The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

I’ve been hard on Podkolzin. I Amit it. but he’s a Canuck now. So I’m on the Podkolzin train. I see him as a huge piece for playoff success. He is that grit that Canucks lacked.

In this draft I liked the finesse skilled players more but in reality Canucks do need a Podkolzin type guy.

Cant wait to see him on the ice in a Canuck uni.

• Cheers 4

Just now, canuck_in_england said:

This is a genuine question before anyone rips me a new one. To me his goal scoring record doesn't stand out, this is not something to care about at all at his development level I guess? Do scouts pay attention to points at this stage?

Podkolzin was amazing against his age group.  Although he is pretty much a full year younger than those guys too, he did great.  He’s still 17 and played much of this year in the KHL.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Hughes waited less than a year, and Petey was in the NHL after just one year. That being said, I imagine of the players left only Podkolzin and maybe Boldy would likely be NHL ready in the same timeframe that Petey and Hughes were, so you're probably right about anyone else taking 2 years or more. 

I'd still love to see us negotiate for his release after one season, especially if he lights it up next year. It'd be pretty cool to see him and Tryam back in the lineup at the same time.

If not anything else, it would keep our streak of Calder contenders intact :lol:

Will be really interesting as the Hughes brothers battle it out for the calder this season. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, canuck_in_england said:

This is a genuine question before anyone rips me a new one. To me his goal scoring record doesn't stand out, this is not something to care about at all at his development level I guess? Do scouts pay attention to points at this stage?

If you're talking about last season, its probably because he played in 3 different leagues.  Kinda hard to get into a groove if you get shuffled around a lot.  He said it wasn't physically tough but it was mentally tough.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Honestly he will probably be ready for the NHL after one season in the KHL.

Brian Burke said this kid is NHL ready NOW.  If Burkie says it I dont take those words lightly.  Burke was gushing over this kid.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CanuckGAME said:

Brian Burke said this kid is NHL ready NOW.  If Burkie says it I dont take those words lightly.  Burke was gushing over this kid.

Wouldn't surprise me if he was but doubt he's ready to make an impact at the NHL level.  3rd line, absolutely.

1 minute ago, CanuckGAME said:

All the scouting reports I read said exactly this too. Which is why I didn't care about him not being in the AHL or CHL. Kid is pretty ready. Let him mature and finish becoming a man at home. Which is perfectly reasonable.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3