The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

32 minutes ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

LOL Deb. Simple Eye test says it all. Plus I'm a realist. 

Edler is 6'3"   Once Podz gets here & stands next To Edler everyone will see he's 6'1"
Then we'll revisit this.
Also glad 2 games doesn't resonate ones career...

Glad Podz shut the doubters up quickly tonight.

Podkolzin's linemate is 6'0".  Podz is easily a couple inches taller than him as shown when they came together after both of his goals today.  I would put Podz at 6'2" right now.  If you look at his feet they are huge and there has been talk that his hands are huge as well.  Lots of guys keep growing until they are at least 20.  By the time Podkolzin arrives in Vancouver he could be pushing 6'3".  At a minimum he will be 6'2" and probably around 215/220 pounds when he is fully grown.  He will be a true power forward in the NHL and will be a pain in the butt to play against.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

If not was the better of the Russian forwards.  Its easy to say Podkolzin did a total 180 in this game's performance, but people will only say that because he got 3 points. The mainstay of his game that has been a constant in all 3 round robin games and the 1 exhibition was Podkolzin's work ethic and work rate. Whether hounding down pucks, blocking shots, and playing soundly on the PK, he has been consistent on all fronts.

To address you assumption, yes, I did watch last game. Podkolzin's effort was just the same last game as it was tonight, only difference was that he was finally rewarded for his hard work. Perhaps the facade that he got 3 points suggests that his intensity and work ethic was more on display, but if anything his tournament up to this point, even minus tonights game if you will, suggests Podkolzin's game has been steady, consistent, and has brought his best each night.

I saw the same. He played a good positional game, made smart plays, and worked hard.

It's not his fault that Russia's team game wasn't clicking and other players were out of sync with one another. They were fumbling easy set plays and got out worked. When they did get chances the Czech goalie made some nice saves. I thought Pod himself played not great but steady and consistent.

Now that he's scored, hopefully he will relax and play some more good hockey. His passing, vision, and anticipation were great but his defensive awareness has been under appreciated by the people looking solely at his offensive output. His board work was impressive as well.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

image.png

These two are listed at 5'10" & 5'11" ... I'd put him closer to 6'2" maybe even 6'3"

27 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Out of curiosity, I right clicked-viewimage-magnify by 200% the image then scrolled the top of Pods head to the shortest guy. Scrolling back up you can see the difference is definitely more than three inches. If they over-stated the other guys height then that would obviously affect things though. 

My eye puts him t 6'1'' - 6'2'' today... 

But 6'4''  :picard:

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=218396 

-6'0'' 

https://dobberprospects.com/player/vasili-podkolzin/     

-6'1''

https://www.celebsagewiki.com/vasily-podkolzin

6'0''

https://www.capebretonpost.com/sports/hockey/canucks-top-10-prospects-vasili-podkolzins-two-way-game-is-nearly-nhl-ready-505245/

6'1''

https://canucksarmy.com/2020/09/08/video-vancouver-canucks-prospect-vasili-podkolzin-scores-goal-khl-season/

In other news, the KHL website has also updated its height and weight information of Podkolzin, claiming that he is 192cm (6’3″) tall. I don’t know if I can 100% say that he is not 6’3″, but I am pretty certain he is still the shortest player on his young guns line, he is potentially taller than Kirill Marchenko, who is listed at 189cm (6’2″) on the KHL site.

Ivan Morozov is measured at 6’1″ on the KHL website yet he is noticeably taller than both Marchenko and Podkolzin. So who knows what’s going on with that Russian website!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news on the height thing. The website also has him at 92kgs (203lbs). That is possible as he does look thicker than last season. It’s hard to tell on the ice but I just don’t think he grew three inches since being drafted.

In the end, it was a good performance from Podkolzin today and we will continue to follow his year in the KHL as it goes on.

Edited by CoolCanucklehead

2 minutes ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

My eye puts him t 6'1'' - 6'2'' today... 

But 6'4''  :picard:

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=218396 

-6'0'' 

https://dobberprospects.com/player/vasili-podkolzin/     

-6'1''

https://www.celebsagewiki.com/vasily-podkolzin

6'0''

https://www.capebretonpost.com/sports/hockey/canucks-top-10-prospects-vasili-podkolzins-two-way-game-is-nearly-nhl-ready-505245/

6'1''

https://canucksarmy.com/2020/09/08/video-vancouver-canucks-prospect-vasili-podkolzin-scores-goal-khl-season/

In other news, the KHL website has also updated its height and weight information of Podkolzin, claiming that he is 192cm (6’3″) tall. I don’t know if I can 100% say that he is not 6’3″, but I am pretty certain he is still the shortest player on his young guns line, he is potentially taller than Kirill Marchenko, who is listed at 189cm (6’2″) on the KHL site.

Ivan Morozov is measured at 6’1″ on the KHL website yet he is noticeably taller than both Marchenko and Podkolzin. So who knows what’s going on with that Russian website!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news on the height thing. The website also has him at 92kgs (203lbs). That is possible as he does look thicker than last season. It’s hard to tell on the ice but I just don’t think he grew three inches since being drafted.

In the end, it was a good performance from Podkolzin today and we will continue to follow his year in the KHL as it goes on.

The shortest guy is listed at 5' 10".  More than three inches puts him taller than 6" 1"  I was going by the photo and even put in the caveat that the heights of the other players may be off which would affect the comparison. Going strictly by the photo and the other players listed heights, he is at least 6' 2"

At no point did I claim that he was 6' 4".

From watching him play in the last few games and from some of his KHL games. He isn’t going to be a points dynamo.

it’s not a case of stone hands but it’s not really his game. He is very much an all round player with a good defensive mindset.

when he breaks the team here people have him on the 1st or second line. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him with Motte quite often to start with, and would not be surprised if the third line was Motte, Gaud and Pod - which would make it both defensively responsible but also have a good supplemental scoring potential. (Like a 2B line) 

3 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

The shortest guy is listed at 5' 10".  More than three inches puts him taller than 6" 1"  I was going by the photo and even put in the caveat that the heights of the other players may be off which would affect the comparison. Going strictly by the photo and the other players listed heights, he is at least 6' 2"

At no point did I claim that he was 6' 4".

So I said 6'1''-6'2''.
You're saying 6'3''. 
So the real argument you are making  here is 1".  lol.

Like I said earlier, EDLER is 6'3". 
When Podz gets here & is equal to EDLERS height I will 100% admit i was wrong. 
I hope you do the same. 

We'll be talking soon RWMc1 & Deb. :wub:B):rolleyes:

Just now, CoolCanucklehead said:

So I said 6'1''-6'2''.
You're saying 6'3''. 
So the real argument you are making  here is 1".  lol.

Like I said earlier, EDLER is 6'3". 
When Podz gets here & is equal to EDLERS height I will 100% admit i was wrong. 
I hope you do the same. 

We'll be talking soon RWMc1 & Deb. :wub:B):rolleyes:

Nice try.

You claimed that I put him at 6' 4" because of the more than three inches comment.

Why don't you just admit that you screwed up on the math.

• Wat 1

Watched the game tonight and he was much better! I knew he was injured while watching his previous performances because he wasn't playing his typical hard nose game.Something was clearly bothering him and you noticed it tonight he is playing through something. I noticed he has really good playmaking abilities. I knew it was a part of his game that was underrated and now I see why. If he played with guys who could put the puck in the net he probably would have had 3-4 assists tonights. Nice to see him get 2 goals different ways. Special player you will win playoff games with. Couldn't be happier and can't wait to see him in a Canucks uniform soon!

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

EXACTLY what I was thinking just now.  Besides playing center (surprise me, Vasili) his game is pretty complete and he even plays the bumper spot on the PP, while also having an explosive shot from the outside, along with two-way play.   

Pod kind of reminds me a bit of another #92 Gabe Landeskog. Both have good size/strength and use it properly, are leaders, play the right way to win in both ends, both willing to play in the tough areas.

Pod might end up being more of a defensive oriented player though. Landeskog use to be used more defensively(PK/Dzone) but then Mackinnon became a superstar and he's been deployed with him ever since. Still takes and wins faceoffs with Mackinnon though(400+ draws taken each year for last 3 years all above 50% winning). Landeskog is also the perfectly complementary piece for Mack/Rantanen and perhaps Pod can be that for Petey?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Pod kind of reminds me a bit of another #92 Gabe Landeskog. Both have good size/strength and use it properly, are leaders, play the right way to win in both ends, both willing to play in the tough areas.

Pod might end up being more of a defensive oriented player though. Landeskog use to be used more defensively(PK/Dzone) but then Mackinnon became a superstar and he's been deployed with him ever since. Still takes and wins faceoffs with Mackinnon though(400+ draws taken each year for last 3 years all above 50% winning). Landeskog is also the perfectly complementary piece for Mack/Rantanen and perhaps Pod can be that for Petey?

On paper Podz is the complementary hard nosed piece for Petey just like Hogs is the complementary finesse piece for Bo.
i could live with something like this as core structure in near future :

Miller Petersson Podkolzin
Hoglander Horvat Boeser
Lockwood Gaudette Virtanen

Motte X McEwen 

Hughes Tryamkin
Schmidt X

Juolevi X 

Demko

X

Edited by deus.ex.makina

5 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Finally got a chance to watch the Czech game and, imo, Podkolzin was very good, easily the best Russian player, and obviously the team leader.

Good thing you Negative Nellies who think he had a terrible game don't work for the Canucks.

They didn't play Czech last night, it was Austria, You didn't watch did you?

I think people have too high of expectations for Podz.  He won't be a top 6 forward this year or the next.  I see him on a similar path as Bo and Bo was not a top six forward right away.  He was on the 4th and the 3rd lines.  Expect him to develop with maybe 10 to 12 goals for his first couple seasons.  I like Podz and think he is a great prospect for us.  I just don't see him having the start that Pete and Quinn.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2