

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Lol Jake Gardiner is a turn over machine and horrendous in his own end. I’d rather give up assets for Barrie then sign Gardner to an inflated 6 year 7 million/season contract. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Comeback_Kings said:

It's JV and the first pick next year for a player who is UFA at the end of next season.  We don't need Barrie on our PP, we have Hughes for our PP.

We had Spooner playing point on our second unit PP... Spooner. We need another PMD.

Edler/Barrie and Hughes/Tanev on even strength; Edler/Boeser and Barrie/Hughes on our PP would exponentially improve things. 

I've defended Virtanen a lot on here, but we shouldn't be so attached to our players that we can't make a move to improve the team. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1