The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

21 hours ago, nzan said:

Man I love Larionov. 

I remember a story about Larionov visiting Grand Forks because of the Russian heritage. This was when playing for the Canucks. Eased his home sickness. Maybe other fans have better details. Great player who left the team after coaching abandoned him.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I remember a story about Larionov visiting Grand Forks because of the Russian heritage. This was when playing for the Canucks. Eased his home sickness. Maybe other fans have better details. Great player who left the team after coaching abandoned him.

Coaching abandoned him? Where did you get that from? He left the Canucks because his contract required the Russians to get half his salary if he re-signed with Vancouver, but not if he went to any other team. So of course he went to another team.

• Cheers 3

19 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

I agree. I don't think Pod's skill level is quite as high as those players, but when you consider his compete level/work ethic/playing style, he could be just as valuable to the team. And I think he is already NHL ready, and will be even more so when he comes over here.

how is a guy that score 8 points in 30 KHL games NHL ready?

You know that if you just watch the hi-lites, he scores a point every shift

• Haha 2
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, lmm said:

The stats are not really relevant if you see the minimal ice time he received in the first half of the year.  Once he was getting even 10-12 minutes a night the points followed.  The way he has been developed in Russia will be helpful as he’s learned to contribute without playing 20 minutes a night.  When he is playing for us in 2021 he will likely be starting with 3rd line minutes so will be prepared for that role and will know hoe to work his way up the lineup.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, lmm said:

:)to the point every shift remark

I remembered reading Benning saying  he's close to being an NHL player right now because of his size and strength and that he plays a physical 200' game.

Its reported he has great leadership qualities, great attitude and eager to come to the NHL

Some were saying that if he wasn't still under contract with the KHL, that he would have been picked higher than 10th and has the potential to be the best player from the draft

I know nothing of him, but sure like the sounds of that ;)

Sounds like a good wingman for EP, two young men who play the game right

Watching the old NHL games, I had forgotten than Gretzky killed penalties, funny when you watch the stars of today on the bench during them, you assume the past ones did as well

Maybe these 2 on the odd penalty kill could be a good thing to have teams leery on their pp?

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

18 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

:)to the point every shift remark

I remembered reading Benning saying  he's close to being an NHL player right now because of his size and strength and that he plays a physical 200' game.

Its reported he has great leadership qualities, great attitude and eager to come to the NHL

Some were saying that if he wasn't still under contract with the KHL, that he would have been picked higher than 10th and has the potential to be the best player from the draft

I know nothing of him, but sure like the sounds of that ;)

Sounds like a good wingman for EP, two young men who play the game right

Watching the old NHL games, I had forgotten than Gretzky killed penalties, funny when you watch the stars of today on the bench during them, you assume the past ones did as well

Maybe these 2 on the odd penalty kill could be a good thing to have teams leery on their pp?

Yeah, Gretzky did kill penalties, so did Messier. Gretzky and Messier are one/two all time in short handed goals, followed by Yzerman and Lemieux and Kurri at sixth. Only Goring at fifth was a truly defensive guy, and for a defensive guy he brought a lot of offence.  Players are sure used differently now - maybe that came with the advent of graphite sticks and so many guys that can shoot near a hundred mph on the points on the pp’s. Too much risk of injury blocking shots.

• Thanks 1

On 6/10/2020 at 7:47 AM, lmm said:

Because points are the only indicator of being NHL ready...

39 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

How is Podkolzin's trajectory in development compared to some of the players picked after him? In particular Boldy, Caufield, and Soderstrom, as those were the players CDC were most excited about.

Boldy and Caufield had really nice freshman seasons in the NCAA and Soderstrom played very well as an 18 YO rookie in the SHL.  I'd say all three progressed pretty well this season

-I wasn't impressed with the top 3 as rookies in the NHL.  Hughes, Kakko, and Dach all 3 looked rushed and far from ready.  Obviously far from bust territory, but none of them are sure things

-I wouldn;t say that Byram had a great season in terms of development

-Turcotte had an OK season at Wisconsin

-Seider looks like the real deal

-Cozens stood out in the WHL

-I didn't like Broberg's season or development

-Zegras looked very good this year.

-I was very impressed with Podkolzin.

If I were to redraft the top 10, based solely on this season

-top 3 stay the same 

-Seider at 4

-Cozens at 5

-Zegras at 6

-Podkozin at 7

-Byram at 8

-Turcotte at 9

-Broberg at 10
Not sure anyone from outside the top 10 makes it in, maybe Newhook. 

Very small sample size, take it with a grain of salt.

Edited by BCNate
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Boldy and Caufield had really nice freshman seasons in the NCAA and Soderstrom played very well as an 18 YO rookie in the SHL.  I'd say all three progressed pretty well this season

-I wasn't impressed with the top 3 as rookies in the NHL.  Hughes, Kakko, and Dach all 3 looked rushed and far from ready.  Obviously far from bust territory, but none of them are sure things

-I wouldn;t say that Byram had a great season in terms of development

-Turcotte had an OK season at Wisconsin

-Seider looks like the real deal

-Cozens stood out in the WHL

-I didn't like Broberg's season or development

-Zegras looked very good this year.

-I was very impressed with Podkolzin.

If I were to redraft the top 10, based solely on this season

-top 3 stay the same 

-Seider at 4

-Cozens at 6

-Zegras at 6

-Podkozin at 7

-Byram at 8

-Turcotte at 9

-Broberg at 10
Not sure anyone from outside the top 10 makes it in, maybe Newhook. 

Very small sample size, take it with a grain of salt.

Thanks. I'm optimistic about Podkolzin's development since 18 year old rookies barely play in the KHL. He actually played meaningful minutes at the end of the season and in the playoffs.

Jack Hughes faced a lot of scrutiny for his disappointing season, but it was actually comparable to Kakko's and Dach's as well. I still think Hughes has the most potential out of all of them. Would love for him to come to the Canucks after his rookie contract expires.

Seider was a bold pick, but I loved it. If Detroit is picking 2nd, I think they will get Stutzle to reunite him with Seider. 

Looks like Cozens and Zegras had great seasons. I was hoping Zegras would fall to us, but alas, he was taken one pick before us. 

I'm happy with the Podkolzin pick, because it looks like he's outperforming those picked after him. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, NaveJoseph said:

Thanks. I'm optimistic about Podkolzin's development since 18 year old rookies barely play in the KHL. He actually played meaningful minutes at the end of the season and in the playoffs.

Jack Hughes faced a lot of scrutiny for his disappointing season, but it was actually comparable to Kakko's and Dach's as well. I still think Hughes has the most potential out of all of them. Would love for him to come to the Canucks after his rookie contract expires.

Seider was a bold pick, but I loved it. If Detroit is picking 2nd, I think they will get Stutzle to reunite him with Seider. 

Looks like Cozens and Zegras had great seasons. I was hoping Zegras would fall to us, but alas, he was taken one pick before us. 

I'm happy with the Podkolzin pick, because it looks like he's outperforming those picked after him. 

Podkolzin is a gamer.  He is an absolute ox like Horvat.  I think he will fit very well in our top 6.  Best case for me he is a 60-70 point winger in his prime who is a B**tch to play against.

• Cheers 1

Last I heard was that the KHL was still planning on running Sept-Feb.

If the NHL runs Jan-July, that means we can sign Podkolzin after he is done his contract and have him for more than half the next NHL season.  

I wonder if that impacts how likely we are to re-sign Toffoli (or keep Boeser if we re-sign Toffoli)

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Because points are the only indicator of being NHL ready...

oh silly me, 

maybe you could enlihten me on a few other 8 point , 18 year olds that have cracked an NHL roster

and who'se spot is he taking?

26 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Well if you followed his season, you'd know how his minutes have been handled. Those 8 points that he got were in his last 12 games when they upped his minutes to regular playing time. Also, he had 3 points in 4 playoff games before the pandemic put everything to a halt. Pretty good for an 18 year old in arguably the 2nd best men's league in the world wouldn't you agree?

Now aside from points, he's shown an ability to play a strong defensive game and is a hound on the puck. These attributes will take him far in the NHL. He is nearly 200lbs which is a very respectable NHL weight considering many 18 years are much lighter.

I don't know who's spot he would be taking yet, but we will surely find out by next year.

fair enough

you have clearly watched him much more than me.

I do not pay attention to prospects.

I still think the numbers are against him

he is a left shot RW, which in Travis Greens mind means he is a left winger

It might be disapointing to all of us to see him on left wing, no?

there he has Rooster, Ferland  and Ericksson to beat out for minutes

If he does play RW he has Virtanen, Motte and MacEwen to contend with.

How good do you think he is right now?

how much better than those 6 is he?

Wasn't Jake the most NHL ready guy in his class after the top 3?

51 minutes ago, lmm said:

fair enough

you have clearly watched him much more than me.

I do not pay attention to prospects.

I still think the numbers are against him

he is a left shot RW, which in Travis Greens mind means he is a left winger

It might be disapointing to all of us to see him on left wing, no?

there he has Rooster, Ferland  and Ericksson to beat out for minutes

If he does play RW he has Virtanen, Motte and MacEwen to contend with.

How good do you think he is right now?

how much better than those 6 is he?

Wasn't Jake the most NHL ready guy in his class after the top 3?

Jake was physically NHL ready much like Podkolzin, however it was between the ears that is the difference between the two. What Green has been trying to teach Jake these past couple of seasons where he has been improving in is the two way game. This is something that Podkolzin is already good at now. The reason he had minimal minutes at the start of the year was because they wanted him to hone that aspect of the game before throwing him to the wolves and Podkolzin has taken it in stride when the minutes were given to him. He basically finished the year with 11 points in 16 games with "3rd line" minutes. He will get a good crack at the top 6 next year with the player movement that has happened already and they have made a coaching change that is very familiar with Vasili.

If he does end up on LW for whatever reason, personally I think it'll be easier to crack than RW. Eriksson is a placeholder right now. Podkolzin plays a very similar game to Roussel so could replace him easily. Ferland will have to overcome his injury issues. Podkolzin will have to come in and shine of course and it is a good thing to have an abundance of talent. We can trade a good asset for a good return to help with our future of fill a position of need. It's up to him to earn a spot on the end, but he has shown very promising signs that he can stick in the NHL as soon as he arrives. Benning has always said he will make room for young players when they have earned it.

• Upvote 2