The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

There is no comparison between Virtanen and Podkolzin.  Podkolzin has a work ethic and commitment to excellence that Virtanen can only dream of.  Remember all players coming into the NHL have elite talent.  The biggest difference between guys in the AHL and guys in the NHL is usually between the ears.  Lots of guys get drafted with elite talent but can’t put it all together in the NHL.  

Podkolzin not only has the skill but he has the heart and desire to be a top player in the NHL.  Virtanen doesn’t have that.  He has mostly relied on his elite skill level that has taken him to where he is now.  If he wants to be more than a 3rd liner he has to get his head together and make that commitment to excellence.  Virtanen doesn’t have the skill to be a top 3rd line winger.  He’s not a 200’ player, he doesn’t kill penalties and he can’t be relied on defensively against other teams top players.  Podkolzin on the other hand can be an elite 3rd liner.  But he can also be a very good second line winger with BO.  

Benning gave a message to Virtanen. Guys are coming for his job.  Podkolzin is coming to take his job and he will take it.  I see Podkolzin playing a second line role with BO.  I see guys like Lind or MacEwen playing on that 3rd line.  I don’t see a spot for Virtanen after this season.  He will probably get traded in the summer for a pick or a prospect.  That’s my prediction.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I dont think you have been watching the past two previous games then. The complaint was solely that Podkolzin's game wasn't leading to points. If anything his game is prided off of having excellent work ethic. I've posted several clips in this thread of the past two games where his workethic and will was on display for team Russia. 

Podkolzin was playing with a lot of will, if anything was the only player playing with any sense of will.  Was Russia's most complete player the last two games. 

tenor.gif

If you actually watched the previous game, you wouldn't be saying this. If you did and are still claiming these statements, then your homerism is blinding you. He played poorly the previous game against CZE with very little intensity. Not a big deal. The whole team played like $&!#. The only player to show a consistent level of effort in the CZE game was the goalie Askarov.

Pods played great this game and it was good to see. Complete 180 for him and the team from the previous game. The true test for them will come tomorrow against SWE.

4 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

image.png

These two are listed at 5'10" & 5'11" ... I'd put him closer to 6'2" maybe even 6'3"

LOL Deb. Simple Eye test says it all. Plus I'm a realist. 

Edler is 6'3"   Once Podz gets here & stands next To Edler everyone will see he's 6'1"
Then we'll revisit this.
Also glad 2 games doesn't resonate ones career...

Glad Podz shut the doubters up quickly tonight.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

LOL Deb. Simple Eye test says it all. Plus I'm a realist. 

Edler is 6'3"   Once Podz gets here & stands next To Edler everyone will see he's 6'1"
Then we'll revisit this.
Also glad 2 games doesn't resonate ones career...

Glad Podz shut the doubters up quickly tonight.

But I'm sure, after tonight, he's 6'11".

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

tenor.gif

If you actually watched the previous game, you wouldn't be saying this. If you did and are still claiming these statements, then your homerism is blinding you. He played poorly the previous game against CZE with very little intensity. Not a big deal. The whole team played like $&!#. The only player to show a consistent level of effort in the CZE game was the goalie Askarov.

Pods played great this game and it was good to see. Complete 180 for him and the team from the previous game. The true test for them will come tomorrow against SWE.

Nope, you're wrong.  Sorry though.

• Cheers 3

12 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

It's what they have him listed at here...

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/512832/vasili-podkolzin

KHL has him at 6'3"

So...who knows?  

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=218396

6'0'' 

So...who knows?
I Know he's not 6'4" . 
Soon enough we'll all know. 
Regardless of his height   he's the REAL DEAL.
That's the most important thing now & in the end...

23 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

tenor.gif

If not was the better of the Russian forwards.  Its easy to say Podkolzin did a total 180 in this game's performance, but people will only say that because he got 3 points. The mainstay of his game that has been a constant in all 3 round robin games and the 1 exhibition was Podkolzin's work ethic and work rate. Whether hounding down pucks, blocking shots, and playing soundly on the PK, he has been consistent on all fronts.

To address you assumption, yes, I did watch last game. Podkolzin's effort was just the same last game as it was tonight, only difference was that he was finally rewarded for his hard work. Perhaps the facade that he got 3 points suggests that his intensity and work ethic was more on display, but if anything his tournament up to this point, even minus tonights game if you will, suggests Podkolzin's game has been steady, consistent, and has brought his best each night.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

image.png

These two are listed at 5'10" & 5'11" ... I'd put him closer to 6'2" maybe even 6'3"

Out of curiosity, I right clicked-viewimage-magnify by 200% the image then scrolled the top of Pods head to the shortest guy. Scrolling back up you can see the difference is definitely more than three inches. If they over-stated the other guys height then that would obviously affect things though. 

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

There is no comparison between Virtanen and Podkolzin.  Podkolzin has a work ethic and commitment to excellence that Virtanen can only dream of.  Remember all players coming into the NHL have elite talent.  The biggest difference between guys in the AHL and guys in the NHL is usually between the ears.  Lots of guys get drafted with elite talent but can’t put it all together in the NHL.  

Podkolzin not only has the skill but he has the heart and desire to be a top player in the NHL.  Virtanen doesn’t have that.  He has mostly relied on his elite skill level that has taken him to where he is now.  If he wants to be more than a 3rd liner he has to get his head together and make that commitment to excellence.  Virtanen doesn’t have the skill to be a top 3rd line winger.  He’s not a 200’ player, he doesn’t kill penalties and he can’t be relied on defensively against other teams top players.  Podkolzin on the other hand can be an elite 3rd liner.  But he can also be a very good second line winger with BO.  

Benning gave a message to Virtanen. Guys are coming for his job.  Podkolzin is coming to take his job and he will take it.  I see Podkolzin playing a second line role with BO.  I see guys like Lind or MacEwen playing on that 3rd line.  I don’t see a spot for Virtanen after this season.  He will probably get traded in the summer for a pick or a prospect.  That’s my prediction.  

Couldn't have said it any better.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:
If not was the better of the Russian forwards.  Its easy to say Podkolzin did a total 180 in this game's performance, but people will only say that because he got 3 points. The mainstay of his game that has been a constant in all 3 round robin games and the 1 exhibition was Podkolzin's work ethic and work rate. Whether hounding down pucks, blocking shots, and playing soundly on the PK, he has been consistent on all fronts.

To address you assumption, yes, I did watch last game. Podkolzin's effort was just the same last game as it was tonight, only difference was that he was finally rewarded for his hard work. Perhaps the facade that he got 3 points suggests that his intensity and work ethic was more on display, but if anything his tournament up to this point, even minus tonights game if you will, suggests Podkolzin's game has been steady, consistent, and has brought his best each n

Tweet summary: He had a few good passes, a couple ok plays along the board and stood in front of the net a bunch.......  he was definitely not hounding the puck all game that's for sure. I guess you missed a good chunk of the game where he was just floating out there and watching the play rather than making the plays happen himself. :rolleyes: 

... Not really worth debating one down game though, so cheers. Hoping for a strong game from him tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Still haven't been able to properly view this kid in a live game(only get NHL), but he sure seems like a beaut.

I wonder could he be a Russian version of JT Miller ?! :^)

Him & Tree should give our squad more confidence & push-back.

EXACTLY what I was thinking just now.  Besides playing center (surprise me, Vasili) his game is pretty complete and he even plays the bumper spot on the PP, while also having an explosive shot from the outside, along with two-way play.   

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Tweet summary: He had a few good passes, a couple ok plays along the board and stood in front of the net a bunch.......  he was definitely not hounding the puck all game that's for sure. I guess you missed a good chunk of the game where he was just floating out there and watching the play rather than making the plays happen himself. :rolleyes: 

... Not really worth debating one down game though, so cheers. Hoping for a strong game from him tomorrow. 

Perhaps also looking at context as you also stated, the whole team wasn't really jiving that game, so perhaps him standing in front of the net was also having to do with Russia deploying odd tactics in the ozone as seen below.

No description available.

Considering Podkolzin is often used as a net front presence, kind of hard to do much when your teammates take muffin shots from a distance and don't really give Vasili much to work with. 

Perhaps you missed the subtle things in his game against the Czechs such as being well positioned defensively, having his stick in shooting lanes, and doing a very good job applying pressure on the forecheck. Just because a prospect doesn't wow you in a particular game does not mean his heart wasn't in it. If anything Podkolzin had a fine game, yes as you also said, made some good passes, strong along the boards, and had a consistent two way effort.

But high expectations and lack of incorporation of context also may lead one to believe his effort wasn't good enough in that game. So cheers, hope you are able to enjoy a growing prospect and see the good things rather than search for the bad ones. Who knows you might actually enjoy the player and watching him more. 

• Cheers 1