The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

11 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Great comparison! Except Russian and a little bigger.  Same huge heart, drive and leadership with a bit more skill then Stan?  

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Way more skill than Steamer, but definitely similar heart, and love of competition.  

Every kid that comes in now  has more skill than 70% of the players in the 70s and 80s.

But goalies sucked and their equipment actually fit not 5 sizes too big.

He's definitely bigger than steamer but just like skill average size is much higher now in NHL

Steamer put up 8 - 20+ goal seasons. 3 -  30+ goal seasons. His numbers were very good except last 3 seasons

If Podz can match Smyl's offensive output we'll be happy. Except his last 3 seasons. The first 10 years were very good offense for now days. He put up .85 PPG in those 10 yrs. 

If Pods averages 70 Pts per year plus plays with that intensity and passion and no quit drive...

i think that's Steamer in a nutshull.. I think we'll be happy.

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Crappo is looking better than Jack Hughes for sure.  But Podz is definitely a more impactful player than both.  

I think Podz was a top 3 pick, if he wasn't signed forb2 years in the KHL. We got another future Calder trophy competitor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think Podz was a top 3 pick, if he wasn't signed forb2 years in the KHL. We got another future Calder trophy competitor.

He is going to have to figure out how to start finishing and actually putting up points first. Read a couple articles about that being one of the reasons he fell. Even without monster points,  he would still be a very useful player,  but unless he starts turning chances into actual points,  he was drafted around the right spot . He is getting more ice time now , and has better linemates,  so im sort of waiting to see if he puts it all together offensively. Very young in a mans league , but that still hasnt happened yet. His advanced stats are decent,  but his points totals are terrible.  

Edited by cuporbust

9 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

He is going to have to figure out how to start finishing and actually putting up points first. Read a couple articles about that being one of the reasons he fell. Even without monster points,  he would still be a very useful player,  but unless he starts turning chances into actual points,  he was drafted around the right spot . He is getting more ice time now , and has better linemates,  so im sort of waiting to see if he puts it all together offensively. Very young in a mans league , but that still hasnt happened yet. His advanced stats are decent,  but his points totals are terrible.  

Hes still very young, lots of raw talent. A risky pick but he's already putting it together and his production is starting to sky rocket. Great signs.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

This is partially, who he's being paired with. A lot of fans forget that he's only 18, and playing in a mens league. Until recently, he was limited to very minimal minutes every game. Now that he's got some better linemates, he's starting to produce at a level in line with some of the better players who have come out of Russia. Considering how low his ice time has been in the first 15 to 18 games, his point totals are actually pretty strong. Not many 18 year olds put up 6 points and show as competitive in the KHL.

When he arrives here at the end of next season, he's going to have the benefit of 2 full seasons of playing against men in the second best league in the world. If he was in the OHL, I really believe that you'd be seeing better than a point per game production out of him.

This kid is going to rock when he gets here!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

I got to see Mark Messier when he played for the Oilers as an 18 year old. He was big, strong and fast, had a lot of skill and played with tenacity and determination but just didn't put up many points that first year and some people were concerned about that. But he was just a green kid playing against much more experienced men. As he matured and it all came together for him the scoring and points started to accumulate and he became a very imposing player. I see the same dynamic unfolding with Podkolzin.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

This is partially, who he's being paired with. A lot of fans forget that he's only 18, and playing in a mens league. Until recently, he was limited to very minimal minutes every game. Now that he's got some better linemates, he's starting to produce at a level in line with some of the better players who have come out of Russia. Considering how low his ice time has been in the first 15 to 18 games, his point totals are actually pretty strong. Not many 18 year olds put up 6 points and show as competitive in the KHL.

When he arrives here at the end of next season, he's going to have the benefit of 2 full seasons of playing against men in the second best league in the world. If he was in the OHL, I really believe that you'd be seeing better than a point per game production out of him.

This kid is going to rock when he gets here!

I believe my exact words were that he is young playing in a mans league . 

Edited by cuporbust

2 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

I'd love to see that, but the problem is, his team is really strong, and is much more likely to go to the finals than they are to miss the playoffs. So it could be well into the spring before he is available.

Fair enough but whether next spring or two falls from now, I'll be happy to bring him in :)