The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

36 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm sure if L.A. was closer to a contender, he'd love to go back. They're not.

Given the likely cap constraints with the shortened season, how close most teams are to the cap etc, I doubt anyone offers him anywhere close to $8m. He's a +/- 50 point winger, not some PPG phenom.

Most of the teams better than us have even less cap space and/or are even further from the West coast. A few teams worse than us might have interest in signing him and have space but again, then he's wasting the meat of his prime on a poor team and/or further from the West coast again.

So what... you dont think he has a chance to go anywhere... at all... we're his only option. He's going to sign with us for next to nothing. 

Just remember.

Kevin hayes 7.125m 7 yrs nmc. Less than a year ago.

Jvr 7m 5 yrs 2 years ago.

Anders lee. 7m 7yrs. Ntc Less than a year ago. (This was just a resign)

If he resigned with us I cant see it being less than 7x7.

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

So what... you dont think he has a chance to go anywhere... at all... we're his only option. He's going to sign with us for next to nothing. 

Just remember.

Kevin hayes 7.125m 7 yrs nmc. Less than a year ago.

Jvr 7m 5 yrs 2 years ago.

Anders lee. 7m 7yrs. Ntc Less than a year ago. (This was just a resign)

If he resigned with us I cant see it being less than 7x7.

Never said that, let's not straw man. But I think it's pretty clear we're one of his better choices (and with some solid players in Pettersson, Miller, Horvat and his best bud Pearson to play with to boot).

First it was $8m, now it's $7m...

Toffoli doesn't have any of those guys size and JVR has historically been closer to a  60+/- point vs 50 point guy but sure, they're higher end 'comparables' (with accompanying higher end price tags). 

Edited by aGENT

6 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Yeah I agree we have a chance at resigning him for sure.  I guess I'm more assuming he wants to go back to LA. More so than others. The way I see it is we have just as good of a chance to resign him as any other team. Hey if we can get him at 6 mill for a 4 or 5 years sure let's do it. 

I dont think that gets it done though. He'll likely have better offers elsewhere. 

Let me ask you this. Are you willing to give him 8 mill for 6 years? I wouldn't be.

Nope. I wouldn't. I think he's a great addition, he's got skill, snarl and also has chemistry with Pearson as well. It would be great to see him for a full year with the team.  Like you mentioned, around 6 mil at 4 or 5 years is solid. Only time will tell.

Anyway, isn't this the Podkolzin thread? 

Edited by BarnBurner
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, aGENT said:

Do we? I mean yeah, his wife is from there yada, yada but they're going to be a basement, rebuilding team for a good few years. Does he want to spend the meat of his prime on a basement, rebuilding team? Nevermind whether you've asked yourself if L.A. would even want him back given they're rebuilding.

Largely the same in Anaheim (though they're a year or two ahead).

Does he want to gamble San Jose can recover from this year and go there?

Vancouver might in fact be the best team that's semi-close to L.A. / on the west coast. The Canucks also have a reputation as a solid, first class organization that treats players well and it's a beautiful city. Personally, I think it's a pretty safe bet that we have a very solid chance at re-signing him.

All good points, but he does have a cup already so returning to a rebuilding LA isn't a bad idea. Wouldn't be too bad of an idea to just go home to LA and chill in California with his family. I am really hoping he likes it here though, and maybe LA isn't interested in bringing him back. Although I am not sure why they wouldn't want him back. Has playoff experience and is a great player for any team's young kids to learn from.

It's gonna be interesting to see how it all shakes up. He seemingly had instant chemistry with the team and with him our right wing depth is really good. I like our chances of bringing him back, just a matter of what his feelings are. This pandemic might make him want to play at home even more. Regardless of their on ice performance. 

10 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

All good points, but he does have a cup already so returning to a rebuilding LA isn't a bad idea. Wouldn't be too bad of an idea to just go home to LA and chill in California with his family. I am really hoping he likes it here though, and maybe LA isn't interested in bringing him back. Although I am not sure why they wouldn't want him back. Has playoff experience and is a great player for any team's young kids to learn from.

It's gonna be interesting to see how it all shakes up. He seemingly had instant chemistry with the team and with him our right wing depth is really good. I like our chances of bringing him back, just a matter of what his feelings are. This pandemic might make him want to play at home even more. Regardless of their on ice performance. 

If he sees how the US is handling this pandemic, perhaps he's glad to be out of that country. 

As mentioned already, even if he wants to go back to LA, does LA want him back? Is Toffoli willing to take a pay cut to play there as they're likely not wanting to pay top dollar for tank years where all he would do is make their team better (and thus go against the tank nation). If they want experience for their future young players, they already have Kopitar, Doughty, Brown, Carter and Quick still there with the first two likely being career guys (Quick as well, but I suspect he isn't going to last much longer).

His wife was here and didn't come off as someone who hated being here and seemed to actually be welcomed and taking part in the activities here rather than be some depressed isolated individual that wants nothing but to go back home. I was most worried about this, but seeing her response makes me feel very comfortable that we could re-sign him as long as it makes sense to us and we can fit him into our cap.

Oh and as for Podkolzin, it's too bad that the season had to be cut short and this playoff experience would've been good for his development and he was just starting to find his groove. Hopefully he picks up where he left off next season and is able to leap back to the development track that he was on.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

On 3/29/2020 at 8:33 PM, N7Nucks said:

Don’t forget he is good friends with pearson as well

6 hours ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

Don’t forget he is good friends with pearson as well

Who is a UFA next season and could walk as well. Not trying to be a downer, but lets be real there are worse places to ride out your career than LA even if they are rebuilding. I would absolutely love keeping Toffoli and Pearson long term. They are great pieces to surround the Pettersson's and the Boeser's and the Hughes'. Hopefully Toffoli sticks around. I think he would have a lot to teach Podkolzin, just to bring up the main topic of the thread. Lol.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

And back to Podkolzin... Vasily is helping old people in Saint Petersburg during this coronavirus pandemic by delivering ordered food to their homes:

Awesome post thanks. And even more awesome story. Vasili will become like the next Linden or Sedin with this behaviour!

I'm so impressed.

• Cheers 2

I'm feeling there will be a one time exemption to dump some of these salaries ( Erikson,Baerchi  ) that  are preventing teams from keeping under a lower cap next year.The union will sacrifice the few for the many..I'm betting this is going to happen soon

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

kids going to be beauty for the Canucks for a long time. 

I'm really excited for him to arrive. Can't come soon enough. 

I see Podkolzin wears # 88 getting to be a popular number.. Tryamkin also wore #88 when he played in Vancouver..

If Jim decides  not to  resign Tanev the #8 is available..

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, wildcam said:

I see Podkolzin wears # 88 getting to be a popular number.. Tryamkin also wore #88 when he played in Vancouver..

If Jim decides  not to  resign Tanev the #8 is available..

I think he wears #91 or #92. He was wearing #19 in his draft year, because #19 is retired in honour of Markus Naslund, he will just have to flip his number to #91. Or he can just carry on what he wears in the KHL right now, which is #92.

1 hour ago, ruilin96 said:

I think he wears #91 or #92. He was wearing #19 in his draft year, because #19 is retired in honour of Markus Naslund, he will just have to flip his number to #91. Or he can just carry on what he wears in the KHL right now, which is #92.

I believe he wore #19 because he was drafted 2019.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1