The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

That’s BS Alf , you have not watched Tryamkin play a full game of hockey since he left.

.. and you certainly didn’t watch him play today. 
He is a beast.

Hopefully you’ll see him back  and stop with this spit wash by the end of the month.

Love to see Tryamkin back, but do wonder about his desire to be here.  Pods is a superstar in the making.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

You know JD

Way back when ……...……………...Smyl  -  Gradin - Frazer...….pretty sure both Smyl and Frazer were rookies, and Gradin was pretty young too!

Different age and there's a lot more required out of younger players. Pod has a lot of advantages over everyone else, having a rounded out game, good skill and a mans body. Lind has some of these advantages too but Pod is a much better player

I feel if you expect every rookie to come out and perform like Petey/Hughes/Boeser then you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Even Bo took a few years.

33 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Different age and there's a lot more required out of younger players. Pod has a lot of advantages over everyone else, having a rounded out game, good skill and a mans body. Lind has some of these advantages too but Pod is a much better player

I feel if you expect every rookie to come out and perform like Petey/Hughes/Boeser then you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Even Bo took a few years.

Ouch! NO!...…………..what a silly comment!

But you are doing the opposite......predetermining players before they have taken a stride.

I will agree with you that Podkolzin ceiling is worlds better, but Lind is older, so it is quite possible that Lind has shortened the gap somewhat since his first year

I am not in a pssn contest...…...and it is 7 months away. Also the question isn't whether Lind will be as good, but rather is he good enough to play?

IMO, lets not condemn the guy until we see how it plays out.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

Ouch! NO!...…………..what a silly comment!

But you are doing the opposite......predetermining players before they have taken a stride.

I will agree with you that Podkolzin ceiling is worlds better, but Lind is older, so it is quite possible that Lind has shortened the gap somewhat since his first year

I am not in a pssn contest...…...and it is 7 months away. Also the question isn't whether Lind will be as good, but rather is he good enough to play?

IMO, lets not condemn the guy until we see how it plays out.

I think you've misunderstood what I have been trying to say.

Not really condemning anyone. My expectations are lowered because I think that most of our current prospects will have a development path along the lines of Bo/Virtanen/Gaud. They could step in and play but they won't be making an immediate impact like Hughes/Petey/Boeser and/or might need a year of seasoning in the AHL. The only one that I could see doing that again is Pod because of his overall high skill set and complete game. 

And honestly I can see Lind getting games next year because he is ahead of everyone else and Pod won't be here for another year after this one. He's already in his second season in the AHL. The only problem I could see is us already having to shelter guys like Gaud/Virtanen defensively. That's where a guy like MacE has the advantage on Lind because he's gotten a lot of experience being with this team from call ups. Mac's been pretty much a 13th forward. I have stated that I see Lind getting the same sort of treatment as Mac and being the 1st call up next year, being groomed to be a regular.

I have also stated on other threads that I really want Virtanen and especially Gaud to round out their games. As it stands now the only thing these two bring is some solid secondary scoring. I want that so I don't have to worry about them having to be sheltered anymore so that we can introduce more young players like Lind to the team. Green should have started to give them that sort of experience earlier(ie match up/PK duties). In regards to Jake, a top 6 spot was always open with Bo for a while and Gaud could of had some PK time as a winger. It is kind of late to try and give them that now.

NHL is a tough league and one of the biggest reasons a young player can be held back for a bit is because of their defensive play unless they're really good offensively. We could possibly re-sign Toffoli and that would solidify our top 6 for a while as these young guys progress.

26 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think you've misunderstood what I have been trying to say.

Not really condemning anyone. My expectations are lowered because I think that most of our current prospects will have a development path along the lines of Bo/Virtanen/Gaud. They could step in and play but they won't be making an immediate impact like Hughes/Petey/Boeser and/or might need a year of seasoning in the AHL. The only one that I could see doing that again is Pod because of his overall high skill set and complete game. 

And honestly I can see Lind getting games next year because he is ahead of everyone else and Pod won't be here for another year after this one. He's already in his second season in the AHL. The only problem I could see is us already having to shelter guys like Gaud/Virtanen defensively. That's where a guy like MacE has the advantage on Lind because he's gotten a lot of experience being with this team from call ups. Mac's been pretty much a 13th forward. I have stated that I see Lind getting the same sort of treatment as Mac and being the 1st call up next year, being groomed to be a regular.

I have also stated on other threads that I really want Virtanen and especially Gaud to round out their games. As it stands now the only thing these two bring is some solid secondary scoring. I want that so I don't have to worry about them having to be sheltered anymore so that we can introduce more young players like Lind to the team. Green should have started to give them that sort of experience earlier(ie match up/PK duties). In regards to Jake, a top 6 spot was always open with Bo for a while and Gaud could of had some PK time as a winger. It is kind of late to try and give them that now.

NHL is a tough league and one of the biggest reasons a young player can be held back for a bit is because of their defensive play unless they're really good offensively. We could possibly re-sign Toffoli and that would solidify our top 6 for a while as these young guys progress.

Gotcha

With Gaudette/Virtanen/McCann (Virt/McCann because they made it out of camp 1st year) they had to learn on the fly.... Virt and McCann, just this year are proving their wears...

But as you suggested......they had some rough ones to start.....but now 5 years later....they are pros...…..Gaudette will have a similar learning curve, albeit quicker, because of the NCAA and his age

Fast Forward to Lind and Podkolzin (2 very different players, but having not come into the league, until at least 2 years after the draft, and they are better for the slower assent.

Much closer to the Detroit model. Keep in mind that McEwen is 2 years older than Lind...…...IMO, Lind comes in next year, much better prepared than Jake was. If he does????

Pods, on the other hand has taken huge leaps in the second half of the season and will again next year, IMO. So as a high end, high ceiling player, with 2 years experience playing pro, he should be much better prepared than Jake when he was in the NHL 2 years.. ( IMO, Podz ranking was stunted because of being Russian, and we will be pleasantly surprised )

Well, That is where I lie on that......were good either way! Enjoyed the banter! 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Gotcha

With Gaudette/Virtanen/McCann (Virt/McCann because they made it out of camp 1st year) they had to learn on the fly.... Virt and McCann, just this year are proving their wears...

But as you suggested......they had some rough ones to start.....but now 5 years later....they are pros...…..Gaudette will have a similar learning curve, albeit quicker, because of the NCAA and his age

Fast Forward to Lind and Podkolzin (2 very different players, but having not come into the league, until at least 2 years after the draft, and they are better for the slower assent.

Much closer to the Detroit model. Keep in mind that McEwen is 2 years older than Lind...…...IMO, Lind comes in next year, much better prepared than Jake was. If he does????

Pods, on the other hand has taken huge leaps in the second half of the season and will again next year, IMO. So as a high end, high ceiling player, with 2 years experience playing pro, he should be much better prepared than Jake when he was in the NHL 2 years.. ( IMO, Podz ranking was stunted because of being Russian, and we will be pleasantly surprised )

Well, That is where I lie on that......were good either way! Enjoyed the banter! 

Jake and Gaud are still developing too. Imagine if Jake upped his physicality and/or defensive game and Gaud became one of our main PKers and defensive guys all while they provide the excellent secondary scoring.

Would make us less dependent on guys like Sutter, Eriksson, etc for PK duties and allow us to bring in a Lind or a Hog without needing to worry about sheltering them because they've got good line mates. Would allow us to bring in more gritty players for the bottom 6 too like a Gadjo?(who knows). I want our youngsters with the best chance to succeed and Gaud/Virtanen will have a role to play in that as they round out their games. 

If we re-sign Toffoli/Pearson for a bit and someone steps ups earlier than expected then our top 9 is gonna be incredible and we could eventually trade said assets(Toffoli and Pearson) when they are expiring. They'd essentially be stop gaps and good ones.

Defense is a different story. I have a little worry with how old our core is but we have a pretty good stock of defenseman. Rafferty and Juolevi are good dark horses and Woo/Rathbone are good D prospects. More than likely we will see more D than forwards get chances the next couple of years IMO. Then we have Tryamkin who I am personally lowering my expectations for. Not because I think he's bad(I think he's good) but because it seems we've set a high bar for him and I want him to succeed without that sort of pressure to succeed early if you get what I am saying.

Who knows who we draft in the next few years too. JB has shown he get get good players outside the top 15 and if we get another home-run like Boeser, especially on D, look out. The fact that we still have a good pool with Petey/Hughes/Boeser making the jump early bodes well.

Overall I have tempered expectations because we have been so fortunate but I am still positive about what we have and am excited. It might look different than most optimism but I want to give our youngsters the best environment possible to develop here so I want us to tread just a touch carefully and am willing to be patient.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Jake and Gaud are still developing too. Imagine if Jake upped his physicality and/or defensive game and Gaud became one of our main PKers and defensive guys all while they provide the excellent secondary scoring.

Would make us less dependent on guys like Sutter, Eriksson, etc for PK duties and allow us to bring in a Lind or a Hog without needing to worry about sheltering them because they've got good line mates. Would allow us to bring in more gritty players for the bottom 6 too like a Gadjo?(who knows). I want our youngsters with the best chance to succeed and Gaud/Virtanen will have a role to play in that as they round out their games. 

If we re-sign Toffoli/Pearson for a bit and someone steps ups earlier than expected then our top 9 is gonna be incredible and we could eventually trade said assets(Toffoli and Pearson) when they are expiring. They'd essentially be stop gaps and good ones.

Defense is a different story. I have a little worry with how old our core is but we have a pretty good stock of defenseman. Rafferty and Juolevi are good dark horses and Woo/Rathbone are good D prospects. More than likely we will see more D than forwards get chances the next couple of years IMO. Then we have Tryamkin who I am personally lowering my expectations for. Not because I think he's bad(I think he's good) but because it seems we've set a high bar for him and I want him to succeed without that sort of pressure to succeed early if you get what I am saying.

Who knows who we draft in the next few years too. JB has shown he get get good players outside the top 15 and if we get another home-run like Boeser, especially on D, look out. The fact that we still have a good pool with Petey/Hughes/Boeser making the jump early bodes well.

Overall I have tempered expectations because we have been so fortunate but I am still positive about what we have and am excited. It might look different than most optimism but I want to give our youngsters the best environment possible to develop here so I want us to tread just a touch carefully and am willing to be patient.

Time and development. Its why Benning keeps signing Vets, to shelter the kids.

With that said these kids need to be put in more prominent roles and show they deserve them. Id love to see Gaud and Horvat rotate on the PK more often

13 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Time and development. Its why Benning keeps signing Vets, to shelter the kids.

With that said these kids need to be put in more prominent roles and show they deserve them. Id love to see Gaud and Horvat rotate on the PK more often

I know. Some of our current vets don't bring as much to the table(Sutter, Eriksson, Roussel). I would like to see some removed and replaced with better ones. Ones who can play defensive and provide some secondary scoring or physicality instead of just being defensive. We got too many straight defensive guys.